C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

advise on books/videos for restoration

Old 11-28-2006, 12:03 AM
eyedocs96
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default advise on books/videos for restoration

I'm looking for advice on books or videos that are useful for restoring my 65 convertible. My car will be a daily driver and I want to do as much on it as I can. I see that many of the major vendors have different resources but I'm not sure which ones are the best to buy. I have the service manual with the 65 supplement. I will also order the AIM.

1. I need a good source for fiberglass/ body repair.
2. A source on painting the vehicle.
3. A souce for seat reupholstery.
4. Are any of the suspension videos/DVDs worth buying?

Thanks for your input. Your responses will help me with my Christmas list.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
my58
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eyedocs96
I'm looking for

Get a copy of Ecklers complete guide to corvette fiberglass repair. copyright 1988.

It has great pictures and simple to understand explanations. It is just one of many resources but it is great to look over as a refresher or motivator whenever you have some fiberglassing to do.

I also have Ecklers Step by Step guide to fiberglass repair Vol 2 on DVD. I do not think it is as valuable as the book, however it is always nice to see repair work being done. I pick up tips and tricks every time I watch someone do fiberglass work. I have learned a lot by hanging around body shops and asking questions. Often you learn what NOT to do when you do your own work by watching the guys in local body shops. (Believe it or not, learning what not to do is as valuable as learning how to do it correctly)

Good luck and keep us posted on your work. Post some photos of the fiberglass repairs you are going to need to do.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:23 PM
mudbone64
Le Mans Master

Location: I'd like to propose a toast... to internal combustion and wind in the face.
Received 261 Likes on 147 Posts

Default Restoration Books

I am currently deconstructing my 64' and I was wondering if anyone would comment on the Noland Adams complete resotration book. You know, the one that costs about 80 bucks. I am sersiously considering purchasing the book but I would like to know what other people think of it before I commit the money.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eyedocs96
I'm looking for advice on books or videos that are useful for restoring my 65 convertible. My car will be a daily driver and I want to do as much on it as I can. I see that many of the major vendors have different resources but I'm not sure which ones are the best to buy. I have the service manual with the 65 supplement. I will also order the AIM.

2. A source on painting the vehicle.
3. A souce for seat reupholstery.
4. Are any of the suspension videos/DVDs worth buying?

2. Paintucation or Spray Painting 101 are both excellent teaching guides. You can get them at autobodystore.com or Eastwood
4. For a how-to of redoing the suspension with aftermarket, get the appropriate GM Chassis Service Manual. For a restoration, get "1953-1972 Chassis Restoration Guide" by Joe Tripoli
Old 11-28-2006, 02:26 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mudbone64
I am currently deconstructing my 64' and I was wondering if anyone would comment on the Noland Adams complete resotration book. You know, the one that costs about 80 bucks. I am sersiously considering purchasing the book but I would like to know what other people think of it before I commit the money.
I have Volume I which covers only 1953 - 62, but I assume they are the same format. Basically this books gives some Corvette history and development, and then takes you on a guided tour of how your car was built in St Louis, with lots of BW pictures and insights on how things were done and why. It provides most of the part numbers and running changes between model years. For me, this is good stuff not available anywhere else. If you are doing a true restoration to factory original (NCRS or Bloomington Gold style), then you will want this book to guide you as to how things were done.

If you are trying to freshen up all the major components of your car and do not really car about judging per se, then you could probably spend the money on other technical books (service manuals, body work manuals, etc.). Volume I does not explictly tell you how to restore so much as how they were built, and I assume vol II is the same.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM
gonefishn
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

As Joel mentioned, the Paintucation is good. He also has a web forum with much good Q & A:

http://www.leopardsystems.com/paintu...5ea16405f9036f

Another good location is:

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php

You should also visit the ncrs.org library which has many good books.

Depending on what upholstery you'll be doing, Al Knock has some videos for headliner installation and I believe seat installation too.

John
Old 11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NCRS DVD with Corvette Restorer articles for '63-'67 is worth its weight in gold.

Is this deja-vu all over again?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:38 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Must-have books for you are as follows:

1963 Corvette Shop Manual and 1965 Supplement

1965 Corvette Assembly Instruction Manual

Noland Adams' Restoration & Technical Guide, Vol. II ('63-'67)

NCRS 1965 Corvette Technical Information Manual & Judging Guide

1965 Corvette Owner's Manual

Other helpful books you should have:

M.F. Dobbins/Vette Vues 1963-67 Corvette Fact Book

Corvette Chassis Restoration Guide (Joseph Tripoli)

All of these are available from the NCRS on-line store at www.ncrs.org; if Noland's book is sold out again at the store, you can get it direct from Noland at nolandadams@internet49.com.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:06 PM
win1876
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noland Adams body removal video tape and workbook is very helpful if your thinking about a body off frame restoration.

Bill
Old 11-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Shumdit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you have no intention of restoring a C2, or do not even own one, Noland's book is excellent reading. I bought one some years ago and have read it cover to cover many times, just for the informational value. I recently got my first C2 (a 63 SWC) and along with all the restoration receipts, a assembly manual, and a shop manual, what was in the box? ANOTHER one of Noland's books! I guess it will come in handy when I wear the pages out of the first one!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shumdit
Even if you have no intention of restoring a C2, or do not even own one, Noland's book is excellent reading. I bought one some years ago and have read it cover to cover many times, just for the informational value. I recently got my first C2 (a 63 SWC) and along with all the restoration receipts, a assembly manual, and a shop manual, what was in the box? ANOTHER one of Noland's books! I guess it will come in handy when I wear the pages out of the first one!
You could always put it on ebay and use the money for a book you don't have yet! No sense having two copies of an expensive book

Get notified of new replies

To advise on books/videos for restoration

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: advise on books/videos for restoration