C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Is my timing off ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:08 PM
vettecrazed1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my timing off ?

I have trouble starting my car after running it a while and then letting it set for 15 mins or more. I think my timing is off do I need to retard or advance and what is it supposed to be. (66 427/390 )also smells like unburned fuel at times. But on cold start it cranks right up to a fast idle. Also after running awhile you can turn it off and immediately crank it and it starts up.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:14 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 67/427/390 and it was 8* BTDC
Old 11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
rowingone
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts

Sounds like fuel percolation to me . . had the same problem with mine . . .you can add an insulating gasket between the carb and intake or remove the intake manifold and block the exhaust ports to the intake manifold. The clue is that if its hot and you turn it off and restart right away its fine . . but leave it for 15 minutes and its hard to start . . . the insulating gasket works but I didnt have the hood clearance for it. About timing . . . well there is a bunch on this forum from Lars that is exactly what you need.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

It can also be a weak battery or poor ground at the starter.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

yep... fuel perc problem... its a nightmare with FI cars.

anyway, with a carb, you can insulate by using a 1/2 inch spacer and that will solve most of the issue..

if it was your timining... your motor would have a stutter ... sort of like the starter was going bad....

there are a few different types of spacers, but you don't want metal or aluminum as they transfer heat less effectively than the wood or other facny plastic types.

if you can get a 1/2 or 3/4 spacer in there, it will solve the problem an quite possible give you a little more response from your motor.

thanks

aaron
Old 11-12-2006, 05:53 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

just so you are aware of what is happening..

the oil companies keep dropping the boiling point of pump gas in an attempt to keep manufacturing and product costs down...

modern cars aren't affected by this so there isn't a problem...

as your motor sits after it is hot, the risidual heat rises and boils the fuel out of the carburetor and floods you engine.

if you hold the pedal to the floor.. when restarting, that is your best bet to get it to fire up.

Good luck

aaron
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem this summer. It finally got bad enough that when you turned the key off it would catch and run (most of the time).

The problem was the armature in the starter was going bad. Heat would make starting hard, but no problem when cool. If this sounds like what you are going through get the starter rebuilt.

May or may not be your problem but timing doesn't just go bad over night (unless you have gremlins ).
Old 11-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Pay particular attention to post 10. Lars is "The man!"
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1099286
Old 11-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Racer-rt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hard to Start

You can isolate the problem by removing the coil wire when the problem occurs. If the engine cranks fast again the trouble is timing. If it cranks slow/sluggish/strains to crank even without spark-the trouble is with your cranking system. Not uncommon for a big block starter with some wear on the shaft bushings to expand/swell the armature enough to begin to make contact with the magnets inside the case and partially short out.
If it is timing it's too much advance, if not then dead cell or bad starter.
My .02
Old 11-12-2006, 10:35 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by vettecrazed1
I have trouble starting my car after running it a while and then letting it set for 15 mins or more.
====================================
You're not giving us enough info. After a hot soak, does it not crank, or does it crank, but not start ??? Be more specific.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronz28
just so you are aware of what is happening..

the oil companies keep dropping the boiling point of pump gas in an attempt to keep manufacturing and product costs down...
Nope - The formulations continue to change in order to meet EPA Reid Vapor Pressure requirements; EPA has mandated 26 different evaporative formulations, depending on where the fuel is sold, further complicated by the congressional mandate for replacing oxygenates with ethanol (not to be confused with E85).
Old 11-14-2006, 09:54 AM
vettecrazed1
Instructor

The engine will crank normally afetr running and then setting for 15 mins. but just take a while to start it is definitely not my starter. acts like it is flooded.

B
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
Nope - The formulations continue to change in order to meet EPA Reid Vapor Pressure requirements; EPA has mandated 26 different evaporative formulations, depending on where the fuel is sold, further complicated by the congressional mandate for replacing oxygenates with ethanol (not to be confused with E85).
John is right right about Reid Vapor Pressure, though to be precise ethanol is considered an oxygenate and there is no movement to phase out oxygentates. Mainly ethanol is being used to replace MTBE, which has a tendency to leach into the ground surrounding storage tanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 PM
427-390
Drifting

Start with the TIMING first! If your timing is not dialed in properly, you will experience problems like this. Read up on Lars timing paper or Barry K's sticky in the C3 section. 90% of carb problems are really timing problems.

Cheers
Old 11-14-2006, 03:59 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by knight37128
May or may not be your problem but timing doesn't just go bad over night (unless you have gremlins ).

Boy, my experience from a couple of days ago fit just this scenario! .. After reading through lars' timing tutorial thread that he posted just after the Seattle area TFBWT it was time to do a timing curve check.

Trying out different advance weight springs and experimenting around was interesting. After all was said and done and timing buttoned up the car was backed into the garage.

The next day - no start? .. Everything was working fine the day before? .. All the usual supects were checked and gone through. Still, nada? .. I wondered how the timing could 'go bad' from one day to the next? ..

After working the throttle linkage again, this time with reading glasses on, I could see that no fuel was coming out of the squirters? . Couldn't be out of gas? .. . .A sneaking suspicion says fill up the fuel bowl. She fires right up! .. Out of gas, it was! ..

That's whatcha' get when 'old guy' disease (sight, memory, hearing) sets in and messes with stuff . . . Well, some of us, anyway .. ..

That's my gremlin story for today! ..
Old 11-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Colovette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

IF the fuel is vaporizing, try mixing one quart of diesel in with a full tank of gas. l've done this with both of my stock big blocks and have found that the hard starting when hot and the raw fuel smell in the garage after shutdown have disappeared. I'm not certain how much diesel one could mix, I just started with a quart and that seemed to be all I needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my timing off ?

Quick Reply: Is my timing off ?