C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Aligning rear body/rear spring problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Aligning rear body/rear spring problems.

Well, spending time under the new 65 and finding some issues. The car sits lower on the passenger side so I am trying to level the rear of the car. I did notice the two large bolts that connect either end of the spring to the trailing arms were not adjusted equal. So I attempted to make them equal length which of course made the car even more unleveled. So I went to the extreme with the passenger side bolt tightened as far as possible and the driver side backed off as far as possible and that really looks ugly from under the car but did help a little. The driver side body is still higher than the passenger side by about 1/2 " but is the problem with the rear spring? Or bad trailing arm? Or something else? Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 03:16 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
Well, spending time under the new 65 and finding some issues. The car sits lower on the passenger side so I am trying to level the rear of the car. I did notice the two large bolts that connect either end of the spring to the trailing arms were not adjusted equal. So I attempted to make them equal length which of course made the car even more unleveled. So I went to the extreme with the passenger side bolt tightened as far as possible and the driver side backed off as far as possible and that really looks ugly from under the car but did help a little. The driver side body is still higher than the passenger side by about 1/2 " but is the problem with the rear spring? Or bad trailing arm? Or something else? Thanks
Ken, the spring could be sagging on one side. When the car is sitting on level ground is the spring flat, curved down or starting to invert? How are the 4 spring cushions-the ones at the top and bottom of the bolts you spoke of? Squished? If so you may try replacing them and then see where the spring is and make an adjustment in height.
Ken
Old 12-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
Ken, the spring could be sagging on one side. When the car is sitting on level ground is the spring flat, curved down or starting to invert? How are the 4 spring cushions-the ones at the top and bottom of the bolts you spoke of? Squished? If so you may try replacing them and then see where the spring is and make an adjustment in height.
Ken
Hi Ken,

Spring is not flat or sagging. Has good curve to it. Rubber cushions are squished but equal on all sides. If I had to guess, I would think trailing arm. But that would just be a guess. I am still learning.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Spring Height

If the spring is very old or original, it may have lost some of its tension throughout the years. It could still look OK. My 68 listed until I changed out the spring. I would also look at the frame for signs of obvious rust. Best to put the car on a lift and do a thorough inspection. I am hoping for a bad spring. It is an easy and rather inexpensive fix. Jerry
Old 12-26-2006, 03:58 PM
justatoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just had the same problem my guess not the spring. i changed my spring still lower on one side can be many things easy fix put longer spring bolt on one side
Old 12-26-2006, 04:04 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,952 Posts

Ken, if will also make a difference if your measuring the chassis height or the body height. The factory GM service manual tells how to determine if your suspension is setting at the correct ride height (within tolerance spring sag, bushing wear, etc). Even if your car passes this measurement the body may not sit level on the chassis for several reasons (shim pack dimensions, body mount cushion deterioration, body assembly tolerances, body damage repair, etc). I would measure the ride height according to the GM service manual and if everything checks out OK, leave it alone for now. The body on these things are never perfect and if one sits absolutely level from side to side on a frame - it's a fluke. If you ever tear down the car to restore, or decide to replace the body mounts, at that time you can play around with the shim packs a little to level the body up to some extent.

Dan
Old 12-26-2006, 04:23 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

You can also stick a spring doughnut under your right front coil spring to kick the left rear down.

As stated, there are many possible reasons for your list. You might put the body on a frame rack, check all the suspension, could have an unhit body and the thing will still have a little list to one side with everything "in spec".

A half inch isn't much but it's just enough to bring visual attention to it.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Think what I will do for now is set the rear spring at the same height at both sides. Then take a couple of photos and post them. Maybe it's normal and the difference from side to side is about 3/4". Not a big deal to most but I am one of those guys that has to have everything right. just finished re-aligning bumpers, hood, and now trying to level the body. The car is a good car, just neglected for awhile like most old cars. I will never do a body off because this is going to be a show/driver when I am done. But the car has to sit right, drive right, feel right, and then look right. RIGHT!
Old 12-26-2006, 04:43 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Ken,

