Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Can Anybody Fix a Twitchy C6Z???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:17 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Can Anybody Fix a Twitchy C6Z???

There have been a number of posts referring to the C6Z as twitchy, so I don't think I'm alone. For example, you almost have to hold on for dear life--or at least with both hands--when you hit a bump at any speed or it will throw you to one side or the other. This happens whether I'm running the stock run flats or my Michelin Pilot Cup Sports.

I'm sure there has to be somebody who can set this car up right. The first name that comes to mind is LG--but NJ is a long way from Texas.

I went to Phoenix Performance in PA and was almost willing to give them a blank check to fix the problem. But all they did was a $300 alignment, which solved nothing.

Any suggestions? If I can't get it fixed, I'm thinking of selling the car.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Corvette1221
Burning Brakes

Man, you are going to sell the car if you can't fix it? I think I know what you mean. I have experienced moments, on rough bumpy roads where the Z seems to bounce from one side to another as it hits bumps. But overall my car performs awsome. I wonder if yours is worse?

I always attributed it to the runflats being stiff. And you have tried other tires, non-runflats? Hate to see you have to sell the car over this. I am sure something can be done, but it may cut into the performance handling of the car.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:31 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If anyone can it's LG. They have transport for your car. I'm sure it has to do with rebound and damping(i'm no expert). I bet a set of coil overs would fix it.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

better shocks or coilovers from LGM no reaso for it to be twitchy. People complain about Lime Rock being bumpy. I have real stiff suspension but never feel it because of proper dampening and the car is always under control. Hope your not talking speed bumps at 75 MPH
Old 12-13-2006, 02:44 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a hot topic for the SRT guys on the Viper site. The Viper is with out a doubt 2-3 times worse than the Z.

Many guys on the Viper site claim an improper alignment can be blamed.
Many say the tires.

IMHO it is not the alignment. The car tracks in the surface texture of the road. Especially now that you say Pheonix didn't make it better.

I am convinced it is the wide tires and tread pattern.

I have learned that the best thing to adjust is your grip on the steering wheel. If you hold the wheel too tight you actually send messages to the steering and it will respond without you expecting it to.

By loosening the grip of your hands it is easier to not over reactor over correct( which is natural) to the steering issue or jerky feeling. Part of the jerky feeling is the driver trying to correct the situation and actually you over correct.

I know it sounds crazy but it works well for me.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

It is the very wide tires combined with ruts in roads heavily populated with large trucks. Any car with wide tires suffers from exactly the same behavior on such surfaces.

Put skinny tires on it.............the problem will go away, but others might surface.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:15 PM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by outnumbered
This is a hot topic for the SRT guys on the Viper site. The Viper is with out a doubt 2-3 times worse than the Z.
I drove a new Viper last weekend - that sucker hunted all over the road...

IMO It was a combo of the (very) precise steering rate, the fat tires, and a long wheelbase.

I also noticed it rode more stiffly and "bouncy" - but I dont really consider that a negative....

I also found out the Brembo's on the Viper work VERY well
Old 12-13-2006, 03:30 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank your lucky stars its 'twitchy'. Its otherwise so placid ... you would think you're in your dads Olds.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 PM
M14
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2KZ28CAM
:

I also found out the Brembo's on the Viper work VERY well
When will GM ever learn. It would have been so easy to pick a great, proven braking system off the shelf.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by sefa01
There have been a number of posts referring to the C6Z as twitchy, so I don't think I'm alone. For example, you almost have to hold on for dear life--or at least with both hands--when you hit a bump at any speed or it will throw you to one side or the other. This happens whether I'm running the stock run flats or my Michelin Pilot Cup Sports. Any suggestions? If I can't get it fixed, I'm thinking of selling the car.
Different tires solved 'bump steer' with my C5.
Try different tire pressures and see.
I would suspect taking a few pounds off the fronts may help.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:06 PM
equipone
Racer

Originally Posted by jvp
Fix the nut behind the wheel. It's the only adjustment that needs to be made on the car.

jas
BAHAHA!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 PM
GForceSS
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jvp
Fix the nut behind the wheel. It's the only adjustment that needs to be made on the car.

jas
Ok, gets old....need another excuse

The problem on the street is there, don't take the cars street flaw personal.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by John Shiels
better shocks or coilovers from LGM no reaso for it to be twitchy. People complain about Lime Rock being bumpy. I have real stiff suspension but never feel it because of proper dampening and the car is always under control. Hope your not talking speed bumps at 75 MPH
It actually ran well at Lime Rock, but not that well at VIR and The Glen. In fact, I hit a guide rail at The Glen--which, admittedly, may have been my fault for taking it beyond my limits. Nevertheless, I did more than 25 track days with my CTS-V and a C6 at Pocono, Summit Point, The Glen, Lime Rock, and VIR and never had an incident. By comparison, my C6 (which I traded on the C6Z) always felt like it was running on rails. Starting with when I took it from the dealership, I've never felt that way with the C6Z. Now with 14,000 miles and three alignments, it feels twitchier (if there's such a word) than ever. If I can't get it fixed, I'll go back to running my CTS-V at the track.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There have been a number of posts referring to the C6Z as twitchy, so I don't think I'm alone. For example, you almost have to hold on for dear life--or at least with both hands--when you hit a bump at any speed or it will throw you to one side or the other. This happens whether I'm running the stock run flats or my Michelin Pilot Cup Sports.

