C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 12:47 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood

I really like these two hoods but want to know if anyone has had problems with water getting inside of the engine compartment??

How dies this hood keep water out?

I know... why drive a Vette in the rain, but it is my only summer car since my father uses my other car as a daily driver for the summer.

Thanks in Advance
Old 09-24-2001, 12:59 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood (NewVetteLover)

The DRM hood is the only real heat extractor hood imho. It has removable plugs for the openings which you can leave in place when it rains. It is designed for racing and doesn't use a hood liner, but it is way cool looking on the outside. :yesnod: Now if only I had one. :sad:
Old 09-24-2001, 01:16 AM
vettvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood (NewVetteLover)

I was told that the water doesn't wet anything of importance.
Old 09-24-2001, 01:44 AM
team-zr1
Burning Brakes

I really like these two hoods but want to know if anyone has had problems with water getting inside of the engine compartment??

I know... why drive a Vette in the rain, but it is my only summer car since my father uses my other car as a daily driver for the summer.

Thanks in Advance
I bought a extractor hood via Ecklers to find it was a BPP custom extractor hood that really is someone elses stock hood they had to use as a core when they bought their so called extractor hood.
The vendor then just kulges on this scoop that to me was never properly tested for it's design and then charges $1,200 for a overweight hood that you then have to pay to get painted.
I tested for about 1 month, thermal mapped and watched airflow to find the hood is nothing but all show and no real extraction but your greenbacks from your bank account. To make it worse I paid for the product and then had to hold my breath for 7 weeks before they finally shipped to me.
Scoop was not even positioned right, the right side of scoop at back hits the right windsheild wiper arm. So with shpping and painted costs you end up with a overweight stock hood with a few holes that suck in far more air then it sucks out.

I have since looked at other brands and I suggest you look at Mallett's for it is properly extracting heat plus preventing front lifting under speed and fits correctly.

John
Old 09-24-2001, 09:52 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood (team-zr1)

Wow John. Sorry to hear about the bad luck, that sucks :nonod:
Old 09-24-2001, 10:28 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood (team-zr1)

Thanks in Advance

I bought a extractor hood via Ecklers to find it was a BPP custom extractor hood that really is someone elses stock hood they had to use as a core when they bought their so called extractor hood.
The vendor then just kulges on this scoop that to me was never properly tested for it's design and then charges $1,200 for a overweight hood that you then have to pay to get painted.
I tested for about 1 month, thermal mapped and watched airflow to find the hood is nothing but all show and no real extraction but your greenbacks from your bank account. To make it worse I paid for the product and then had to hold my breath for 7 weeks before they finally shipped to me.
Scoop was not even positioned right, the right side of scoop at back hits the right windsheild wiper arm. So with shpping and painted costs you end up with a overweight stock hood with a few holes that suck in far more air then it sucks out.

I have since looked at other brands and I suggest you look at Mallett's for it is properly extracting heat plus preventing front lifting under speed and fits correctly.

John
Malletts MCM High Rise Hood?
or
Malletts 427 Hood... which they only sell in their package?

I like those too and they are only 20 minutes away...
Old 09-24-2001, 10:55 AM
NoMercy
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the DRM hood since Aug of 2000. Never had a problem with it. Water, when it does get through, does not touch anything important. The underside is bare. I am still trying to figure out how to dress it up, but overall it looks great and fits well. :D
Old 09-24-2001, 11:31 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood (NoMercy)

My car is at the bodyshop right now getting the Specter Werkes Powerdome hood installed. This hood is available in two ways, with the heat extractors open, and with them closed. It has a very similar design to the RK Sport Hood but has a bit more of an agressive appeal to it. I am not sure how functional the extractors are but they look like they would do some good in sucking out warm air from the engine bay.

I am pretty anxious to get my car back with this hood and the Specter Werkes Rear Fascia installed. I will post some pics when it is back in my posession.

Here is a pic of the hood from Specter Werkes website:

If anyone is interested in more info on this hood, shoot me an email as we are a Specter Werkes dealer.

[Modified by MattG, 10:32 AM 9/24/2001]
Old 09-24-2001, 12:11 PM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

What about the carbon - heat extractor hood form ZIP ????
(see on the forum front page or Corvette magazine under "products").

They say its a good heat extractor and is about 10lbs lighter than stock.

I also like what it looks like!!!

Michael
Old 09-24-2001, 01:27 PM
team-zr1
Burning Brakes

Malletts MCM High Rise Hood?
or
Malletts 427 Hood... which they only sell in their package?

I like those too and they are only 20 minutes away...
MCM: Constructed with the same quality and care as the OEM hood,
the MCM High-Rise is similar to the 427-style hood used on 396 and 435 conversions.
This beauty will give your C5 the distinctive look you've been waiting for, AND it's functional too: the hood can be ordered with the center vent opened to allow excess underhood heat to escape (no additional cost).
Available in 100% carbon fiber (14 lbs), or in 50-50 carbon/fiberglass (24 lbs), all versions come ready to paint (just re-use the hardware from your old hood).

It can be bought alone, check it out on Mallett's online catalog on his website.
I'd go with the 100% carbon fiber and get the most weight savings.

John
Old 09-24-2001, 01:36 PM
onefast99
Melting Slicks

I have the DRM hood on my car. Last month after racing at Etown, I drove thru a huge thunderstorm, when I reached my home I noticed the engine compartment was completely dry except for the radiator shroud and hinge support area. That was the extent of probably 1 o 2 inches of downpour! No need to worry with this hood. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood

Quick Reply: Question for anyone with the DRM Heat Extractor or BPP Heat Extractor Hood