C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:35 AM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 186 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Default Changing Brake Pads

I've been a shadetree mechanic since the 60's, but I have to admit I find the C6 intimidating. I bought some Hawk ceramic brake pads to replace the stock Z51 pads. I tried to remove one of the front calipers by removing the two 15MM bolts backed up with an 18MM nut, thinking I could then remove the caliper. It didn't seem to want to come off, so I just put it all back together. What am I missing here? I didn't want to risk screwing anything up.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 07:51 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

If you can get the bolts off..it is easy as changing a light bulb. Mine came off easy, but I could not tell you how to safely remove them. Many will post here with how. But I can tell you that after the bolts, it is easy.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:54 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The secret is to hold the 18mm nut and back out the bolt. There's a lot of resistance from the thread lock on the bolt but it does eventually free up.

I had to search all over town for an 18mm open end, for some reason the 18mm is not in most sets and very few places sell an individual 18mm open end. FYI, a small adjustable wrench will work.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:55 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 351 Posts

Old 01-12-2007, 10:23 AM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

So far we are on the same page, but it did not seem like the caliper wanted to come off. How much force does it take to remove it? I am used to them coming off fairly easily once the bolts are removed.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:36 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dan1495
So far we are on the same page, but it did not seem like the caliper wanted to come off. How much force does it take to remove it? I am used to them coming off fairly easily once the bolts are removed.

Thanks for the help.
I haven't done it on the C6 yet, but you don't have to actually remove the calipers to change the pads. On a floating setup like that (unlike the fixed on a C3, ask me how I know) when you remove that bolt as described the calipers pivot upwards and then you can change the pads.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Just remove one of those bolts, and loosen the other so you don't have to hold up the caliper.

The pads have an adhesive on the backing, so you were probably struggling against that without knowing. Use a flat head to pry the pad away from the caliper. Once seperated, you can swing the caliper away like you were expecting to. You should only need to do this on the outer pad, since there isn't much surface contact between the inner pad and pistons. But without doing this, (at least the first time) you'll probably never get it off.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:19 AM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks for all of the replies. Guess I'll try it again this weekend!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
overrev64
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have to use a screwdriver and pry the inboard pad against the caliper a little to give the pads more room to release from the rotor.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:34 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The front calipers will swing up and you can get to the pads. The rear you will need to remove both bolts and pick up the caliper. If your current pads are worn, you will need a "C" clamp to move the piston's back so that you can get the calipers back on. Just use the old pad to bridge the two piston and avoid damaging the pistons.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 178 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by overrev64
You might have to use a screwdriver and pry the inboard pad against the caliper a little to give the pads more room to release from the rotor.

Or use a 6 inch C-clamp to compress the caliper pistons back into the caliper.

Tom
Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I change my pads very frequently for track use so I've got it down to about 1/2 hour with my 4 year old's help. He hands me the pads.

Take two large flat screwdrivers, stick them between the outside pads and the upper and lower edge of the caliper and pry the caliper out using the caliper mount for leverage. Your objective is to pull the caliper outward from the car which pushes the pistons back in their bore. They are floating calipers - this is hard to describe in words but when you try it'll make sense and you'll feel the caliper slide and the pistons slide in the bore. Beats the heck out of fooling around with a c clamp once you figure this out. It's a real time saver.

Then remove the top bolt on the front calipers (I use a small Crescent wrench to hold the caliper pin from turning, the 18 is a pain to get in and the rear is a different size anyway) and it will pivot down without you touching the bottom bolt. Remove the pads and replace, rotate the caliper back down and tighten the bolt.

Same with the back but take out the lower bolt and rotate the caliper up. You have to pull it up a bit but it will clear the pads so you can get them in and out.

The first time you do this it's harder because of the locktite on the bolt. Next time it will be easier.

BE SURE AND PUMP THE BRAKES BACK TO A FIRM PEDAL BEFORE YOU START THE CAR AND MOVE IT. Many a tech has run into something before they realize you have to do this.
The following users liked this post:
vfmedic (04-18-2020)
Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 PM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:56 PM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I got them all replaced using the suggestions I received from the forum members. Thank you all very much. The part that was concerning me was the fact that the calipers were so tight on the front rotors - compressing the piston a bit did the trick.

