C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Garage set up help desperately needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:57 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Garage set up help desperately needed.

I need help creating a workable garage area.

I can really appreciate the beautiful garages that others have posted pictures of. I think they are awesome and I think the owners should be very proud.

My problem with many of them is they are not representative of the garage dilemma I am currently dealing with. I have a decent size 2 car garage with loft area dedicated strictly as a work area. (All family and holiday storage in a different garage) but with the 58 torn apart in the center and tools I have been accumulating since I was 11 and equipment like compressor, sand blaster, table saws, band saw, grinders, roll a ways, welding gear, etc.. I am fighting a battle of how to set up the garage so I can actually use the tools and space efficiently. Whenever I search the archives on garages or see other sites with garages they seem to be beautiful show rooms but without much shop equipment and tools.

Can some of you who have garages filled with tools and equipment please post some pictures so I can get some ideas on setting mine up so it is usable without being an eyesore or death trap.

Thanks

P.S. I mean no disrespect to the beautiful garages previously posted.

Popular Reply

02-06-2020, 10:43 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Default some 13 years later still struggling with space but ......

I am still struggling for space but 13 years later I have made some progress. I figured I would share an update on this 13 year old post. I am starting once again this year to make improvements and make things easier to get to as I struggle with age.

Sorry a bit dirty in this one but when the Vette is up there is lots of room to work and when its down its at least manageable.

A more organized hardware Area

Small Hardware stuff somewhat organized

Rolling workbench with storage
Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You need a three car garage with 10 foot minimum width for each stall, and your garage should be at least 30 feet deep, also.

Doug
The following 2 users liked this post by AZDoug:
67vetteal (02-07-2020), ptjsk (08-02-2020)
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

The photo below shows my 26' deep by 20' wide two car.

What is not shown is on the other side of the right wall is an enclosed 26 X10 area that contains the sandbalster, welders, bandsaw, drill presses and other shop equipment.

Also what is not shown in that in front of the garage, there is a 25' deep by 20' wide heavy duty peaked roof carport. From the car port beams, I have a chainfall tucked up in between the rafters which may be used for engine removal.

And I still don't really have enuf room to work on the car if it is in the garage, I move it out into the carport area if I have to get in and out underneath the car.

Doug
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Try www.garagejournal.com and you'll find all the garage info you ever wanted, including lots of clever ideas for organizing "normal" garage spaces, not just the "big" ones.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnZ:
kellsdad (02-07-2020), ratvet (02-06-2020)
Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 PM
TexSon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AZDoug,

Is that a Ferrari with a C1 top sitting on it? Bit expensive for a top stand, isn't it?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my58, you have simultaneously triggered the Architect and Gearhead in me at the same time. Here's what I did in my garage. If I can upload some pics to Photobucket, I'll include them in a later post.

I have a 3-car garage that is basically a 2-car garage for me as my wife claims the center stall. Anyway, I bought inexpensive Home Depot unfinished birch veneer cabinets for three walls in the garage. I mounted them at a height that would allow for tool boxes to be located beneath them with their lids open. The cabinets rest on inverted cheap wood base molding that I bought at Home Depot. The cabs are secured to the wall with 2-1/2-inch long wood screws at the tops and bottoms. I installed the cabinets at all three wall ocations with space between them to allow for individual painted wood shelves on vertical standards and brackets (about 4 to 5 feet). The countertops I installed are Hollyberry color (bright red) in a post-formed shape that sit loose on top of roll-about Sears metal 5-drawer cabinets that they put on sale all the time for less than $100/each. The red countertops were chosen to match the Sears Craftsman toolboxes I have. I got my 8-foot-long countertops from Home Depot for under $100 each!! (Actually, I used my Amex reward points to purchase them, so they were basically free). Plastic laminate countertops are relatively easy to keep clean and look great. I've installed inexpensive 2-tube flourescent fixtures to the underside of the cabinets to illuminate the countertops. I also installed several chain-hung 2-tube flourescents from the ceiling to illuminate the cars and garage floor below. I purchased multi-outlet electrical strips from Home Depot and surface mounted them above the countertops for power.

The biggest hurdle to cross is deciding where you want to perform specfic work functions in the garage. In other words, you don't want to have a table saw and woodworking functions in the same area that you use to rebuild carburetors or other parts. If you are forced to, plan for everything to be portable and easily convertible to make the best use of the space.

