Sponsored by:

Headlight Conversion pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM
SMH
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Conversion pics

Who has converted to the non vacuum style lights. Please post pics and tell where they came from.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 06:20 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Bought them from a forum member, I think they came from Ecklers.

Neal

I have more pics of them before I installed them in the car if you would like I can post them latter tonight.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:57 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are electric conversions available. I don't remember offhand who makes the kit but it's a Forum member. Search around and you should find some info. Electric conversions haven't been discussed for months.

Rick B.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:03 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
There are electric conversions available. I don't remember offhand who makes the kit but it's a Forum member. Search around and you should find some info. Electric conversions haven't been discussed for months.

Rick B.
69MYWAY
Old 11-17-2006, 10:31 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

This should help.

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/Our_Products.html
Old 11-18-2006, 03:02 AM
R Baker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought them also but havent installed them as yet. I think they are a great idea
Old 11-18-2006, 03:56 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

i took my v-lines out... i just lift the lights...... then the next morning i set them down...... there has to be a better way to make a pressure hinge or something so you can manually close the lights without un-popping that lock leg that hold them up

b
Old 11-18-2006, 04:21 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i bought mine at ecklers...got rid of a huge amount of garbage weight

Old 11-18-2006, 04:58 AM
curtis74
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A fixed headlight set-up on a C3 looks cool and all, but let’s face it. One of they defining characteristics of a C3 is the pop-up head lamps. Personally, I'm just not a big fan of removing the pop-ups and going to the fixed headlight. Yeah you might save weight, but unless you’re racing your Vette, what’s the point. I can't remember where I read about this, but I know that the conversion kit involves using the actuators and electrical components out of a late model Firebird or T/A.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 AM
panic
Team Owner

you're right, if you're not sensible to weight savings iussue there is no particular need to swap in fixed lights, both look cool some way
Old 11-18-2006, 07:22 AM
SMH
Racer

Thanks Keep posting the pics.

Hey panic did they have the covers also? I think your look cool.

The motor I am building will not have the vacuum to lift them. Also just looking to get rid of all the junk that goes along with them. I would not mind the idea of just lifting them when I need lights. Does this work? Not like I will be driving this thing in the dark all the time.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:24 AM
panic
Team Owner

[QUOTE=SMH]Thanks Keep posting the pics.

Hey panic did they have the covers also? I think your look cool....

yes, it's a full kit..
Old 11-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by curtis74
One of they defining characteristics of a C3 is the pop-up head lamps. Personally, I'm just not a big fan of removing the pop-ups and going to the fixed headlight. Yeah you might save weight, but unless you’re racing your Vette, what’s the point.
100% on both points
I see posts from folks trying to save 2 pounds here, 5 pounds there and they are running street cars.

How about not putting more than a half tank of gas in your car...theres 55LBS right there.

I have many big friends that weigh over 200# that have ridden with me and I honestly have never even considered any performance loss.
Sorry......... I just dont get it.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:22 AM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

same as Panics
Old 11-18-2006, 11:04 AM
hayman
Drifting

I have been thinking about pulling molds off the fenders of my 76 while it is still in primer. With the molds I will make foam replicas of the fenders and start cutting away to fit the new c6 type lights or something similar.

Anyone else thought of doing something like this? Did you come up with a good idea on which light assembly would look good installed in the upper part of the fender?

I personally don’t care for the fixed insert lights and think if it is going to be done then they should be under the bumper or up on the fender.

JMHO
Bill
Old 11-18-2006, 11:49 AM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
100% on both points
I see posts from folks trying to save 2 pounds here, 5 pounds there and they are running street cars.

How about not putting more than a half tank of gas in your car...theres 55LBS right there.

I have many big friends that weigh over 200# that have ridden with me and I honestly have never even considered any performance loss.
Sorry......... I just dont get it.
you're right, that's why i never ever fill up my tank, i always have only enough gas to run a few miles or so, just in case of any challenging encounter where i need to be light and prompt
In an extreme race scenario like formula one for example that is of key importance, infact those who depart with less fuel will go first and keep better positions then those who left with bigger fuel quantities (of course these will have the advantage to avoid and extra stop to re-fill), in everyday street race it counts much much less, but still counts.

did you ever see bike racers? usually they're small (and light) this because the less weight you add as a pilot the better it is...of course in a bigger mass (compared with a bike) this difference is less dramatic, but still of some importance.

when you target a weight saving strategy for your car you learn to be concerned about every detail, each pound counts and at the end of the day you achieve a result.

C3s are heavy cars, specially those like mine ('77), along the years a lot of BS was added to make it more comfortable/more secure and more in line with the antismog regulations (and more far from its origins...)...when i bought my vette, she was a sad comfy elephant, a kind of sporty looking 2 doors sedan...after about 450 lbs lost, new engine added and about a total of 35.000 usd spent on many big and small details (including breaking/suspensions/etc), it is a pain in that place for most cars i could encounter in the streets here.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by panic
you're right, that's why i never ever fill up my tank, i always have only enough gas to run a few miles or so, just in case of any challenging encounter where i need to be light and prompt
I dont stret race, my racing days are over...I might paly around a little from time to time
I drove a stock car on a 5/8mile track for a couple years long ago and it was a blast (much harder than it looks) and each car had to weigh in before every race to meet the track requirements.

But if your into street racing then obviously lighter is better

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Conversion pics

Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

I think you should go for it if you do want to shave the weight and if you do like the look. As always, you'll receive mixed reveiws from CF members about any modifications from stock. I personally like the look and enjoy the weight savings. Here's a pic of mine. The buckets were picked up at the swap meet area at OctoberVette's a few years back. The bulbs and trim rings are from a '72 datsun.

Last edited by litevette; 11-18-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:40 PM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by litevette
I think you should go for it if you do want to shave the weight and if you do like the look. As always, you'll receive mixed reveiws from CF members about any modifications from stock. I personally like the look and enjoy the weight savings. Here's a pic of mine. The buckets were picked up at the swap meet area at OctoberVette's a few years back. The bulbs and trim rings are from a '72 datsun.

your custom front end is very creative and looks awsome
Old 11-18-2006, 12:51 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by panic
your custom front end is very creative and looks awsome
Thanks man! My first goal was weight savings.

Quick Reply: Headlight Conversion pics