C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is it a big block car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 07:47 PM
rubrhammer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is it a big block car?

I hate to hash over old topics so I've done the searches and must not be putting in the right key words. I have a 65 vert with a 67 396 and 67 4spd in it. The car came with zero paperwork. First, what is the protect o plate I've seen referred to. Second, other than redline and 80psi oil guage, what should I be looking for to tell if it was origanally a big block car? I bought it in 94 and the last prior registraton was 1982. I only had a plate on it for a while because I sold a car and had credit left with DMV so it really hasn't been driven since 82. I wouldn't know where to start to find documentation.
Thanks for the help guys.
Bob
Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 PM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Look for a rear sway bar. Also straps on the rear u-joints. Large radiator.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:11 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The protecto-plate is in the back of the warranty book.

When was your car made? The big block did not appear until after a certain month.

There are numerous things to look for but best to do search (try big block).

A 66 but a lot crosses over. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ight=big+block
Old 12-17-2006, 08:12 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettes1st
Look for a rear sway bar. Also straps on the rear u-joints. Large radiator.
1965 had the small radiator.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rubrhammer
I hate to hash over old topics so I've done the searches and must not be putting in the right key words. I have a 65 vert with a 67 396 and 67 4spd in it. The car came with zero paperwork. First, what is the protect o plate I've seen referred to. Second, other than redline and 80psi oil guage, what should I be looking for to tell if it was origanally a big block car? I bought it in 94 and the last prior registraton was 1982. I only had a plate on it for a while because I sold a car and had credit left with DMV so it really hasn't been driven since 82. I wouldn't know where to start to find documentation.
Thanks for the help guys.
Bob
Bob,
When you click on the "search" box, select "advanced search". This will bring up a whole new screen.
Type in what you are searching for in the "key words" box
Select "Search Titles" or "Search entire thread"
Drop down a few lines and select "Threads"
Next, select "archives"
Go to the "Search in forum(s)" box and select a forum ("C1 & C2 Corvettes" in this instance)
Click on "Search Now" button

This is what I found when following the above instructions:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...rotect-o-plate
Dave
Old 12-17-2006, 08:27 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Bob,
The Protecto Plate was a small metal card about the size of a credit card that the original owner was given to use when they had service done to the car. It contained the owners information and would be put into a machine below a work order form like the old credit card machines and then the impression was left on a carbonized work form.
One big block sign I know of is the rear sway bar. Only big block cars would get the rear bar.
I'm not too far away from you and I do know of a very good mid year Corvette guy in Gasport that might be able to help you out.

Dennis
Old 12-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do a quick search on 65 and 396 for more details.

What side is the battery on? 396 cars had a it on the driver's side with a removable panel for access. Also, all 396 cars had TI, so there should be evidence of a TI amp on the right inner fender near the front (almost appears to be on the core support but is actually inner fender).
Old 12-18-2006, 12:43 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

BB's had steel caps with bolts on the diff yokes - SB's had U-bolts with nuts.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2006, 01:20 PM
nvr-enuf
Instructor

Default BB identification - Throttle lever

I don't know if this holds true for a 65 but for my 66, there is a unique stamped throttle lever (piece of stamped steel that connects the gas pedal to the carb linkage.

When I purchased the car, I had a very knowledgable guy come over and take a look. He pointed out the obvious BB traits such as the rear end, rear sway, front sway diameter, brake booster, but he was very keen to look at the throttle lever since the small block would work if one converted a car to a big block but most people forget to change this.

SAS
Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Tiros
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

What about the hood?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nvr-enuf
I don't know if this holds true for a 65 but for my 66, there is a unique stamped throttle lever (piece of stamped steel that connects the gas pedal to the carb linkage.

When I purchased the car, I had a very knowledgable guy come over and take a look. He pointed out the obvious BB traits such as the rear end, rear sway, front sway diameter, brake booster, but he was very keen to look at the throttle lever since the small block would work if one converted a car to a big block but most people forget to change this.

SAS
Brake Booster???? What is the proof that a brake booster makes it a real BB? I have never heard that before.

oWEN
Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 PM
rubrhammer
Advanced

Thanks for all the tips guys.
The battery is on the passenger side, no rear sway bar, 5500 rpm redline, staps on the u-joint. It has the 80 ppsi oil guage and the hood is a big block hood and I think it is a 66 hood as the support is on the driver's side. It came without a fan shroud but I did acquire one a couple of years ago. No P O P, as I said no paperwork what so ever.
I had heard somewhere that the front crossmember on bb cars had relief for the crank pulley and mine does.
I didn't think it was a bb car primarilly because of the tach and your responses strengthen that feeling. Funny isn't it how you always hope that you have found one of those lost treasures. Actually kind of glad it isn't though because I want to make it a driver and would never be comfortable cruising around in a mega bucks ride.
Again, Thanks

Last edited by rubrhammer; 12-18-2006 at 04:04 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
1965 had the small radiator.
Actually, the 65 396 has a unique radiator, the same size as the 66 bb radiator except it uses an overflow tank like the small block cars and no radiator cap on the radiator.

Looks like you already know it wasn't a BB, but another giveaway is the fuel line, which can only be properly replaced by lifting the body. The front makes a 90 degree turn toward the fuel pump where the small block is more of a 45 degree angle.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by rgs
Actually, the 65 396 has a unique radiator, the same size as the 66 bb radiator except it uses an overflow tank like the small block cars and no radiator cap on the radiator.

Looks like you already know it wasn't a BB, but another giveaway is the fuel line, which can only be properly replaced by lifting the body. The front makes a 90 degree turn toward the fuel pump where the small block is more of a 45 degree angle.
Probably the fuel line and the throttle lever discussed above are the most reliable tell tell signs of a BB. Other stuff gets changed out or disappears.

Dan
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM
jrm5657
Melting Slicks

Received 686 Likes on 383 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

65 396 uses an aluminum radiator very similar to the small block radiators, although the upper hose connection has a unique curve to it. It is nothing like a 66 or 67 big block radiator. Sounds like the car in question is a small block car, the battery on the passenger side is a dead give away.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:11 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rubrhammer
I had heard somewhere that the front crossmember on bb cars had relief for the crank pulley and mine does.
All 1965 Corvette frames had the relief to provide clearance for the BB crank pulley.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
rubrhammer
Advanced

That explains why mine has it then.

Get notified of new replies

To Is it a big block car?

Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm5657
Sounds like the car in question is a small block car, the battery on the passenger side is a dead give away.
Nope. ALL midyears had the battery on the passenger side, except the '65 L-78 and all A/C cars, regardless of engine. All non-A/C cars (except the '65 L-78) had the battery on the passenger side.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:00 PM
rgs
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrm5657
65 396 uses an aluminum radiator very similar to the small block radiators, ....
except 4 inches wider. The radiator support is unique also. When I got my 65 396, it had a small block radiator mounted on it. It didn't fill the opening in the support. The new correct one I bought does.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:09 PM
rgs
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nope. ALL midyears had the battery on the passenger side, except the '65 L-78 and all A/C cars, regardless of engine. All non-A/C cars (except the '65 L-78) had the battery on the passenger side.
Actually I believe you missed his point. You actually confirmed it in what you wrote. He is saying that if the battery is on the passenger side, that confirms that it wasn't originally a BB which is correct.

Quick Reply: Is it a big block car?