C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Source for oversized interior screws?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:26 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Source for oversized interior screws?

Does anyone have a reliable source for chrome interior screws with oversized shafts? The chrome screws holding the halo and rear window trim panels on my 65 are barely holding on due to enlarged holes.

Before I drag out the JB Weld, fill up the holes, and re-tap them, I thought I'd ask about the alternative screws.

Years ago Walter's Engineering sold these types of screws for corvettes - standard sized heads but oversized shafts, specifically sold for use in stripped holes. Their web site is still up, running, and accepting orders. However I don't think anyone is home because a few months ago my e-mails to them bounced, my order never was charged to my credit card, and my order never arrived.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:37 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Several of the major Vette vendors have a repair kit for this. It's a bunch of flat rectangular pieces of tin, about 3/4" by 2" each and a handful of pop rivets. Rivet them to the panel around the rear window and halo, then you can use the standard screws into them to anchor the trim. I had the same problem as you, used the kit, now much more secure.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:47 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Plastic drywall anchors work great for those non-stressed trim applications where the holes are oversized.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:57 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

You can also take a small length of wire, about 3/4", and bend it into an "L" shape. Stick it into the hole (a small piece of tape will hold it) and then insert the screw. Unless the hole is very over sized, this will tighten the hole right... If it's much over sized, I would use John's trick from above.

Wire about the thickness of a paper clip works well, as does copper.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
JohnFromVentura
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I think these are #10 screws with #8 heads. My local hardware store actually has these. They are made by the company that makes most screws in white/dark green boxes. If you can't find them I might have an old box someplace.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Coves4me
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, if you have a Pep Boys nearby, they carry the chrome screws with or without the attached countersunk washer. They have them in small blister packs with 4 to a pack. Also, they carry a "Ford" trick that works great on enlarged fiberglass holes. It is a plastic insert that fits in an enlarged hole and is designed with a collar to fit flush and allow you to screw into it as it spreads split legs on the backside. These also come in different sizes and are found in the same area. I've used both the chrome screws and the plastic split collars with great success. Good luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:37 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Does anyone have a reliable source for chrome interior screws with oversized shafts? The chrome screws holding the halo and rear window trim panels on my 65 are barely holding on due to enlarged holes.

Before I drag out the JB Weld, fill up the holes, and re-tap them, I thought I'd ask about the alternative screws.

Years ago Walter's Engineering sold these types of screws for corvettes - standard sized heads but oversized shafts, specifically sold for use in stripped holes. Their web site is still up, running, and accepting orders. However I don't think anyone is home because a few months ago my e-mails to them bounced, my order never was charged to my credit card, and my order never arrived.
His website is down but you can call Dave Walters direct at 305-254-6798. I buy from him often. Call in the mornings.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:40 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

I've used the plastic drywall anchors all over the doors and door sills of my 62, but didn't think there was enough depth in this are of my 65 for them to go in. Perhaps I can cut some drywall anchors down a bit and see how that goes.

I've tried the wire trick but it never seems to work for me.

But first I'll check the local auto and hardware stores for these screws.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Oversized screws

You may try putting a plastic tie strap into the enlarged screw hole. If the hole is really enlarged, you can put two ties in the hole. Once the screw is in, you can cut the tie off with a razor knife. I sometimes use this with tapcon screws into concrete. Works the same way. Jerry
Old 12-27-2006, 05:10 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

great idea's !

