C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Oil for C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Silvert
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The powertrain engineers have done all the testing and thought for you, the answer is in your owner's manual and on the oil cap. Yes there are other brands of 5w30 and 10w30 that carry that spec and are absolutely fine to use. Mobile is widely available and meets the spec so it is recommended. I've never seend a 40 wt that meets the spec, so I'd steer clear of that. Or the nimrod from the plant that indicated the GM spec didn't mean anything. That nitwit has been in the jobs bank too long shooting dice.

Use whatever brand you want that has the GM4718M spec on the bottle.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That's funny. Mobil 1 is a group III base.

Not according to the Mobil1 website. It's PAO based.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:07 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne88
You registered on this forum yesterday.
You asked a simple question: "Best Oil for C6".
You got some honest opinions.
Try to keep the personal stuff out of it.
..."Vinny Boombotts" a "my bad" might be appropriate here as already pointed out by several senior members, if you have an attitude you should either "lose it" or "move on"!

This is about a good group of car guys and Vette owners who are more than willing to help one another out, but we don't need any bad attitude thank you.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,129 Likes on 6,195 Posts

Originally Posted by Irv
According to the Material Safety Data Sheet:

Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name (ZNCPD) ZINC DIALKLDITHIOPHOSPHATE INHIBITOR
CAS Number 68649423
Proprietary NO
Percent 1
Ingredient # 02
Ingredient Name POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE, POLYOL
CAS Number 1003
Percent 5
Ingredient # 03
Ingredient Name ALKYLATED DIPHENYL AMINES
CAS Number 68411461
Proprietary NO
Percent 1

5% PAO. Also see Wikipedia reference-linkSynthetic_oil
Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 AM
UTVOL06
Melting Slicks

castrol syntec is a good brand:

"SAE 5W-30:
The most recommended grade in today's new cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SM, SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A1, A5, B1, B5, Corvette GM 4718M, GM 6094M, Ford WSS M2C929-A and all requirements of ILSAC GF-4 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils and meets Energy Conserving Standards.
"

Last edited by UTVOL06; 10-31-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:39 AM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
Pennzoil Platinum meets all mfg specs and is often discounted by Pep Boys, as it is now. $2 a quart after rebate. I used it at my first change, 2000 miles, and have bought more since. They have improved the process in refining it, from what I've read, and if you consider it short money to change every 5K, as I do, how can you go wrong? Penn is an old time refiner with an excellent reputation. It may not be the ne plus ultra of synthetics, but it is ok'd by GM for the Corvette and for 5000 miles is as good as any other choice. $12 + 5 for the filter--and knowing that it is done right, is a very good deal, imo.
Been using it since the first oil change.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Irv
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
According to the Material Safety Data Sheet:

Ingredient # 01
Ingredient Name (ZNCPD) ZINC DIALKLDITHIOPHOSPHATE INHIBITOR
CAS Number 68649423
Proprietary NO
Percent 1
Ingredient # 02
Ingredient Name POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE, POLYOL
CAS Number 1003
Percent 5
Ingredient # 03
Ingredient Name ALKYLATED DIPHENYL AMINES
CAS Number 68411461
Proprietary NO
Percent 1

5% PAO. Also see Wikipedia reference-linkSynthetic_oil
So that adds up to 7%. Polyalphaolefin isn't even listed directly, yet Mobil claims its in there. I'm not trained to read these data sheets... is there a chemical engineer on board that can explain this stuff and the purported discrepency?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:04 PM
Jacksonbart
Racer

mobil 1
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 PM
C6 Corvette - SRQ
Advanced

Checked out the Mobil 1 website.

I believe that I will follow the manufacturer's recommendation and use Mobil 1 5W-30.

Simple decision?

What I would like to see is a K&N oil filter for the LS2.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
longboy4
Burning Brakes

Default Endorsements and truth? Believe it!

Originally Posted by Vinny Boombotts
Let me know the results when you use it. German Castrol has received an enormous cult following and I'm curious to know if it is based in any truth!
........Yes!..........German Castrol!...........Immediatly you will notice after changing to this sludge that you sleep better, your cloths are much whiter and brighter, 9 outta 10 doctors will endorse it, independant lab studies will prove it, your breath is fresher, no more dandruff, you can run faster and leep higher, you never wait in line at the airport anymore, you can redeem expired coupons, add more digits to the horsepower rating, paint will hold its shine longer, girls will love you, men will envy you,.........all because you made that decission to change your oil to a different brand!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:44 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

On any MSDS, the section about the composition is to disclose those components with known harmful effects to people. The polyalphaolefins are NOT hazardous to people, so are not listed. They are the majority of the other 93%.

The POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE is a cyclic organic compound with nitrogen and oxygen added. Think ammonia blended in with the oil, not the stuff you want to drink with cigars.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Irv
Drifting

Originally Posted by clevitekid
On any MSDS, the section about the composition is to disclose those components with known harmful effects to people. The polyalphaolefins are NOT hazardous to people, so are not listed. They are the majority of the other 93%.

The POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE is a cyclic organic compound with nitrogen and oxygen added. Think ammonia blended in with the oil, not the stuff you want to drink with cigars.
Thanks. That's what I figured was on an MSDS, but didn't know for sure. Are you confident PAO makes of the majority of the rest, or could Mobil1 still be a GRPIII-IV blend?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

AMSOIL
Old 10-31-2006, 05:05 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
Pennzoil Platinum meets all mfg specs and is often discounted by Pep Boys, as it is now. $2 a quart after rebate. I used it at my first change, 2000 miles, and have bought more since. They have improved the process in refining it, from what I've read, and if you consider it short money to change every 5K, as I do, how can you go wrong? Penn is an old time refiner with an excellent reputation. It may not be the ne plus ultra of synthetics, but it is ok'd by GM for the Corvette and for 5000 miles is as good as any other choice. $12 + 5 for the filter--and knowing that it is done right, is a very good deal, imo.
Pennzoil & Quakerstate are both owned by "SOPUS." That's SHELL OIL PRODUCTS UNITED STATES. I use Quakerstate "Q" because it dyno's better when hot.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:20 PM
08VelocityZ
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by vjones
I have used mobile one in all our vehicles, full synthetic. It was in our 2002 Jeep Wrangler sport which was lifted etc and it did very well. Sometimes Jeeps can burn oil and it seemed to be just fine.

Anyway like others stated, use what you like.
I have a lifted 2003 Wrangler and a Honda Pilot. Before that I had a Chevy 2500HD with the 8.0L motor, Chevy Tahoe, and a 1500 Z71. I've used Mobil 1 for a long time in all these vehicles and they all have performed flawlessly.

I had planned on using Mobil 1 in the vette, long before I knew of the requirement... so.. I'm sticking with Mobil 1.

07Lemans
Old 10-31-2006, 06:35 PM
us2bsrt
Pro

Actually, the "other stuff" as you say is much better especially at protecting the engine if it carries the ACEA A3 rating which is the European High Temp High Shear rating. Did you notice that Mobil 1 5W-30 does not carry the A3 rating but some of the "other stuff" does! Mobil 1 0W-40 carries the A3 rating and for good reason! That's the oil that Mobil "built" for Mercedes-Benz years ago and that's why it is factory fill for all MB AMG, Porshe, BMW and as of 2 years ago, Dodge Viper in addition to Aston-Martin. The cavalier attitude that you possess regarding engine oil could potentially get you in some trouble down the road especially if you plan to keep your C6 for a substantial amount of time! You should spend some time educating yourself regarding the hard facts about engine oil rather then being so willing to be led around by your nose because of what it says on your oil filler cap!
Not a fan of your attitude Vinny, but you are correct as far as Daimler Chrysler is concerned. All of Dodges SRTs use Mobil1 0w- 40. This has obviously trickled down from thier partnership with MB/AMG. If its good enough for those guys its good enough for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Oil for C6

Old 10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

Originally Posted by longboy4
........Yes!..........German Castrol!...........Immediatly you will notice after changing to this sludge that you sleep better, your cloths are much whiter and brighter, 9 outta 10 doctors will endorse it, independant lab studies will prove it, your breath is fresher, no more dandruff, you can run faster and leep higher, you never wait in line at the airport anymore, you can redeem expired coupons, add more digits to the horsepower rating, paint will hold its shine longer, girls will love you, men will envy you,.........all because you made that decission to change your oil to a different brand!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi All,
I'm planning an oil change for my C6 at 4000 miles and would like to know what engine oils other than Mobil 1 can be used. Mobil 1 is good but I've been told there are better especially for the Las Vegas desert heat that I drive my Z51 in. Any personalnexperience with German Castrol, Redline or Mobil 1 0W-40 in your C6?
The following AMSOIL products are labeled to meet GM Standard 4718M:
AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 10w30
AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30

These used oil analysis reports I had done on a fellow forum members car shows that the German Castrol is a really good oil, but that the American made AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 performed as well if not better.
Used Oil Analysis Comparison: German Castrol 0w30 vs AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Irv
Up until recently, Mobil 1 was always using a group 4/group 5 base oil. But recent testing by an independant source has shown that some of the new Mobil 1 products out there are indeed group 3!! It shocked the heck out of me, but their 15w50 EP and 5w30 EP both tested on a gas chromagraph test to contain a group 3 base oil!! It appears Mobil 1 has decided if you can't beat em, join em. Most of the "fully synthetic" oils sold in the stores these days are using a group 3 base oil. That doesn't necessarily mean they are bad oils though.

For the latest oil info, check out http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Quick Reply: Best Oil for C6