Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 02-03 valve spring failures: any thing new?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 07:46 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 02-03 valve spring failures: any thing new?

Wondering if there is anything new that I am missing...

...facts as I know them:

1. There have been some failures in '02 and early '03 cars. These were stock motors. Mileage varies widely, as low as 20 k mi. Many fail idling, these are not racing failures on tracked cars.

2. When they break, ?most of the time they blow the motor, but if you are lucky the SES light will come on and warn you to shut the car down and no harm will come. If you here a bad sound, shut car off and DO NOT start it for the tow guy or the shop.

3. No failures in '01's or '04's. A different cam used in '01 and a newer spring (different part #) in '04.

So is that right? If I upgrade to the '04 spring am I safe? Are most of these failures resulting in blown motors or are most guys able to save it?

I am trying to weigh whether to just swap the springs next year just as insurance (not cheap). I don't have a warranty right now.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Andy,

I have 50K on my 02 Z now. It has a build date of 10/26/01 No problems at all. I do know some guys with March/April 02 build dates that have broken them. I think there was a small window on the bad springs issue.

If you just want the insurance get the new 04 springs. Brian Cobra4b just did his and the thread is on here somewhere look at the Grond ain't got @#$5 on this threads. Enjoy your new Z. Take care, Don
Old 11-09-2006, 09:51 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dwjz06
Andy,

I have 50K on my 02 Z now. It has a build date of 10/26/01 No problems at all. I do know some guys with March/April 02 build dates that have broken them. I think there was a small window on the bad springs issue.

If you just want the insurance get the new 04 springs. Brian Cobra4b just did his and the thread is on here somewhere look at the Grond ain't got @#$5 on this threads. Enjoy your new Z. Take care, Don
Mine is May 02 so that is dangerously close. I have seen some failures on cars as late as December 02.

Is the change an easy job? I want somebody to do it who has done it before; wondering if I go to a performance oriented place (like Tony's or even F-body central) or just a good shop (Gallant's).

Hope you are still enjoying yours. The market has gotten soft in the last couple of weeks. I just saw a local dealer offering a Black 2003 Z for $30k asking, 19k mi, with the caption " Get it now before we auction it Monday".
Old 11-09-2006, 11:37 AM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Wondering if there is anything new that I am missing...

...facts as I know them:

1. There have been some failures in '02 and early '03 cars. These were stock motors. Mileage varies widely, as low as 20 k mi. Many fail idling, these are not racing failures on tracked cars.

2. When they break, ?most of the time they blow the motor, but if you are lucky the SES light will come on and warn you to shut the car down and no harm will come. If you here a bad sound, shut car off and DO NOT start it for the tow guy or the shop.

3. No failures in '01's or '04's. A different cam used in '01 and a newer spring (different part #) in '04.

So is that right? If I upgrade to the '04 spring am I safe? Are most of these failures resulting in blown motors or are most guys able to save it?

I am trying to weigh whether to just swap the springs next year just as insurance (not cheap). I don't have a warranty right now.

Thanks
I've broken 2 springs at idle and luckily no motor damage, because I've been through this I would advise the change,there are alot of 2002 and early 2003's with springs intact. They put ls2 springs in my car about two summers ago and I have not had another problem. I'm not sure if the 04 springs are the same ones that are in the LS2.

All of the stories i've seen with dropped valves due to broken springs were rebuilt.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 03QuicksilverZ06
I've broken 2 springs at idle and luckily no motor damage,
All of the stories i've seen with dropped valves due to broken springs were rebuilt.
So did your ECM shut down the cylinders and the motor ran rough and this told you to service it? why did the others drop a valve.

Did they finally replace all your springs (after 2nd time)? Or 1 by 1 as they went?

I'm inclined to at least wait a bit on this if the motor is not going to blow up, if there is some really obvious warning before I need a rebuild.

If not, I would like an '04 spring as long as the '04's are doing ok. The cam in the LS2 is smaller so that spring would not have been as stout. I want OEM spring quality.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:17 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Mine is May 02 so that is dangerously close. I have seen some failures on cars as late as December 02.

Is the change an easy job? I want somebody to do it who has done it before; wondering if I go to a performance oriented place (like Tony's or even F-body central) or just a good shop (Gallant's).

Hope you are still enjoying yours. The market has gotten soft in the last couple of weeks. I just saw a local dealer offering a Black 2003 Z for $30k asking, 19k mi, with the caption " Get it now before we auction it Monday".
The market has been soft for a while now. That is why I still have mine. I will not give away a great car.

I guess easy depends on your mechanic type skills. You need a good air compressor with the adaptor for your spark plug hole 14mm I think and the crane type tool (others have this tool as well) for the spring job. 04 springs are fine or aftermarket comp cams 918 springs are fine also. Tony's =expensive so if you have another place you trust check with them on pricing. I would send Brian Cobra4b a message as he just did this job himself very recently. Don
Old 11-09-2006, 03:05 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

ttt
Old 11-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

because my LS6 is blown and i heard about these failures and I have an 02, I converted to the 918 springs and hardened pushrods 3K miles ago with 0 issues.