They seem to work fine, but I do have one concern. One of the front bolt and nut assemblies will still rotate after the bolt is tightened. None of the other 7 do this. I think this will make sense to those who have changed the pads. Is this a problem?

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been a shadetree mechanic since the 60's, but I have to admit I find the C6 intimidating. I bought some Hawk ceramic brake pads to replace the stock Z51 pads. I tried to remove one of the front calipers by removing the two 15MM bolts backed up with an 18MM nut, thinking I could then remove the caliper. It didn't seem to want to come off, so I just put it all back together. What am I missing here? I didn't want to risk screwing anything up.

Thanks
I've been a shade tree mechanic even longer than you and you will find it very easy. They come off just like most other cars. Every car has their own peculiarity but in the end their mostly the same. I took mine off when I painted the rotors. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:28 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

They seem to work fine, but I do have one concern. One of the front bolt and nut assemblies will still rotate after the bolt is tightened. None of the other 7 do this. I think this will make sense to those who have changed the pads. Is this a problem?

Thanks again.
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right, the bolts should be tight against the caliper mount and should not spin. You sure you didn't cross thread the bolt into the caliper pin? That would cause this problem. I think you can get caliper rebuilt kits for about $20 from the dealer if you did, I think they come with new caliper pins & bolts (but I'm not 100% sure).

Also, probably goes without saying, but you should make sure you have ample grease on the pins so the calipers slide easily. Not too much of course!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Hmmm, that doesn't sound right, the bolts should be tight against the caliper mount and should not spin. You sure you didn't cross thread the bolt into the caliper pin? That would cause this problem. I think you can get caliper rebuilt kits for about $20 from the dealer if you did, I think they come with new caliper pins & bolts (but I'm not 100% sure).

Also, probably goes without saying, but you should make sure you have ample grease on the pins so the calipers slide easily. Not too much of course!
the rebuild kits don't come with new pins. I have spares if he needs them though, pm me and I'll send you a replacement.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Brake Pads

Old 04-01-2007, 06:50 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I change my pads very frequently for track use so I've got it down to about 1/2 hour with my 4 year old's help. He hands me the pads.

Take two large flat screwdrivers, stick them between the outside pads and the upper and lower edge of the caliper and pry the caliper out using the caliper mount for leverage. Your objective is to pull the caliper outward from the car which pushes the pistons back in their bore. They are floating calipers - this is hard to describe in words but when you try it'll make sense and you'll feel the caliper slide and the pistons slide in the bore. Beats the heck out of fooling around with a c clamp once you figure this out. It's a real time saver.

Then remove the top bolt on the front calipers (I use a small Crescent wrench to hold the caliper pin from turning, the 18 is a pain to get in and the rear is a different size anyway) and it will pivot down without you touching the bottom bolt. Remove the pads and replace, rotate the caliper back down and tighten the bolt.

Same with the back but take out the lower bolt and rotate the caliper up. You have to pull it up a bit but it will clear the pads so you can get them in and out.

The first time you do this it's harder because of the locktite on the bolt. Next time it will be easier.

BE SURE AND PUMP THE BRAKES BACK TO A FIRM PEDAL BEFORE YOU START THE CAR AND MOVE IT. Many a tech has run into something before they realize you have to do this.
I have a C6 with Z51 package --

Thanks for the process - It sounds pretty straight forward and similar to my Mazda. One clarifying question --- Do you have to un-hook the parking brake in the rear?

Sorry, I have not searched this but figure if you can answer the question on the brakes you know this -- Oh by the way, what is the torque spec for the lug nuts?

Can't wait for my first HPDE and I am getting ready -- May 11 woohoo... (haven't decided on what pads to put on yet but leaning towards Carbotechs.)
Old 04-01-2007, 06:59 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by willhaveC6
I have a C6 with Z51 package --

Thanks for the process - It sounds pretty straight forward and similar to my Mazda. One clarifying question --- Do you have to un-hook the parking brake in the rear?

Sorry, I have not searched this but figure if you can answer the question on the brakes you know this -- Oh by the way, what is the torque spec for the lug nuts?

Can't wait for my first HPDE and I am getting ready -- May 11 woohoo... (haven't decided on what pads to put on yet but leaning towards Carbotechs.)
You don't have to touch the parking brake.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Lug nut torque is 100 ft lbs.

Quick Reply: Changing Brake Pads