C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body Off Winter Project Started

Old 10-28-2006, 10:57 AM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Body Off Winter Project Progress (with Pic's)

This week I got started on removing the body on my 67 Coupe. So far it has gone pretty easy. I am using the Noland Adams check list. Got electrics disconneced, radiator fan & shroud removed, front & rear bumpers off, rear valance off (found lots of repairs on it and other places on the body underside), master cylinder removed & brake lines disconnected, etc. Still have most of the under body stuff to remove or disconnect. Got the rear body mount bolts out, I hope the other 6 mounts are as easy. My plan is to have it ready to lift the body by Sunday and do the lift sometime next week.

While it is off I am cleaning & painting the frame with POR-15, installing my Keisler 5-speed, replace all wiring harnesses (from LL), all new brake & fuel lines & master cylinder, detail the engine bay, replace all nuts & bolts I remove (whoever worked on this prior to me used anything they could get their hands on. They used metric & SAE bolts). I think I am going to try to find a used blast cabinet to make the cleaning job easier.

It looks like it is going to be a very busy winter. I'll start posting pictures of my progress in a few days. I am sure I'll need lots of advice and pointers during this project. Thanks in advance for anybody who would like to contribute.
Roy

Last edited by 67-427ci; 12-28-2006 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:08 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Something to consider. The couple of Keisler 5 speeds I have installed have had clearance issues between the trans and the tunnel. The fix was to lift the bodies and install 3 shims under each of the body mounts-this effectively raised the body the thickness of the shims and gave necessary clearance and since each mount got an equal number of shims, there was no change in body fit or door gaps. Good luck on your restoration. Don't feel embarassed to ask any question no matter how small or trivial.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:13 PM
bigearl56
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Off-Frame!

Roy, Sounds like you are doing it by the books which IMO is the only way to go. I have done off-frames on tri-five chevy's by the seat of my pants and boy do you make a lot of time consuming mistakes. Members of the forum sharing freely is a great asset. Keep us posted with a many pic's as possible and believe me it will be greatly appreciated. Good Luck and Happy Restoring!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:11 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
Something to consider. The couple of Keisler 5 speeds I have installed have had clearance issues between the trans and the tunnel. The fix was to lift the bodies and install 3 shims under each of the body mounts-this effectively raised the body the thickness of the shims and gave necessary clearance and since each mount got an equal number of shims, there was no change in body fit or door gaps. Good luck on your restoration. Don't feel embarassed to ask any question no matter how small or trivial.
Ken:
That sounds like excellent advice. The new body mount kit came with lots of extra shims. I'll keep this in mind when we drop the body back on the frame.

Here are a few pic's of my progress. I uncovered some areas that need fiberglass repair under the sidepipe covers and at the right front bumper mounting hole.

I have a webcam setup in my garage that can be accessed at this link Roy's Corvette garage. When you click on the link you will be prompted for a username and password; leave both fields blank and click OK. If you do not get an image, you will need to install JAVA. This is best viewed on a high-speed connection. It might be pretty slow on dial-up.
Roy
Attached Images       

Last edited by 67-427ci; 10-28-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:41 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Blast Cabinet

I went out in the pursuit of a sand blasting cabinet today. There was a truckload tool sale at our local armory. Most was junk made in China, but I did find this blast cabinet for $100.00. After getting it home, 4 hours later and a few beers I finally got it assembled. I was surprised all the pieces actually fit properly and the assembly instructions were accurate. Now I can properly clean all the smaller pieces prior to painting with POR-15.
Roy
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like fun I found a lot of metric fasteners onmine too Now that I am finally done working 6 days a week, maybe I can get back to mine, although our days have still been pretty warm (high 80's)
Old 10-29-2006, 11:18 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey, its like 1115... why ain't you in the garage workin...... Very cool with the webcam....

