C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Removing body

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
midnight1957
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing body

The 62 that I bought is a basket case, it has no engine and trans at the present time. Also everything is out of the car now just body and chassic. It would be a good time to take the body off and paint the chassic and maybe even make it a little easier for the body man to paint the car. How many bolts hold the body to the chassic, are any of them hidden and at this point is it a big job to remove the body from the chassic and I guess it would be a good idea to stiffen the body with some a metal rod attached to the hinges and then to where the striker plate is.
Tell me is there anything that I should be looking for to prevent making a mistake.
Thanks,
Wade
Old 11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by midnight1957
The 62 that I bought is a basket case, it has no engine and trans at the present time. Also everything is out of the car now just body and chassic. It would be a good time to take the body off and paint the chassic and maybe even make it a little easier for the body man to paint the car. How many bolts hold the body to the chassic, are any of them hidden and at this point is it a big job to remove the body from the chassic and I guess it would be a good idea to stiffen the body with some a metal rod attached to the hinges and then to where the striker plate is.
Tell me is there anything that I should be looking for to prevent making a mistake.
Thanks,
Wade
I can't speak 100% to a 1962, because I have a 1960. But my car only had about 8 (might have been 10) bolts holding it down, but certainly not a lot. In fact a lot less than I thought.

It was so easy I decided what was I even thinking. If I had it to do all over again, I would take it off. BUT you have to understand that you get started on a slippery slope called "WHILE I AM AT IT". This slippery slope usually means $1000's of extra dollars goes into the project, now you end up with a really nice car in the end, but it is more money....

Climb under the car, you can find all the bolts near the perimeter. About 1/2 of mine broke, so that tells you that there is even less bolts holding it together! And just for reference, my car was in fantastic shape when it came to rust!

Also, since I have removed the bolts holding it together, I have had the body on and off about 10 times now checking for fits and such....My seat belt anchors are in good enough shape that I use my 4 post lift and a strap and lift the body by myself and also put it back in place by my self.....

Here is a link to my web page with over 420 photos from start to current... http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/

First lift, had my straps a little out of whack, but I got much better at it as time went on

a later lift and placement...much better

notice the strap in the fornt grabbing the radiator shell on the cross bracing. You dont need much lift in the front, really just a balance, the lift really comes for me at the seat belt anchors. If you are not sure of the condition of your glass or anchors, you might want to have about 8 to 10 guys help you lift.

I marked where I can remember the mount locations on the body, I might have one or two extras but this is where the should be. The ones in the rear of the car were located in the trunk on both sides DOWN at the bottom of the trunk, impossible to see very good.

In the photo below, you can see my radiator mount location, it sticks out and is a real good shin buster! Dont ask how I know!

Let me know if I can be of more help......regards, Herb

Last edited by firstgear; 11-13-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:57 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by firstgear

In the photo below, you can see my radiator mount location, it sticks out and is a real good shin buster! Dont ask how I know!

Let me know if I can be of more help......regards, Herb
i like that radiator support, i was wondering how if i was going to support my radiator when i change my front suspension. do you have any drawings or something to go by that i can use to build one?

btw, is it strong enough to use as a jacking point like the original 3rd arm support?
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-13-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by wmf62
i like that radiator support, i was wondering how if i was going to support my radiator when i change my front suspension. do you have any drawings or something to go by that i can use to build one?

btw, is it strong enough to use as a jacking point like the original 3rd arm support?
Bill
that piece came with the kit from Myers for the R&P system along with the new front suspension. It bolts onto the the front of the frame and uses the bolts that holds the front end on to bolt the front piece to.

If you need photos and dimensions, I can get them for you.

Herb
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

that piece came with the kit from Myers for the R&P system along with the new front suspension. It bolts onto the the front of the frame and uses the bolts that holds the front end on to bolt the front piece to.

If you need photos and dimensions, I can get them for you.

Herb
Herb
yes, any help you can give would be great... i wonder if that part can be gotten separately from Jim Meyer??

i don't know if this is a recent addition to the Meyer kit, but from what i was able to find out when i bought my TCI kit, EVERYONE just kind of let you figure that one out all by yourself. at the time the Meyer kit was about twice the cost of the TCI i ended up buying, but this piece (and the 'relative' ease of installation) is certainly a plus for Meyer.
Bill
Old 11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Herb
yes, any help you can give would be great... i wonder if that part can be gotten separately from Jim Meyer??

i don't know if this is a recent addition to the Meyer kit, but from what i was able to find out when i bought my TCI kit, EVERYONE just kind of let you figure that one out all by yourself. at the time the Meyer kit was about twice the cost of the TCI i ended up buying, but this piece (and the 'relative' ease of installation) is certainly a plus for Meyer.
Bill
call and talk to Greg, he usually answers. Just tell him you bought a kit from one of the guys and that this particular part was missing and that you need to get one....how much is it? how long for delivery?