I'm sure there has to be somebody who can set this car up right. The first name that comes to mind is LG--but NJ is a long way from Texas.

I went to Phoenix Performance in PA and was almost willing to give them a blank check to fix the problem. But all they did was a $300 alignment, which solved nothing.

The Z may seem twitchy to you because of minor steering inputs you do on rough roads. When the trie touch down they produce cornering forces, which you are interpreting as being twitchy.
Try to hold the steering wheel absolutely still when going over pavement discontinuities. See if that helps the Twitches
Old 12-13-2006, 09:50 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It actually ran well at Lime Rock, but not that well at VIR and The Glen. In fact, I hit a guide rail at The Glen--which, admittedly, may have been my fault for taking it beyond my limits. Nevertheless, I did more than 25 track days with my CTS-V and a C6 at Pocono, Summit Point, The Glen, Lime Rock, and VIR and never had an incident. By comparison, my C6 (which I traded on the C6Z) always felt like it was running on rails. Starting with when I took it from the dealership, I've never felt that way with the C6Z. Now with 14,000 miles and three alignments, it feels twitchier (if there's such a word) than ever. If I can't get it fixed, I'll go back to running my CTS-V at the track.
I have ran VIR and the Glen. I would say mine felt great. Besides Pocono those two have been the nicest track I have been on.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
sefa01
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by jvp
What's old is the bitching, by those who DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRIVE a Corvette, that the Z06 is "twitchy". I'm not taking it personally, I'm arguing a point. And the point is complete BS.

LEARN TO DRIVE your car, and the car won't seem "twitchy" to you. Don't think that you can LEARN TO DRIVE a car after 10-15 minutes behind the wheel. It takes a lot of years.

Get a clue.

Get some driver education.

Get behind the wheel and LEARN TO DRIVE your God damn car.

The more you bitch about it, the more I'm going to slap you around. Consider it a mission of mine. :-)

jas
Besides having a National SCCA license, I have been to Spring Mountain and competed in the Bertil Roos racing series. I also have more than 40 track days with my CTS-V and C6.

Until you actually drive my car, it's moronic for you to come up with the conclusions that you have.

But, of course, your posts have shown that you know everything about driving a C6Z, so perhaps I should bow to your greater knowledge.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Sefa, the quote in bold just sounds very strange to most of us, who also have some experience with this car. I've been to Spring Mt. too, and I don't ever recall thinking I've had to "hold on for dear life" on either street or track in a C6 Z06.

So maybe there is something very strange wrong with your car that we can't relate to not having experienced it, but if that is the case, you gotta admit that it might sound a bit odd to us. Hence, the reactions you received.

Get notified of new replies

To Can Anybody Fix a Twitchy C6Z???

Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 AM
2KZ28CAM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Foosh
Sefa, the quote in bold just sounds very strange to most of us, who also have some experience with this car. I've been to Spring Mt. too, and I don't ever recall thinking I've had to "hold on for dear life" on either street or track in a C6 Z06.

So maybe there is something very strange wrong with your car that we can't relate to not having experienced it, but if that is the case, you gotta admit that it might sound a bit odd to us. Hence, the reactions you received.
Concurred. I have been in a C6 Z06 that had been driven to the edge on varying inclinations, as well as dips/bumps. And it had never, once, felt as it was about to sidestep. It did yaw slightly over bumps, but that was a totally slight and expected reaction in the context of the speed and driver's input at the time.

Slight corrections were all that was needed. There was no sawing at the steering wheel at all.

YMMV
Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 AM
smook
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No bumping here. When do you get this side-stepping effect? Under what conditions?

I've never had an issue.

ENJOY THE RIDE.
-zB.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 AM
Z BEACH
Instructor

Originally Posted by outnumbered

Many guys on the Viper site claim an improper alignment can be blamed.
Many say the tires.

IMHO it is not the alignment. The car tracks in the surface texture of the road. Especially now that you say Pheonix didn't make it better.

I am convinced it is the wide tires and tread pattern.

I have learned that the best thing to adjust is your grip on the steering wheel. If you hold the wheel too tight you actually send messages to the steering and it will respond without you expecting it to.

By loosening the grip of your hands it is easier to not over reactor over correct( which is natural) to the steering issue or jerky feeling. Part of the jerky feeling is the driver trying to correct the situation and actually you over correct.

I know it sounds crazy but it works well for me.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Can Anybody Fix a Twitchy C6Z???