Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] how do I tell if my windshield is original?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:41 AM
chevy rules
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how do I tell if my windshield is original?

The z06 windshield is supposably thinner correct? My 04 has a manufacturer label on the passenger outside corner. It is exactly like my friends 2000 vette. Plus there is some windshield sealant squeezed out onto the edge of the vin number label(I don't think it would leave the factory like that). I'm assuming its been changed. How do you identify the thinner windshield?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:46 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Just checked out my 04Z. It should say HUD 4.8mm on it. If you're missing the 4.8mm piece, you probably have the coupe/vert windshield, which means it's been replaced.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by bluestreak63
Just checked out my 04Z. It should say HUD 4.8mm on it. If you're missing the 4.8mm piece, you probably have the coupe/vert windshield, which means it's been replaced.
The Z06 and the vert share the same windshield, they are thinner and weigh 5.7lbs lightier than the coupes, but I couldn't tell you by looking at a coupe if it was different. The 4.8mm is definetly on there. I replaced mine after cracking it installing my radar detector , After arguing with two local dealers and three glass shops, I got a recommendation from a forum member to call Corvette Bob at Fitchner Chevrolet was the biggest help ever. Give him a call, he'll most likely be able to tell you how to spot the difference's.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 AM
chevy rules
Instructor

here is what mine looks like. plus the sealant I'm talking about. Does anyone else have this label?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:21 AM
mr-z
Burning Brakes

Somthing do's not look right.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 PM
chevy rules
Instructor

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
The Z06 and the vert share the same windshield, they are thinner and weigh 5.7lbs lightier than the coupes, but I couldn't tell you by looking at a coupe if it was different. The 4.8mm is definetly on there. I replaced mine after cracking it installing my radar detector , After arguing with two local dealers and three glass shops, I got a recommendation from a forum member to call Corvette Bob at Fitchner Chevrolet was the biggest help ever. Give him a call, he'll most likely be able to tell you how to spot the difference's.
I contacted Bob, he was very helpfull. He said the convertible vettes with the hud are the same.(which is what my friends 2000 is). He said judging by the label it is a factory windshield and with the sealant its hard to say if it left the factory that way, but if it was replaced they used the factory windshield.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:06 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Oh...well per the FAQ sticky post #4...

On the Z06 only, both the windshield and backlite have been thinned to save weight. But resistance to stone chipping has been maintained. A total of 5.7 pounds was eliminated. There is cabin quietness as a result. But in a car like the Z06, we don't think anyone will care. Reducing the Z06's overall weight, boosting its power output by 40 hp, and broadening its operating range, made a significant improvement in the car's power-to-weight ratio. All told, Z06 is the lightest Corvette 38 pounds lighter than the former hardtop, 99 pounds lighter than the 2001 coupe and 95 pounds lighter than the 2001 convertible at just 3115 pounds. And remember, it's all about power-to-weight ratio. The result puts it in some very good company, as indicated in the chart.

Guess someone better tell the moderators to update the sticky to say "On the Z06 and Convertible (with HUD) only...."
Old 01-04-2007, 08:14 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

My 02 has the same markings on glass, but definitely does not have sealant goobering up the VIN. The adhesive is at least 1 inch away and a nice round looking bead.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

FWIW, I had a rock chip repaired by a Safelite dealer out of Bowling Green, KY. While we were talking and he mentioned that he was at the assembly plant to help them figure out how to install the windshields because the automated machine was broken. Perhaps your windshield was installed by hand at the factory.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:57 AM
chevy rules
Instructor

Originally Posted by erick_e
FWIW, I had a rock chip repaired by a Safelite dealer out of Bowling Green, KY. While we were talking and he mentioned that he was at the assembly plant to help them figure out how to install the windshields because the automated machine was broken. Perhaps your windshield was installed by hand at the factory.
cool, that should make it more rare and worth more money thanks for the info...

Get notified of new replies

To how do I tell if my windshield is original?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] how do I tell if my windshield is original?