C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

For those in the restoration process - DIY as much as possible

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default For those in the restoration process - DIY as much as possible

My experience has been that restoration "experts" are sometimes really distant relatives of Bubba.

Here's 2 examples:

#1 I always noticed that my power antenna wobbled a bit after my repaint. As it turns out, Bubba's cousin didn't take note that there needs to be a power antenna bracket which is attached to the wheel well and the power antenna itself.

I got the mounting bracket from LICS. Since Bubba welded the mufflers to the pipes - I now could not take off the driver's side muffler (hence no access to where I needed to go).

Reaching up into this blind space to attach everything was a real bear of a job. Took me 2 hours and multiple socket extensions to get the job done - it's now fixxed! The antenna is now firm, no wobble. It was hanging freely before.

#2 The clock was repaired. A new mechanism was put in - never worked right. Sent it off to Jason - "new mechanism" was junk and the clock needed to be cleaned.

For those doing restorations, here are a few tips:

1. If you can do it well - DIY, you'll know it was done correctly and not a rush job.

2. Get multiple referances about who you use - it will prevent future re-do work.

3. Firm estimates in writing with an understanding of any deviation beyond 10% needs a new written estimate.

4. Get old parts back.

5. Timelines - with fiscal discounts if those deadlines aren't met. Extenuating circumstances (for example, Bondo under the paint) needs to be accounted for.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:58 AM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great words of advice from someone who has obviously been there and done that. Experience is priceless.

Bill
Old 12-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris:
Superb advice.

Even if you're a novice or haven't done a specific task before, chances are you can do it better than a large percentage of "professionals". The reason being is that you'll take your time and not be happy until it is perfect. Most guys who do it for a living could do it perfectly but who can afford to pay them $80+ an hour to fiddle with stuff like we the owners would?

A great example of a guy who has jumped in is firstgear. What a magnificent job he is doing. Even went to a welding class!!!
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (09-13-2017)
Old 12-29-2006, 10:04 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very true. Additionally I have found that buying the specialty tools and doing it myself pays off. Normally a freind or forum member will need to borrow the tool and you get the chance to help someone else get it right the first time. A factory assembly manual is also a good investment.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's how i ended up learning to work on my own cars. Too many other people broke or did repairs incorrectly and charged to much for their flawed work in the end. Apparently i need to learn how to paint entire cars next.
ptjsk (09-13-2017)
Old 12-29-2006, 10:25 AM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

The whole purpose of owning a Mid Year is the fun of learning about them. What better way than to do it yourself as far as repairs and most restoration chores. Non of the engineering on these cars is Rocket Science! Patience and a little research prior to attempting the seemingly impossible will add to the fun. JMHO! Happy New Year to all! Al W.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It pays to pick and choose your work:

Most of this stuff is pretty easy and strainght forward. With some effort to learn, time, and patience - the results are where you want them to be.

Somethings need to be farmed out:

- machine work
- painting (for most people)
- other specialty tasks

In these cases, it really pays to do research on whom you use.

Otherwise, you are paying some guy $50 - $80/hour to learn how to incorrectly work on your car.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

thus far, no one has touched my 65 besides me (unless you count Jason restoring my dash cluster). Have only had to go as deep into the engine as swapping an intake, however (and everything else that attaches to it, like water pump, fuel pump, etc. . . ) and have restoed my suspension and such.

Who else would you find to correctly remove and install a dash harness, or refurbish your steering column? We have more CORRECT how to info on this forum anyway, from guys who just did that very same task on the very same car, and from guys (like JohnZ) who "were there".

Of course, the pride of having done it all yourself, properly, is hard to measure.

I might just have to send out my trailing arms over the winter to Bairs, however.
ptjsk (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 07:47 AM
biggd
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 212 Posts

Not to mention, if you're paying a shop to do a restoration you will be under water on that car by the time it's done unless it's a very rare specimen. If you're not willing to do much of the work yourself then you're better off buying one that's all done and sorted out.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:19 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Guys,

Read the dates on this Lazarus thread.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

I agree completely with DIY.

I think it does a diss-service to encourage anyone to buy one of these cars, or any old car if they are not capable, minimally equipped and willing to do a large part of the work and maintenance on it.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:41 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Guys,

LOL! Yea....almost eleven years old, but subject matter still applies today.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:19 AM
emdoller
Melting Slicks

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Great advice. It applies to just about everything I do. My wife often tells me to pay someone to do the many things I do around my house. What I try to explain to her is that she is right provided we can find someone who would do it like it was there own house. Good luck hence my dilemma.

It's also why I do all my repairs and as of last year will not even take my daily drivers to jiffy lube. This is after I found a puddle of oil on my driveway simply because they didn't tighten the oil pan. I did pay someone to put rear wheel bearings in my 68 Camaro recently just because the price was right and they were noted for Camaro repair. They called and said one of my rear brakes was dripping fluid and asked to replace the cylinder. I said ok. When I picked up the car, the brake pedal went to the floor. They put it back on the lift and I watched three guys try to bleed the brakes. They got it better but not right. I took the car home and did it myself.

Ed
Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,325 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
Guys,

Get notified of new replies

To For those in the restoration process - DIY as much as possible

Quick Reply: For those in the restoration process - DIY as much as possible