You might mention that you spoke with me, but I think he forgets peoples names so much because he talks to so many people every day on many items not just Corvette stuff.

also, now you know why the TCI stuff is cheaper...it doesn't take into account everything you need...

If I remember correctly, the TCI stuff doesn't use the bolt on locations for he front end does it? Doesn't it weld on? There might be issues with the bolt holes still being there on a TCI front suspension piece...

let me know....Herb
Old 11-15-2006, 12:12 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

I will try to get you some photos tonight....of the front end....
Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a great idea...has anyone tried lifting a C-2 in this fashion?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:37 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

call and talk to Greg, he usually answers. Just tell him you bought a kit from one of the guys and that this particular part was missing and that you need to get one....how much is it? how long for delivery?

You might mention that you spoke with me, but I think he forgets peoples names so much because he talks to so many people every day on many items not just Corvette stuff.

also, now you know why the TCI stuff is cheaper...it doesn't take into account everything you need...

If I remember correctly, the TCI stuff doesn't use the bolt on locations for he front end does it? Doesn't it weld on? There might be issues with the bolt holes still being there on a TCI front suspension piece...

let me know....Herb
Herb
the TCI crossmember bolts onto the back pair of holes from the original crossmember, it's the spring towers that weld on.

from what i could see from your picture, the radiator support piece uses the 2 front holes, which are also empty with the TCI kit.

i called Jim Meyer and talked to Larry. they had never sold that piece separately but agreed to sell me one: $95 + $35 shipping, so i ordered it. hope it works, don't see why not if it mounts like i think it does on your car.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-15-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:43 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Call and ask Greg for the RADIATOR SURROUND SUPPORT......here are the photos...

Hope this helps....you can get a pretty good idea of how it is attached. The actual tab that supports the radiator support has some adjustment holes in it that you can see.

regards, Herb
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

do those photos show you what you need? need any other photos? let me know....Herb
Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

do those photos show you what you need? need any other photos? let me know....Herb
Herb
as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words....

that's the pieces i ordered, and i know that those mounting holes will be empty and available when i install my IFS.

thanks a bunch....
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-15-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:00 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Herb
as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words....

that's the pieces i ordered, and i know that those mountong holes will be empty and available when i install my IFS.

thanks a bunch....
Bill
Bill, good luck....let me know if I can help with anything else...Herb

ps...the wire hangers I have on the fornt support are holding pieces that I painted with some silver POR....those hangers are optional

Last edited by firstgear; 11-15-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Bill, good luck....let me know if I can help with anything else...Herb

ps...the wire hangers I have on the fornt support are holding pieces that I painted with some silver POR....those hangers are optional
Herb
you can come help with the install.......

thanks
Bill
Old 11-15-2006, 10:11 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15

Herb
you can come help with the install.......

thanks
Bill
no problem....I will be down in Orlando over Thanksgiving....and then we will be back down to Miami for a short cruise over December 10th weekend.....will you be ready then?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

no problem....I will be down in Orlando over Thanksgiving....and then we will be back down to Miami for a short cruise over December 10th weekend.....will you be ready then?
i wish..... still working on the a/c..... IFS will be a 'winter' project....
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 11-15-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
MICK3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 62 Body Removal

When We Removed The Body On My 62 We Removed The Doors Installed Braces Where The Doors Were, The Car Was Completely Stripped Of Its Interior And Whatever Else Could Be Unbolted, Then We Unbolted The Body & Lifted It Placing A 2x4 Between The Chassis & Floor/chassis Mounts You Have To Lift It Enough To Get A 6x6 Block Between The Floor & Chassis Mounts Then Secure Blocks To Floorboard W/deck Screws & Large Washers When The Body Was Ready To Lift Off We Put 4 People On Each Side Lifted It Straight Up An 2 Other People Rolled The Chassis Out We Then Let The Body Straight Down On The Garage Floor The Body Will Not Touch The Floor With The 6x6 Block Secured To The Floorboard We Then Rolled The Chassis Into The Other Bay. We Then Blocked The Body At The Radiator Support & Rear Mounts & Placed It On A Single Snow Mobile Trailer The Body Is Slightly Wider Than The Trailer Which Made It Very Easy To Work On All Sides We Could Do The Body Work Outside, Wash It When We Were Done Because It Was Very Mobile On The Trailer Even Under The Body Was Easy To Work On. This May Sound Like A Project But Believe Me Its Very Simple And The Cost A Couple Of 6x6's And Screws W/washers.
The following users liked this post:
Joker7358 (08-27-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Removing body

Quick Reply: Removing body