Last edited by DSR; 12-27-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:21 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
His website is down but you can call Dave Walters direct at 305-254-6798. I buy from him often. Call in the mornings.
Excellent information. I may give him a call if I can't resolve it locally.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Totally Stainless has a large selection of "Jackson Head" oval head sheet metal screws. #10 screw with a #8 head, #8 screw with a #6 head. Page 142 in the online catalog. www.totallystainless.com

They also have kits to replace a lot of the hardware on mid-years with stainless. Check it out. I love this place.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buns
Totally Stainless has a large selection of "Jackson Head" oval head sheet metal screws. #10 screw with a #8 head, #8 screw with a #6 head. Page 142 in the online catalog. www.totallystainless.com

They also have kits to replace a lot of the hardware on mid-years with stainless. Check it out. I love this place.
Thanks for the reference, I've downloaded their catalog. At the bottom of page 142 where they list the undersized head screws, do you happen to know what that chart is telling me? Is the #8 in reference to the screw or head size?

Last edited by 62Jeff; 12-28-2006 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:25 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Plastic drywall anchors work great for those non-stressed trim applications where the holes are oversized.
This is what I do.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:58 AM
kidvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ace hardware has lots of stainless screws in all sizes and heads. I go there for lots of interior hardware.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:26 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Next time you wander through a junk yard take a screwdriver and a plastic bag. Car manufacturers had their own bolt works when our cars were made and they often filled the cars with screws that have nonmatch head, shank and thread sizes (like the ones that hold the sill plates in a c2 - and those are the same as screws that hold up the sunvisors on full size 70s Chrysler products).

I have a jar of them now.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:33 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Thanks for the reference, I've downloaded their catalog. At the bottom of page 142 where they list the undersized head screws, do you happen to know what that chart is telling me? Is the #8 in reference to the screw or head size?
The #8 and #10 is the screw size. So , if your trim pieces originally used a #8, order a #10 and it will have a #8 size head.

Get notified of new replies

To Source for oversized interior screws?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buns
The #8 and #10 is the screw size. So , if your trim pieces originally used a #8, order a #10 and it will have a #8 size head.
Thank you kind sir.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:59 PM
C Ray
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use round, tapered toothpicks. I break them off to the right length and put the larger end in first. Then it works much like a dry wall anchor.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Instead of Mickey Mousing your car up with the wrong screws just fix it right. Go to Pep Boys and buy the fiberglass boat repair Bondo body filler. It is made by 3M, cost about $8, has a picture of a car and boat on the can, comes in a quart paint type can with a small tube of hardener. The filler is actually a mixture of fine stranded fiberglass and fiberglass resin.

Take a larger drill bit in your hand (not in a drill) and put a medium chamfer in the hole you want to fix. Mix a half a tablespoon full of the premixed resin/fiberglass with a pinch of hardener on a piece of paper from your favorite magazine and using one of their small plastic spreaders located about 18" away from the filler at Pep Boys squeeze it into the hole. Wait 5-6 minutes, redrill the hole to fit the right screw and you've got a repair stronger than the original hole before it was stripped out and you can tighten the heck out of the original screws.

Bubba drilled some 3/4" diameter holes in my car and I used it with blue baseboard painters tape as a backing to fill those large holes. I sanded them down 10 minutes later and it was stronger than the car itself when it set up. I even repaired the broken dash under the steering column with it. I used a hand grinder to remove the damaged glass, used a cut up soda can to form the circle around the steering column hole, sprayed the can with a light shot of silicone spray in order to release the filler, packed the 3M resin/glass filler into the damaged area, let it set, shaped it and it came out very strong and very nice. Even my painter was impressed with the results.

It's easy to work with and I've never done body work before. I used a regular file to shape it as it hardened when I fixed the dash and then finished it off with some 80 grit and progressively finer sand paper as I completed the repair. It's some tough stuff.

As I complete the restoration of my '54 I thought I was going to have to use oversize screws everywhere when putting the interior back together but this stuff is so cheap and easy to use it makes no sense to. I was able to use original size screws to hold the wiring harness clips, washer bottle bracket, heater hose bracket, horn relay and everything else the prior owner(s) hacked up on my car. I can't imagine having drywall screws, aluminum plates with pop rivits or picture frame mounting hardware all over my Corvette.

Last edited by Randy G.; 09-10-2010 at 04:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Source for oversized interior screws?