C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam installation...need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Z-51 POWER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam installation...need help!!!

Guys:
I am installing a new cam (G5 X3) on my C6 that I bought from LG, they do not use the special tool that helps out so that the listers do not fall through. Where can I get the tool or can I use two shafts instead of the U shaped tool??? Please advise!!!

Regards,
Manuel
Old 11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-51 POWER
Guys:
I am installing a new cam (G5 X3) on my C6 that I bought from LG, they do not use the special tool that helps out so that the listers do not fall through. Where can I get the tool or can I use two shafts instead of the U shaped tool??? Please advise!!!

Regards,
Manuel
I have not done a cam swap on an LS2, but I did on my LS1. I bought some steel 5/16" diameter rod from Home Depot. I can't remember the exact length, but you may want to search on LS1Tech.com. I bent an L in the end to use as handles. I had to grind a small flat on one side of the rod to fit into the passenger side.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:52 PM
ToSlowForU
Racer

Being that your car is new, you should be just fine doing it the old fashioned way. Once you are to the cam and the pushrods are out, roll the cam slowly two or three times. Have your new cam ready to install. Then, out with the old and in with the new.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

then put one bullet in the gun give it a spin and aim at your face .......might work and might have to tear down the motor to get the lifter out. texas speed sells the tool or like they said get some small tubing and you will save some $$
Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Z-51 POWER
Instructor

When you are introducing the two 5/16" shafts, do you have to turn the old cam in order for the shafts not hit the lifters???

Thanks in advance,
Manuel
Old 11-28-2006, 11:17 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z-51 POWER
When you are introducing the two 5/16" shafts, do you have to turn the old cam in order for the shafts not hit the lifters???

Thanks in advance,
Manuel
No, do the following:

1. Remove the rockers and pushrods.
2. Spin the old cam over several times. This gets the lifters in the up position.
3. Now insert the two 5/16" rods.
4. Now you can remove the old cam and quickly insert the new cam.

There are a lot of people that don't use anything to hold up the lifters. This is normally referred to the "Russian Roulette" method as the poster above alluded to. The downside is you will have to remove the heads if you lose a lifter down the hole. The 5/16" rods worked great for me, but I did have to grind a flat all the way down one side to get the passenger side to fit.

Good Luck,
Glenn
Old 11-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

why not simply pull the lifters before you pull the cam ?

remove the pushrods
remove the lifters
remove the cam

edit: here's a good doc.

http://www.iskycams.com/camshaft.php

notice, they recommend replacing the lifters at the same time.

Last edited by Zig; 11-29-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:33 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zig, you obviously have never done a cam swap on an LSx engine. And despite what Isky says, there is no need to swap the lifters. Guys I know have all had way more problems with the aftermarket lifters than with the OEM units, which work just fine with most cam & valvespring combos.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I'm having a hard time picturing where you'd put these rods...

With non-roller lifters/cams you should replace the lifters along with the cam. No one really does with roller cams, not sure why exactly.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Ah, I get it after reading this:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Granted it is an LS1 in an F-Body but the principle is the same.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
Zig, you obviously have never done a cam swap on an LSx engine.
that may be so. but what makes an ls series that much different than any other chevy v8 ? i'm not talking minute details, i'm refering to the mechanics.

can't the lifters be accessed once one removes the intake, and the valley cover ??

personally, i'd never install a new cam without replacing the lifters as well.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A flat tappet develops a wear pattern that matches the cam lobe - must replace both at the same time. Even at very low mileage.

A roller lifter just rolls on the lobe - no appreciable wear. You can reuse roller lifters unless they've got huge mileage on them.

Also do not use assembly lube on a roller cam, just the same motor oil your going to use in the engine on the bearing journals and lobes. M1 5w30.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

[QUOTE=Zig]that may be so. but what makes an ls series that much different than any other chevy v8 ? i'm not talking minute details, i'm refering to the mechanics.

can't the lifters be accessed once one removes the intake, and the valley cover ??

