C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Sneaky Birdcages - hints and tips

Old 11-06-2006, 07:59 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Sneaky Birdcages - hints and tips

When we painted the car last spring there was an area of the birdcage on the bottom driver pillar which had some rust. It was addressed and treated at that time.

I knew that this winter I would finish it off from the inside when removing the dash.

Background - the car was from Texas and has 0 main frame rust. Under the car, the frame is as clean as new metal with no corrosion over the years.

The windshield seal in the lower driver side corner had failed over the years allowing water from either rainstorms or car washing to trickle in and lay/stand on the bird cage platform allowing an area of corrosion.

After removing the dash, I could see discoloration of the sound deadener by the rusty water over the years - from its normal grey/white color to a rust color.

I removed all of this .

I then used a dremel with a flex extension and drill and removed all of the bad metal, down to solid metal. The dremel allowed me to remove the rust from the inside of the hollow cage.

I borrowed a fiber optic scope from work (yes, the kind that gets stuck in your various body by the GI doctors) and I used it to inspect the interior of the entire birdcage. It is like a small television camera that allows you to look at the actual inside of the birdcage.

Everything else was solid with essenetially no corrosion, just this small area. Underneath and throughout the upper and lower pillar areas - no corrosion + the green cobalt colored paint remains. I used the dremel to remove all of the rust down to solid metal.

The holes represent focal areas of corrosion that were removed.

Today I will:

1. Use a small wand to spray rust inhibitor throughout the interior of the birdcage. Later I will paint on top of that.

2. In the next few days, I will tackweld some new sheet metal in those spots with the holes, grind to a feather edge, finish, and paint.

When inspecting for potential birdcage issues, looking under the dash and taking out the glovebox are good ideas. However, another important clue can be to look for any discolaration of the sound deadener (that 1 inch thick mat under the dash, similar to that under you carpet.).

Pasengers side: pristine

The fiberoptic camera was put in the holes that don't belong there and also, the machined openings from the factor. I threaded the camera through all of these openings and up into the pillars.

Drivers side:

The holes represent areas which had some rust, were ground away, and now will be treated. The metal behind those rivets is sold.

The most complete way to inspect a car for these problematic birdcage areas would be to:

1. Inspect behind the glovebox and under the dash
2. If purchasing a car and if the owner will let you - remove the metal moulding that lies in fron of the top of the dash, the side pillars, and the kick panels.

Take a close look at the sound deadener material. Any discoloration is a clue. It will not be white/grey, but more of a brownish color. In addition, you will be able to pull it out with your fingers. Normally, this stuff is very difficult to remove.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bookmarked/added this thread to my favorites list. If anyone ask birdcage questions. All I have to do is copy this link into their thread. Kind of like creating an index on FAQ. Others may want to do the same ?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:10 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

If I had not removed the front windshield during painting or if had not removed the dash:

- other than some discloration of the sound deadner, there's no clue that there was any involvement of the birdcage
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM
RestoDoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the zinc chromate finish for a factory look.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
vetteless in Modesto
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default Birdcage Question

Does the "birdcage" pertain strictly to coupes, or verts as well?
Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Islander21
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both.

Get notified of new replies

To Sneaky Birdcages - hints and tips

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sneaky Birdcages - hints and tips