C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Side exhaust conversion kits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Side exhaust conversion kits?

Quick question about converting a 65-67 Corvette from straight thru exhaust to factory side exhaust. I see that Ecklers and Corvette Central have "complete" kits that have all the parts required to do the side exhaust conversion. Is one company better that that other..or are they pretty much the same? Any other companies out there? Which kit would be better: the aluminized or the stainless? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Dicecal; 10-21-2006 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:43 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

stainless steel is always better (if it's a good grade of stainless..); and "IF" you're gonna keep the car forever, it's expensive...
Bill
Old 10-21-2006, 07:45 AM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I used the kit from Ecklers to convert my 66 from under car to a pipe car. I used the stainless products. The pipes turned out to be Allens pipes in my kit. Everything was included and fit properly. Check first if everything is available. I have heard the covers are in short supply recently. Don't forget the rear valence will have to be changed. Also if your radio does not work now don't bother fixing it. They are loud but they are great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis
Old 10-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
I used the kit from Ecklers to convert my 66 from under car to a pipe car. I used the stainless products. The pipes turned out to be Allens pipes in my kit. Everything was included and fit properly. Check first if everything is available. I have heard the covers are in short supply recently. Don't forget the rear valence will have to be changed. Also if your radio does not work now don't bother fixing it. They are loud but they are great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis
Dennis, Yes all of the kits are back ordered, so I'm just just trying to figure out the best way to go. Do the Allens pipes included in the Eckler's kit have nice bends to minimize HP loses? Did you go with 2" or 2 1/2" pipes? I was also looking at the press molded rear filler panels from Eckler's too. Thanks!

Last edited by Dicecal; 10-21-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:16 AM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

The pipes are bent nicely and fit is good. I used the 2.5" pipes. The argument over (or lack of it) regarding any HP gains has been discussed at end here. Check the archives. Bottom line seems that side exhaust does not gain you anything in the HP category but more gains in the category. I first had my pipes installed on to my tired 327 NOM. I then swapped for a zz383 from GM Performance. I added Patriot block hugger headers so my connection to the original Allens pipes could not be made. I went to a guy who does custom exhaust and he cut the pipes, bent and added new stainless pipe to fabricate my sidepipes to the Patriot headers. Good luck with the conversion if you decide to go for it. I love mine and would have it no other way. Here are some pics of the fabrication.

Last edited by Dennis Beck; 10-21-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
The pipes are bent nicely and fit is good. I used the 2.5" pipes. The argument over (or lack of it) regarding any HP gains has been discussed at end here. Check the archives. Bottom line seems that side exhaust does not gain you anything in the HP category but more gains in the category. I first had my pipes installed on to my tired 327 NOM. I then swapped for a zz383 from GM Performance. I added Patriot block hugger headers so my connection to the original Allens pipes could not be made. I went to a guy who does custom exhaust and he cut the pipes, bent and added new stainless pipe to fabricate my sidepipes to the Patriot headers. Good luck with the conversion if you decide to go for it. I love mine and would have it no other way. Here are some pics of the fabrication.

Thanks Dennis! Nice!
Old 10-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Just completed my installation last night on my 66 L79 roadster - waiting for the paint on my rear exhaust panel to complete.

I used the Ecklers setup (the pipes actually came with Corvette Central stickers) - ordered last March and the side covers just came in a few weeks ago - one has a mark all the way down and since they are in such short supply I went ahead and used for now - Ecklers is going to exchange when the covers are in better supply. The fit and finish was good, but like all installations anymore, the covers/mouldings/fastners are a real pain to get correct and look good - we took alot of time fitting as needed - came out super and is very correct!

I can tell you one thing, this is the way a mid-year should sound! I fired her up last night around 9:45pm and took a short drive - what a change! I forgot what sidepipes really sound like inside the car as it has been many years since I have had a midyear with side exhaust. The heck with the radio! My C6 daily driver radio is there when I need it, but not when I drive the 66!

I have a complete undercar system with very few miles since the car received a body off - also a OEM rear exhaust panel - red that I may sell - if there is interest, let me know, otherwise I will put in storage for another project.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:02 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rons65
Just completed my installation last night on my 66 L79 roadster - waiting for the paint on my rear exhaust panel to complete.

I used the Ecklers setup (the pipes actually came with Corvette Central stickers) - ordered last March and the side covers just came in a few weeks ago - one has a mark all the way down and since they are in such short supply I went ahead and used for now - Ecklers is going to exchange when the covers are in better supply. The fit and finish was good, but like all installations anymore, the covers/mouldings/fastners are a real pain to get correct and look good - we took alot of time fitting as needed - came out super and is very correct!

I can tell you one thing, this is the way a mid-year should sound! I fired her up last night around 9:45pm and took a short drive - what a change! I forgot what sidepipes really sound like inside the car as it has been many years since I have had a midyear with side exhaust. The heck with the radio! My C6 daily driver radio is there when I need it, but not when I drive the 66!
welcome to the joy of sidepipes, we've been waiting for you
Old 10-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

[I][I]welcome to the joy of sidepipes, we've been waiting for you

I warned my neighbors last weekend to get some sleep as they will always know when I come and go from now on!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Aussie67L71
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dicecal
Quick question about converting a 65-67 Corvette from straight thru exhaust to factory side exhaust. I see that Ecklers and Corvette Central have "complete" kits that have all the parts required to do the side exhaust conversion. Is one company better that that other..or are they pretty much the same? Any other companies out there? Which kit would be better: the aluminized or the stainless? Thanks in advance!!
There are considerable differences in the sound of side-pipes - mainly as a result of the internal diameter of the muffler section. GM standard (OEM) specs are 1 3/4" internal. I have fitted Sweet Thunder (http://www.sweet-thunder.com/corvett...pes_63_67.html) GNM 304ss 2 1/2" to my '65 327/300 & '67 427/435 and they are AWESOME - my wife hates them so that must be good There's a guy in my club with GM OEM in his 66/427 and they soun "dull" compared to mine....Regards, Gary (Perth, Australia)

Get notified of new replies

To Side exhaust conversion kits?

Quick Reply: Side exhaust conversion kits?