C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

need a little help on a 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need a little help on a 5 speed

I need a little help with the 5 speed. I am going to be ordering a Tremec 5 speed...not sure if it is from Classic or Keisler but I will be ordering one soon. i was getting ready to order the interior parts and i thought that I should probably do the transmission while I have the console and carpet messed up.

what kind of clutch are most of you using? Is it necessary to change out the flywheel? Any recommendations on which group to use? good and bad experiences?

thanks for the information
Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I got my 5 Speed from CC5S, they are very easy to do biz with. I stayed with my flywheel ( I have a c1) and bought the McLeod scatter shield bellhousing, McLeod Clutch and pressure plate.

I will buy from them again when I do the next project car or decide to upgrade my C2 to a 5 speed.

Suggest you do a search under both suppliers names on this site and decide who you want to buy from based on your search.

Good luck!
Old 11-13-2006, 08:08 PM
NHARRISON
Advanced

Default Tremec

I bought a Tremec TKO 600 for my 67 with a 572 engine and was very pleased with the service from them. If I was you I would buy the complete kit from them as they know what you need. I did go to hydraulic clutch, but kept original and it works fine. Make sure you get the right speedo gear for you rear-end and tire size.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Originally Posted by NHARRISON
I bought a Tremec TKO 600 for my 67 with a 572 engine and was very pleased with the service from them. If I was you I would buy the complete kit from them as they know what you need. I did go to hydraulic clutch, but kept original and it works fine. Make sure you get the right speedo gear for you rear-end and tire size.
who did you buy from? did you change flywheels?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:28 PM
60vett
Pro

Bought from Classic Chevy. Very nice guys. I used my old 621 alum bellhousing and the factory flywheel. Not much tearing up the interior involved. Just taking off the shifter plate with ashtray, then reinstalling both.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:13 PM
TexSon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I intend to go with a CenterForce clutch when I put the T5 in my wife's '61. I intend to keep the stock flywheel on the 327.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

I had a Mcloed in mine the first go round and now have a Centerforce.. Both have been great!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:23 PM
tdelph
Drifting

I have a new centerforce in my car now...maybe 100-200 miles on it and I like it fine. I was concerned about using something else. do you think the centrforce is a better choice than the others that are offered with the packages?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tdelph
I have a new centerforce in my car now...maybe 100-200 miles on it and I like it fine. I was concerned about using something else. do you think the centrforce is a better choice than the others that are offered with the packages?
Whichever company you decide to buy from it will definetely be the best mod you've done. Nothing beats an overdrive.
You can re-use your original clutch plate, you will have to change discs to a 26-spline though. Contact the company you bought the centerforce from and ask them for a 26-spline, 1 1/8" bore x 10.5" or 11", whichever size you are running

Richard
Tech Support
Keisler Engineering
Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM
tdelph
Drifting

Originally Posted by rj8806
Whichever company you decide to buy from it will definetely be the best mod you've done. Nothing beats an overdrive.
You can re-use your original clutch plate, you will have to change discs to a 26-spline though. Contact the company you bought the centerforce from and ask them for a 26-spline, 1 1/8" bore x 10.5" or 11", whichever size you are running

Richard
Tech Support
Keisler Engineering
thanks for the advise...I really appreciate it.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Russ T Gate
Burning Brakes

I bought mine from Classic Chevy 5 Speeds and had everything I ordered from them in 4 days. I tried the install with the engine in the car, I wouldn't recommend it. I ended up pulling the engine which was alot easier, this also allowed me time to clean up the engine compartment. Installing the engine and trans as a unit is a tight fit but it worked for me. I did have to shim the floor at the trans cross member due to body sag, this was needed to keep the tunnel from hitting the top of the trans. This has been one of the best modifications I've made to my car in a long time, RPM's dropped from 3400 to 1900 at 70 MPH's. You can hear the radio and even carry on a conversation with out yelling at each other. I did go with the Center Force setup, ordered from Summit Racing (best pricing I found ) and it arrived the next day. Funny thing about ordering a replacement disc, I was like you I had a fairly new clutch and disc so I priced a new disc,$203.00, new clutch and disc $263.00 (?) so I bought the clutch and disc.
Good luck with your project
Russ
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 AM
panchop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my TKO 500 from keisler, got the McLeod clutch they sold at the same time. used the Stock bellhousing. Buy an adjustable clutch fork pivot for when you do the change over. I pulled the engine on mine and did engine and tranny together. I have a 3:90 rear in mine and I should have bought the 600. The 3:90 and the TKO 500 means a STEEP first gear. Install was pretty straight forward and everything fit like it should.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:06 PM
PeteZ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard
Tech Support
Keisler Engineering
Hi Richard,

Hope you can provide expert advice to my/this query .