I did a TON OF RESEARCH on the best replacement spring for the stock LS6 springs and if you do replace them and your going to stick with your stock motor then GO WITH THE COMP 918 single beehive replacement springs and hardended pushrods, as they will keep your lightweight valve train the way it should be and give you a step up more durable spring than the stock LS6 behives.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-10-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:23 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
because my LS6 is blown and i heard about these failures and I have an 02, I converted to the 918 springs and hardened pushrods 3K miles ago with 0 issues.

I did a TON OF RESEARCH on the best replacement spring for the stock LS6 springs and if you do replace them and your going to stick with your stock motor then GO WITH THE COMP 918 single beehive replacement springs and hardended pushrods, as they will keep your lightweight valve train the way it should be and give you a step up more durable spring than the stock LS6 behives.
Thanks. Where'd you do research, here you mean?

Any body tried the '04 spring? Is it the same as the LS2 spring?

I used the 918 springs on my lightly cammed LT1 and I think they are overkill for a stock cam. Will have to look into the specs though. I want something that will last and not break for 200k mi with a stock cam. I am not sure any Comp spring is really engineered to do that.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Steve Row
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Last June with about 30000 miles on the car, I had a valve spring break.

I had it running about three minutes on my way home from work. RPM was about 1500. The engine got real rough like it was trying to quit. I put the clutch in and tried to rev it. It might have gone up about 500 rpm and them died. No metal on metal noise, nothing. I coasted to a stop and tried to start it. It spit and sputtered but never quite got there.

I had all the springs replaced with "stock" springs, whatever GM is providing these days. I want it "stock".

It was fixed the next day. When I picked it up, they were working on another 02 that had just been towed in with a broken spring. They said it was even the same cylinder as mine. Sorry, I don't remember which one.

My car runs as well as it ever has. No problems at all.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:33 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Steve Row
Last June with about 30000 miles on the car, I had a valve spring break.

I had it running about three minutes on my way home from work. RPM was about 1500. The engine got real rough like it was trying to quit. I put the clutch in and tried to rev it. It might have gone up about 500 rpm and them died. No metal on metal noise, nothing. I coasted to a stop and tried to start it. It spit and sputtered but never quite got there.

I had all the springs replaced with "stock" springs, whatever GM is providing these days. I want it "stock".

It was fixed the next day. When I picked it up, they were working on another 02 that had just been towed in with a broken spring. They said it was even the same cylinder as mine. Sorry, I don't remember which one.

My car runs as well as it ever has. No problems at all.
Thanks for the feed back, Steve.

What shop was this? I can at least be assured that they have done the work before.

When was your car made (what month)?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks. Where'd you do research, here you mean?

Any body tried the '04 spring? Is it the same as the LS2 spring?

I used the 918 springs on my lightly cammed LT1 and I think they are overkill for a stock cam. Will have to look into the specs though. I want something that will last and not break for 200k mi with a stock cam. I am not sure any Comp spring is really engineered to do that.

The 918 is not overkill for a stock LS6 motor and its the perfect replacement. I did my research talking to about 6 TOP TUNERS on both here and LS1 tech and in person with face to face discussions from the tuners at ECS, FLP, Powerhouse Perf. Speed Inc, and several other LSX tuners locally in Chicago and on this forum. The 918 is a direct replacement spring for a stock LS6 spring but one would certainly want to go with hardened pushrods at the same time and you will be GOOD TO GO!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:16 PM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
The 918 is not overkill for a stock LS6 motor and its the perfect replacement. I did my research talking to about 6 TOP TUNERS on both here and LS1 tech and in person with face to face discussions from the tuners at ECS, FLP, Powerhouse Perf. Speed Inc, and several other LSX tuners locally in Chicago and on this forum. The 918 is a direct replacement spring for a stock LS6 spring but one would certainly want to go with hardened pushrods at the same time and you will be GOOD TO GO!!!!!!!!!!
the stock LS6 spring has an open pressure of 271in./lbs. and the 918's are 313in./lbs. so they are fairly close in spec. to a certain extent. I'd recommend the 918's for any LSx cam under .600" of lift.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
the stock LS6 spring has an open pressure of 271in./lbs. and the 918's are 313in./lbs. so they are fairly close in spec. to a certain extent. I'd recommend the 918's for any LSx cam under .600" of lift.
Now there are some well quoted IMPORTANT FACTS that people need to see!!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

I want OEM spring quality.
Possible oxymoron ...

When I do it, I’m going top notch aftermarket valve springs specific for LS6. Why spend the time and money if you’re opening it up and then not do it the best way possible.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 11-10-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 PM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Possible oxymoron ...
Yes, how's that weather there ZeeO? I saw the news tonight, holy ****!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:56 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6vetteman2003
Yes, how's that weather there ZeeO? I saw the news tonight, holy ****!
Let's just say I'm driving my 4x4 right now.

Get notified of new replies

To 02-03 valve spring failures: any thing new?

Old 11-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Steve Row
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg.

My car was built in Dec. 01 - Jan. 02.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 AM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Let's just say I'm driving my 4x4 right now.
Hope it ends soon and you can get back in the seat of the Vette.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:27 AM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve Row
Tony's Corvette Shop in Gaithersburg.

My car was built in Dec. 01 - Jan. 02.
I have an early 03', but I replaced my springs long ago. I never had any trouble with the stock springs at 20K.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 02-03 valve spring failures: any thing new?