C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vaccum pump, modded pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 08:19 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vaccum pump, modded pcv?

Anybody running a vacuum pump or a diffrent type of pcv setup than stock. I got some ideas of my own, But just trying to see if anybody else has anything they have come up w/.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:51 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup... Moroso Crankcase EVAC

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-24-2006, 08:57 PM
Tony @ MPH
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used to think the more vacuum, the better... but beware. Those of us experimenting with some check valves that work awesome, and are seeing 15-20inHg of vacuum in the crank case know... some vacuum is OK, too much vacuum is a problem.

Just be sure that whatever you go with is not capable of drawing too much vacuum or you will have other issues to contend with.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

I bought the newer style valve covers w/ only one vent on each side. Then im going to run the 2 lines to a catch can w/ no pcv valves inline. Then coming out of the catch can you will have the 2 pcv valves inline w/ 2 lines going to throttle body and intake. Then in the catch can will be an adjustable minature vacuum relief valve. This way I can maintain 10-12" hg in the bottom end. And with the extra volume of the catch can it will almost act like a vacuum resevoir.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:15 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Originally Posted by diynoob
I used to think the more vacuum, the better... but beware. Those of us experimenting with some check valves that work awesome, and are seeing 15-20inHg of vacuum in the crank case know... some vacuum is OK, too much vacuum is a problem.

Just be sure that whatever you go with is not capable of drawing too much vacuum or you will have other issues to contend with.
Just in case you hadn't tried this yet.. 12-14in seems to be what has gotten good results. Dont know for sure if that applies to our LSx motors.

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/vacuum-control.html

Arnel
Old 12-24-2006, 09:18 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

Hopefully the intake will be enough to draw 10-12" w/o a fresh air vent, But IDK anybody have any thoughts on that.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:39 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These Pumps can easily draw up to 25" of vacuum but are regulated, thius allowing control of vacuum from 4" to 25".

4 Vane Pump...........3 Vane Pump

4 Vane Front View....4 Vane Pump Side View

4 Vane pump monted, Plumbed and atttached to a the appropriate sized oil evac/seperator -

Old 12-25-2006, 12:47 AM
TYSON1997
Racer

I have a maggie and they replace the stock tensioner so I cant get rid of it. And I cant find a vacuum pump that either doesnt mount right there or is compatible. Any ideas?
Old 12-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Williams
These Pumps can easily draw up to 25" of vacuum but are regulated, thius allowing control of vacuum from 4" to 25".

4 Vane pump monted, Plumbed and atttached to a the appropriate sized oil evac/seperator -

Nice stuff... PM me manu please? Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

4 Vane Pump

Those 4 vane pumps get the job done. PM me if anyone needs details or has questions.

Last edited by Mr. Lucky; 12-26-2006 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:50 AM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Funny ya'll mentioned this now but I just finished installing an electric vacuum pump that's triggerd by a hobbs switch. As soon as it see's boost at 2psi or more, triggers my vacuum pumps to come on. I'm trying to come up with a way to run one the vacuum pump at all times by lowering the voltage to it until it see's boost!! I'm all ears if someone has an idea to do that with. I'm still in the R&D research phase and have just a few bugs to work out. The only question I have for you guys is that where are you guys measuring the vaccum at?? I'm running a vented oil breather cap also but when the pumps come on, you can feel the draw on the oil filler neck pretty well. And the pumps are mounted in the battery tray area and looks pretty clean.

Shahram

PS...I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LRD VDR
Funny ya'll mentioned this now but I just finished installing an electric vacuum pump that's triggerd by a hobbs switch. As soon as it see's boost at 2psi or more, triggers my vacuum pumps to come on. I'm trying to come up with a way to run one the vacuum pump at all times by lowering the voltage to it until it see's boost!! I'm all ears if someone has an idea to do that with. I'm still in the R&D research phase and have just a few bugs to work out. The only question I have for you guys is that where are you guys measuring the vaccum at?? I'm running a vented oil breather cap also but when the pumps come on, you can feel the draw on the oil filler neck pretty well. And the pumps are mounted in the battery tray area and looks pretty clean.

Shahram

If I install a gage in the car, I measure the vacuum at the valve cover area, For a temp measuring point, slip a hose over the dipstick tube.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:16 PM
0Rob@ChampionMotors
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've wanted one of these á while back. You said you would send me a gutted unit to trial fit because one of my intake pipes from the TTI X kit might be in the way. I am still waiting.
Rob.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Boost Master
I've wanted one of these á while back. You said you would send me a gutted unit to trial fit because one of my intake pipes from the TTI X kit might be in the way. I am still waiting.
Rob.
Rob, resend the address and I'll send the gutted pump and bracket...sorry.

Charlie
Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Master
Rob.
Doesn't the passenger charge pipe come up and over the heater core and rad hoses? Like the Stage1 kit? I'm pretty sure it does... and judging by an old pic I have... I would say a pump in the position Charlie puts them in would not work. Maybe a redesigned bracket... assuming there is enough hood clearance? I would think as long as the pump (including the hose ends on top) doesn't mount higher than, say, the coolant reservoir, you might have something(?)

Last edited by Bill Reid; 12-27-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:14 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Could the alternator/pwr steering layout of the GTO be made to work on a C5? It may just open up a location for the evac pump...

Arnel
Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 PM
TYSON1997
Racer

Originally Posted by LRD VDR

Shahram

Sounds cool post some pictures. You could leave the pump on all the time and put an adjustable vacuum relief valve inline w/ system. I bought newer style valve covers w/ only 1pcv vent on both sides. no fresh air breather. Also seales oil neck, This way the motor will seal. Then you can put a vacuum gauge in a valvecover or anywhere in sys thats sees pressure. Gauge is a good idea, If your over 15"hg or so you could be adversly affecting the oiling of wrist pins! Not worth a motor for the little gains youll see.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by TYSON1997
Sounds cool post some pictures. You could leave the pump on all the time and put an adjustable vacuum relief valve inline w/ system. I bought newer style valve covers w/ only 1pcv vent on both sides. no fresh air breather. Also seales oil neck, This way the motor will seal. Then you can put a vacuum gauge in a valvecover or anywhere in sys thats sees pressure. Gauge is a good idea, If your over 15"hg or so you could be adversly affecting the oiling of wrist pins! Not worth a motor for the little gains youll see.
I'll take a temporary reading at the dipstick and post later this wkend.

Shahram
Old 12-28-2006, 02:36 AM
C6dude
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics and details of my electric crankcase evac system.... scroll down for pics

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...t=62128&page=2

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...t=62128&page=4

Get notified of new replies

To vaccum pump, modded pcv?

Quick Reply: vaccum pump, modded pcv?