Background info: A bunch of years ago, I installed a SBC 406/FI in my '63. With that, I purchased a 'heavy-duty' clutch from GM plus a brand new T-10 Tranny. All those parts easily fitted together without any problems .

Given that I'm close to coughing-up money to purchase a Tremec , will I need to procure a compatible clutch or can I use the clutch I have?? .

Please advise .

Best Regards,

Pete
Old 11-14-2006, 04:21 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PeteZ
Hi Richard,

Hope you can provide expert advice to my/this query .

Background info: A bunch of years ago, I installed a SBC 406/FI in my '63. With that, I purchased a 'heavy-duty' clutch from GM plus a brand new T-10 Tranny. All those parts easily fitted together without any problems .

Given that I'm close to coughing-up money to purchase a Tremec , will I need to procure a compatible clutch or can I use the clutch I have?? .

Please advise .

Best Regards,

Pete
Pete:
You can re-use your original clutch setup(for the T-10), It uses the same spline count(26 spline) and the same 1 1/8" bore size. As long as the plate and flywheel are not "hot spotted", theoretically(sp?) you can remove the 4 bolts that hold the gearbox(super T-10) in and bolt up the TKO. Keep in mind I said in theory. You still need to do the Runout check to verify that the bell is in line with the crank.
Richard
Old 11-14-2006, 05:28 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
I had a Mcloed in mine the first go round and now have a Centerforce.. Both have been great!
Dave, why did you go with the centerforce this time?
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 PM
PeteZ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete:
You can re-use your original clutch setup(for the T-10), It uses the same spline count(26 spline) and the same 1 1/8" bore size. As long as the plate and flywheel are not "hot spotted", theoretically(sp?) you can remove the 4 bolts that hold the gearbox(super T-10) in and bolt up the TKO. Keep in mind I said in theory. You still need to do the Runout check to verify that the bell is in line with the crank.
Richard
Richard,

What the heckity-toot does "hot spotted" mean . Let's move beyond the 'theory' stuff as I have no insight what-so-ever as to what that means.

Based upon the information you've provided, I should be able to bolt-up the TKO-600 to replace the 'super T-10' after I've accomplished verification to make sure the bell is in line with the crank. Keep me honest here so I understand the actual requirements .

Best Regards,

Pete
Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tdelph
Dave, why did you go with the centerforce this time?
The clutch and pressure plate that I originally ordered from KE was a 10.5 inch. During this time they did not have them so they sent me a 11" cheater clutch setup. Well after running it for a year I had the tranny out due to my motor issues and checked the wear. I didn't like how close the clutch was to the pressure plate bolts. So I changed to a 10.5" setup and the McLoed was a little heavy even for me as a young punk. The Centerforce is a moderate pressure clutch with good gripping power. Dave

Get notified of new replies

To need a little help on a 5 speed

Old 11-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Joys
Instructor

Hot spotted means blue-spots on the flywheel surface due to exessive heat(slipping clutch). This will give a chattering clutch when releasing the clutch pedal. Sometimes the hot-spots go quite deep into the flywheel and should be replaced. I have a Classic Chevy TKO600 (very impressed with their service!)and the Centerforce dual friction clutch. I chose the .80 overdrive due to the fact highway cruising speed over here(Norway) usually is around 60mph.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PeteZ
Richard,

What the heckity-toot does "hot spotted" mean . Let's move beyond the 'theory' stuff as I have no insight what-so-ever as to what that means.

Based upon the information you've provided, I should be able to bolt-up the TKO-600 to replace the 'super T-10' after I've accomplished verification to make sure the bell is in line with the crank. Keep me honest here so I understand the actual requirements .

Best Regards,

Pete
Pete: Joys answered your question about "Hot Spotting".
As for the bolt-up, once you've established Runout and replaced the pilot bushing with the Bearing, yes you can bolt the TKO to bell. Your bell is the same depth and has the same size register hole as required by a TKO tranny. As I stated earlier, the clutch set up is identical as well.

Richard
Tech Support
Keisler Engineering
Old 11-15-2006, 02:27 PM
hedgehead
Race Director

Location: I'm not doing as well as I expected, but I never expected I would
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

heckity-toot ??

Quick Reply: need a little help on a 5 speed