My garage is constantly a "work in progress". I'll try to post some pics later. Good luck and I hope these tips help.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
steemin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 58,

Check out this website..
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

Good luck
Scott
Old 01-04-2007, 04:43 PM
ml1955
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage set up

I recently added a 24' x 24' in my back yard with a 24' x30' pad in front of it. Inside, I kept my sand blast cabinet, bench grinder (on stand, not work bench) vise ( on I beam stand I built) and drill press all on one side of garage. I set my welder and outlet by the door, so I can weld inside or out, depending on weather. I have a rolling tool chest, and two Gorilla work benches to hold my tools and a tanker style 1950's style desk as a work bench and storage unit as well.They are in same area. All my other tools are segregated by use on pegboard. I found some very cool pergboard shelves at a surpus store that holds my oils, paints and cleaning fluids. Air tools on pegboard next to compressor. I hooked up a air hose reel on ceiling, center of garage so I can have air where I want it with no hose to trip over. Try and keep sand blast cabinet out of direct sunlight, I found staring into reflective glare of a dusty case to be a pain. In a darker area of gargae, it is easier to see parts inside blaster. Hope this helps. I'll try and post some pics. I don't do any woood working in the garage as dust is an issue with my restoration project. I do that either outside or in the 3 car garage attached to the house.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by my58
I need help creating a workable garage area.

My problem with many of them is they are not representative of the garage dilemma I am currently dealing with. I have a decent size 2 car garage with loft area dedicated strictly as a work area. (All family and holiday storage in a different garage) but with the 58 torn apart in the center and tools I have been accumulating since I was 11 and equipment like compressor, sand blaster, table saws, band saw, grinders, roll a ways, welding gear, etc.. I am fighting a battle of how to set up the garage so I can actually use the tools and space efficiently.

A few guiding principles have helped me make the most efficient use of my limited 2-car garage space...

1) Try to establish storage off-site, so to speak. I built a 10' x 12' insulated, powered storage shed on a concrete slab in my backyard, which I can also use as a secondary work area if necessary. All of my extra car parts & stuff goes out there.

2) Get as much as you can off the floor, by any means necessary. Establish as much off-ground storage (cabinets, shelves, rafters, etc.) as possible and use it.

3) Put everything on the floor on wheels. This makes it easy to reconfigure the existing equipment to suit a particular project.

4) Put plugs and lights everywhere. When I first moved in to my house the first project I undertook was installing too many plugs and light fixtures (along with the additional new circuits to power them). This was the single most important modification I made to the garage, for it allowed me to do pretty much anything anywhere in the garage.

Just my 3 cents...good luck with your garage!

Last edited by kbuhagiar; 01-04-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:00 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

The one thing i found was that having the work bench and tools at the rear of the garage makes it easyer
Old 01-04-2007, 07:44 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TexSon
AZDoug,

Is that a Ferrari with a C1 top sitting on it? Bit expensive for a top stand, isn't it?
It was a convienient palce to store the top while I was doing to interior/carpet work, and didn't really have anyplace else to put it that wasn't in the way.

Doug
Old 01-04-2007, 07:49 PM
65Tuxedo
Instructor

I built a 24x48 shop with a full upstairs and I can fill it up in no time. I have found one thing that helps more than anything else.

Every workbench, shelving unit, grinder, fan, sander, welder, etc. is mounted on wheels.

I can rearrange or empty the downstairs in 15 min to get the room to do whatever.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the GREAT Replies. You guys are the best!

It is great knowing I always have this forum as a sounding board and valuable resource for information when I start to panic or feel overwhelmed.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:43 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Default some 13 years later still struggling with space but ......

I am still struggling for space but 13 years later I have made some progress. I figured I would share an update on this 13 year old post. I am starting once again this year to make improvements and make things easier to get to as I struggle with age.

Sorry a bit dirty in this one but when the Vette is up there is lots of room to work and when its down its at least manageable.

A more organized hardware Area

Small Hardware stuff somewhat organized

Rolling workbench with storage
The following 7 users liked this post by my58:
64corvettekid (02-06-2020), Aflyer (02-06-2020), Bluestripe67 (02-06-2020), dcamick (02-07-2020), mcb55-210 (08-02-2020), Muttley (02-06-2020), vwtdi (02-06-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Gavin65
Drifting

Received 745 Likes on 490 Posts

What you have packed into the space you have is quite neat and impressive.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:52 PM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 772 Likes on 432 Posts

Kudo's for resurrecting your own thread 13 years later! That's awesome. I wasn't on this forum that long ago so I've enjoyed reading this new to me thread. Good stuff in here!

Patrick
Old 02-07-2020, 12:06 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

My effort to maximize my available space. Eight foot deep shop at the end.

Two car garage and I've recently added a shop at the end

Get notified of new replies

To Garage set up help desperately needed.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:58 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Gavin65
What you have packed into the space you have is quite neat and impressive.
I agree. Equally impressive is that the '58 appears to be operational and not spread out in pieces......still.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:01 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

22'X29' and it ain't big enough!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:28 PM
my58
Burning Brakes

Thanks for noticing its not in pieces!

I still chip away at improving things on the 58 but here is a picture of it outside and running yesterday.

Doesn't matter how old I get or what ailments I may be dealing with, when I am cruising down the road in the 58, I feel like in that moment I am in my teens again and all things are good in the world.

Last edited by my58; 02-09-2020 at 12:30 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by my58:
KRUSIN2 (06-28-2020), SJW (02-09-2020), Westlotorn (08-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Garage set up help desperately needed.