QUOTE]

Zig, look in the FAQ section under mods, cam install and you will see this thread, which you participated in: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1504656

This thread explains that the LSx engines use plastic retainers to hold and align the roller lifters. The retainers and lifters cannot be removed without also removing the heads. The retainers will usually keep the lifters in place when the cam is removed, IF the cam is spun around a few times, but there is also no guarantee that the lifters won't fall down inside the engine anyway, especially if the motor is accidentally jostled. Then you do have to remove the heads to get the lifters out.

There is also an excellent step-by-step install guide available on LS1TECH.COM: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

This guide has good pics of every step. They describe two approaches to keeping the lifters up: one is to use a tool kit from JPR, similar to the homemade tool described earlier in this thread. The other is the "pen magnet" approach, which uses 16 very small magnets that attach (cling to) the tops of the lifters, keep them from falling down. Either method works fine.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:10 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zig
that may be so. but what makes an ls series that much different than any other chevy v8 ? i'm not talking minute details, i'm refering to the mechanics.

personally, i'd never install a new cam without replacing the lifters as well.
I've only done 2 cam swaps in my lifetime. One on a 400 inch Pontiac back in 1970 and one on an LS1 back in 2004. The LS1 swap was so much easier!

On the LS1 (or LS2) the lifters are held by a plastic tray. Once you take out the rockers and pushrods, all you have to do is spin the cam and the lifters will rise up and stay in the up position in the plastic tray. You do NOT need to remove the intake manifold to swap cams and that's why it is so darn easy. If you wanted to do it the old fashion way, you could remove the intake manifold, then remove the valley cover, buy why go to all that trouble if you don't have to?

As far as swapping out lifters, the other poster was exactly right, this is needed only on flat tappet cams where there is sliding friction between the cam and lifter. On a roller, there is rolling contact and the wear couple is such that an old lifter will mate fine with a new cam.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
Originally Posted by Zig

QUOTE]

Zig, look in the FAQ section under mods, cam install and you will see this thread, which you participated in: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1504656

This thread explains that the LSx engines use plastic retainers to hold and align the roller lifters. The retainers and lifters cannot be removed without also removing the heads. The retainers will usually keep the lifters in place when the cam is removed, IF the cam is spun around a few times, but there is also no guarantee that the lifters won't fall down inside the engine anyway, especially if the motor is accidentally jostled. Then you do have to remove the heads to get the lifters out.

There is also an excellent step-by-step install guide available on LS1TECH.COM: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

This guide has good pics of every step. They describe two approaches to keeping the lifters up: one is to use a tool kit from JPR, similar to the homemade tool described earlier in this thread. The other is the "pen magnet" approach, which uses 16 very small magnets that attach (cling to) the tops of the lifters, keep them from falling down. Either method works fine.

i had know idea it made it to the faq.

Last edited by Zig; 11-29-2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glennhl
... If you wanted to do it the old fashion way, you could remove the intake manifold, then remove the valley cover, but why go to all that trouble if you don't have too?
guess, it's just me, but, if i am going to all the trouble of tearing her down that far i might as well take the time and do everything else at the same time. cam, lifters, spings, rockers, etc.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Zig
Safety Car

even though this is for an 'older' engine, i found this article to be interesting.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/howto/46318/

the article states that one should,
"Always inspect used lifters to ensure they are in good condition before putting them back in service."

Last edited by Zig; 11-29-2006 at 11:06 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam installation...need help!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Z-51 POWER
Instructor

I thank everybody for all their help...my kit from LG comes with the pushrods, retainers, springs and the cam. the installation will be done tommorrow, I will let you all know ASAP.

Sincerely,
Manuel
Old 11-29-2006, 12:00 PM
mfoti
Instructor

Default check out ls1howto.com

OK, I have never even seen a cam swap so consider me an idiot.....

but ls1howto.com has a write up on cam swaps and they use 16 cheap telescoping magents from any autoparts store for insurance not to lose the lifters. Lots of pictures.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:42 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mfoti
OK, I have never even seen a cam swap so consider me an idiot.....

but ls1howto.com has a write up on cam swaps and they use 16 cheap telescoping magents from any autoparts store for insurance not to lose the lifters. Lots of pictures.

Hope this helps.
If you use the magnets, just be careful. Some people have lost the magnet tip when they pull them out, then they spend hours trying to fish the magnet out. Some have even epoxied the magnet tips before they use them.

Quick Reply: Cam installation...need help!!!