/joe
Old 10-29-2006, 06:29 PM
livin
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 85 Posts

Congratulations on going down the Body Off Road. I used the Noland Adams Checklist too, and posted pics on the forum early this spring of my 57, which is my first body off..... I can't wait to get finished....

that box sure does look handy!!! I think I am going to have to get one!

keep up the pics... its great!!!!
The following users liked this post:
black1961 (11-28-2020)
Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 PM
keithkhd1
Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Roy,
The garage looks good as well. I was bummed to find too late that I stayed 5 minutes from you while in Elmyra. The owner of that B&B (Painted Lady) owns a sharp black 66 327 roadster and made room in his garage while I stayed. Next time through I will let you know ahead of time.
PS I replace metric fasteners with standard ones on my Toyota truck as much as possible.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by keithkhd1
Roy,
The garage looks good as well. I was bummed to find too late that I stayed 5 minutes from you while in Elmyra. The owner of that B&B (Painted Lady) owns a sharp black 66 327 roadster and made room in his garage while I stayed. Next time through I will let you know ahead of time.
PS I replace metric fasteners with standard ones on my Toyota truck as much as possible.
Hi Keith:
The Painted Lady is a pretty nice place. Elmira has quite a few very nice B&B's now. You can walk to my house from the Painted Lady in less than 5 minutes. I am only 2 blocks from there.

Back to the project:
A friend came over today and we finished the Noland Adams checklist and the body is ready to be lifted. Everything is loose and we did a test lift at each mount. We decided to change the lift method and use a portable hoist and a body lift harness. I think I have enough room in the garage to make it work.

In going over the body today I found the number 160 in faint white marker (large numbers) on the passenger side lower firewall (engine side). Would that be the original build/job number? I have no idea what it means, but I'll snap a picture after the body is off.

I loaded the blast cabinet with media today and gave it a try. All I can say is this will make cleaning the smaller parts prior to paint much easier. My compressor had no problem keeping up with the blasting.

Here's one for you; I removed the body mount cushions and I have a factory original set (with only 40 years of use) with traces of the original washer rusted beyond recognition. What do you think? Should I post them on eBay as survivor parts?
Roy
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2006, 01:19 AM
livin
Drifting

"In going over the body today I found the number 160 in faint white marker (large numbers) on the passenger side lower firewall (engine side). Would that be the original build/job number? I have no idea what it means, but I'll snap a picture after the body is off."

That is the body sequence #. Check out the current NCRS Driveline, there is a whole article on it.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

[QUOTE=livinThat is the body sequence #. Check out the current NCRS Driveline, there is a whole article on it. [/QUOTE]

I think you mean the "Restorer", not the "Driveline".
Old 10-30-2006, 01:58 PM
livin
Drifting

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I think you mean the "Restorer", not the "Driveline".

WHOOPS!!!

You are absolutely correct..... slip of the brain..... it is The "Restorer"

I love the new Restorer's format. Wayne is doing a stellar job!

Thanks John, sorry if I confused anyone!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

You can use Hockey pucks to lift the body where it sags and get some clerance.

Tom M
Old 10-31-2006, 10:51 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
You can use Hockey pucks to lift the body where it sags and get some clerance.
Tom M
Thanks Tom, I appreciate the suggestion. I will be curious to see how the clearance is with new body mounts.

We are going to plan "C" to lift the body. I received the body lift sling today and did some measuring. I do not have enough height in the garage to use it. I went over it with a friend who owns a construction company. He is going to bring over a piece of equipment that has a long boom on it and we are going to pull the body this weekend.
Roy
Old 11-03-2006, 11:07 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Spent this week blasting and painting all the bumper mounting brackets & splash shields with POR-15. The new blast cabinet makes cleanup of the metal parts a breeze. We are going to do the body lift Saturday afternoon. I'll post the pictures Saturday night.
Roy
Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Body Lift with Pic's

Got the body off this afternoon . Thanks to my good friend (Mike) who brought over his Loadall front end loader. We had it off and on the body dolly in less than 1 hour. Before we pushed it back in the garage we sprayed the frame with degreaser and got all the loose crud off with a pressure washer. I am very pleased with the condition. There is no area (that I can see) that is rusted through, just a lot of surface rust. Now the fun begins with plenty of work for the winter.
Roy
Attached Images       

Get notified of new replies

To Body Off Winter Project Started

Old 11-04-2006, 08:10 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

More Body Lift Pic's
Attached Images       
Old 11-04-2006, 08:28 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope you don't get tired of these pictures.
Attached Images       

Last edited by 67-427ci; 11-04-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:36 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

And finaly the end of the pictures for today. Now that the body is off, my garage got pretty small.
Roy
Attached Images       

Last edited by 67-427ci; 11-04-2006 at 08:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body Off Winter Project Started