Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting your car while at the track??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:34 AM
jster171
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lifting your car while at the track??

Whats the easiest/best way? I just installed a new set of PFADT adjustable sway bars and may need to get the front or rear in the air during my next track day. At home, I have a LONG set of home made ramps that I use to get the nose high enough to get a jack under the cross member. I just bought a low profile race jack from Summit, but in order to use it on the front, I still need to drive onto something to get it elevated. What do you guys do?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

use two 2x12x24 boards and drive the front wheels on to those.

Jack the car up and put on Jack stands.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:13 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never jack car from sides using jacking post locations. Centralizing a load in just one jacking post location will bend the frame upward at those locations. I have seen it too many times, makes cars hard to put on the rack at work.............

I always jack my cars at the track from the front and rear suspension crossmembers using ramps in the front, the rear is no problem.

Last edited by RAFTRACER; 11-16-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

If you have the room I would buy a set of the Rhino ramps and bring them. they are not too heavy and not too big so you dont need much room.

Jack stands are standard requirement.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:27 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Never jack car from sides using jacking post locations. Centralizing a load in just one jacking post location will bend the frame upward at those locations. I have seen it too many times, makes cars hard to put on the rack at work.............

I always jack my cars at the track from the front and rear suspension crossmembers using ramps in the front, the rear is no problem.
Yup, mine did it even with a puck on it. Now if i have to use those locations I have another person with another jack match me with every jack handle swing, either across the car to lift the front or rear at the same time or on the same side. Haven't had another issue.

Joe
Old 11-16-2006, 04:56 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang.....
Old 11-16-2006, 05:06 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

If you guys must jack your car from the sides, I would jack it on the side of the frame right where the front seat reinforcement meets the frame ( near center of door ).

What really sucks when these areas are bent is that I use the jacking post locations as one of my set-up measurement locations.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:35 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about leaving it on pucks/jackstands supported at those four locations?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Its happened to both of my C5s. The pucks are too small in diameter for the load being carried by the frame and the frame bends upward. If you use a 2x4 about 5 inches long and place it between the frame and the jack the frame will not bend.

Bill
Old 11-17-2006, 07:37 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by freefall
How about leaving it on pucks/jackstands supported at those four locations?

Not generally a problem , because you are not centralizing a load. As long as you are jacking the car up to get it on the jackstands by the crossmemebers.................
Old 11-17-2006, 08:22 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Interesting. I didn't realize that jacking it up from the size with the pucks would cause this issue. Guess I'll have to change my habits.

Raftracer - I assume that if my car had this problem you would've noticed it last August?

Al Chan
Old 11-17-2006, 09:00 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

So all the times I jack up my C6 using the pucks on one side at a time changing both the front and rear tires could damage the car? If it had would you not see a problem at the door seams? Mine still look perfect but now you have me concerned.

Jerry
Old 11-17-2006, 09:20 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedHotBolt
So all the times I jack up my C6 using the pucks on one side at a time changing both the front and rear tires could damage the car? If it had would you not see a problem at the door seams? Mine still look perfect but now you have me concerned.

Jerry
No you wont see it in the door seams....What happens is the frame rail is made of relatively thin sheet metal forming a box. The lower flat or that box becomes distorted with the load bending it inward........Eventually it can even brake the rivots holding the insert for the pucks causing them to fall out. Very irritating more than detrimental.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:36 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Is this just a rule of thumb for C5's and 6's or should a C4 owner take notice as well?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:38 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Is this just a rule of thumb for C5's and 6's or should a C4 owner take notice as well?
C5 and C6, C4's lower pinch welds are significantly stronger. You just have to watch out for fuel / ABS lines with the C4's...
Old 11-17-2006, 10:18 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

C5 and C6, C4's lower pinch welds are significantly stronger. You just have to watch out for fuel / ABS lines with the C4's...
Thanks, It's nice to know there are some things I have not screwed up yet!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:27 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

guessing it's even more of a concern on the c6z's?

Get notified of new replies

To Lifting your car while at the track??

Old 11-17-2006, 11:48 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by someone racing in T1 that you can lift the car on the side somewhere in line with the rear view mirrors at the front of the doors and then slip your jack stands under the jacking points. Has anyone lifted their car this way?
Old 11-17-2006, 12:02 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Probably the same place I mentioned above... I will continue to use my subframes though
Old 11-17-2006, 12:22 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by freefall
guessing it's even more of a concern on the c6z's?
Nope, less.

Quick Reply: Lifting your car while at the track??