Spring is not flat or sagging. Has good curve to it. Rubber cushions are squished but equal on all sides. If I had to guess, I would think trailing arm. But that would just be a guess. I am still learning.
What do you think could be wrong with the trailing arm? Unless it was rusted so bad it sagged there should be no issue with the arm relative to ride height. These cars did not alway sit level from the factory. I have seen very original low mileage mid years with 2 and 3 of the large washers installed from the factory on the spring bolts to compensate for the car sitting too low on one side.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:52 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you determined whether or not the frame is the same height off of the ground on both sides of the car? Possibly your body mounts are decaying allowing the body to sit lower on the frame on one side versus another, in which case adjusting the spring will simply compensate for the real problem.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Have you determined whether or not the frame is the same height off of the ground on both sides of the car? Possibly your body mounts are decaying allowing the body to sit lower on the frame on one side versus another, in which case adjusting the spring will simply compensate for the real problem.
I will check that next. First I want to get the spring height on either side equal and go from there as a starting point. Then start taking measurements from all body, frame, and spring points.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1965 rag top
i just had the same problem my guess not the spring. i changed my spring still lower on one side can be many things easy fix put longer spring bolt on one side
But with the longer spring bolt, doesn't the spring look unleveled? That would change the geometry and rear suspension. More tension on one side than the other?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:21 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Distance between the rear frame and the bottom of the trailing arms are 1/2" to 3/4" off. That is after I set the rear spring equal on both sides. R-rear and r-front wheels are covered by the body about 3/4" more than the left side. So car is tilted to the right. Front and rear. frame to ground is 1/2" more on driver side. Spring looks good. Body cushions feel equal, old but equal. May have to rent some frame guages to see if it's the frame. Also could be weak r-front spring! So many options! Are we having fun yet?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Somebody touched on it in an earlier reply, but a bad front coil, can make the rear uneven as well, even though the front looks fairly level.

Doug
Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AZDoug
Somebody touched on it in an earlier reply, but a bad front coil, can make the rear uneven as well, even though the front looks fairly level.

Doug
That will be the next thing I check. Probably the easiest is to replace the rear spring and bushings. Then if that does not help, go to the front coils. I don't see how one side of a rear spring can be weaker than the other but that seems like the logical place to start unless there are others who have had the same problem? I will do a visual to the front springs in the morning. Maybe one was replaced at one time?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

It could be that if the front end had been rebuilt in the past that one of the coil springs are not seated properly. Also I know that from past posts there was an issue or question about the rear camber. If one side has more camber than the other it will sit differently. Can you post a pic of not only the rear spring but also a side shot looking at the rear forward? Dave
Old 12-26-2006, 10:11 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

How about if you jack up the front of the car so that the wheels are off the ground and both sides of the frame [at the front] are the same distance off the ground. This would eliminate the influence of the front springs on the rear of the car. Then measure the back and see what is going on. No sense just buying parts for no reason. You'll be buying enough of them as is.

Get notified of new replies

To Aligning rear body/rear spring problems.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:30 PM
red67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think what I will do for now is set the rear spring at the same height at both sides. Then take a couple of photos and post them. Maybe it's normal and the difference from side to side is about 3/4". Not a big deal to most but I am one of those guys that has to have everything right. just finished re-aligning bumpers, hood, and now trying to level the body. The car is a good car, just neglected for awhile like most old cars. I will never do a body off because this is going to be a show/driver when I am done. But the car has to sit right, drive right, feel right, and then look right. RIGHT!
I would advise against adjusting the door fit on a coupe. It is not easy, and once you loosen the bolts there is no turning back.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
It could be that if the front end had been rebuilt in the past that one of the coil springs are not seated properly. Also I know that from past posts there was an issue or question about the rear camber. If one side has more camber than the other it will sit differently. Can you post a pic of not only the rear spring but also a side shot looking at the rear forward? Dave
Maybe pic tonight, raining here in sunny Cali.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by red67
I would advise against adjusting the door fit on a coupe. It is not easy, and once you loosen the bolts there is no turning back.
Nothing wrong with door fit. Wrong post?

Quick Reply: Aligning rear body/rear spring problems.