C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

If you don't own a Shop Manual, buy one.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default If you don't own a Shop Manual, buy one.

I really don't mind helping out fellow Corvette owners here on the forum, but a lot of folks are asking questions that are covered in detail along with photos and diagrams in the Shop Manual. It's sometimes hard to find the right words to replace a detailed photo. So, I respectfully suggest that those of you who don't own a Shop Manual for your year car go ahead and buy one now instead of waiting until you need it. Sooner or later you'll be glad you did.

Incidentally, one item missing from my Shop Manual is an index. Does anyone have an index for a 1963 Corvette Shop Manual they can share with the forum?
Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 PM
desertpilgrim
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

Let's go BEYOND the "shop manual" - a lot of the questions asked here could be answered by the "Owner's Manual".
Old 10-17-2006, 12:13 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

kellsdad--I too am missing the index for my shop manual-1966. I guess they wore out real quick.
In exchange, I will offer this link to a proper index for the 1966 Assembly Manual. ( It's not mine, I stole it off this forum somewhere ).

http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...im_subject.htm

Old 10-17-2006, 02:09 AM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by desertpilgrim
Let's go BEYOND the "shop manual" - a lot of the questions asked here could be answered by the "Owner's Manual".
Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 AM
OldDog58Vette
Burning Brakes

Location: Bonner Springs Kansas... pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. Hay...I know that guy!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.........but, sometimes it just good to talk to someone that may have done something on there car that is in the shop or owners manual that now have some insight into the job that you just can't get in a manual........or I could be wrong...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OldDog,

Exactly the thought I had. Sometimes the history is more interesting than the problem.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Guys, I welcome you expressing your opinions, but I don't entirely agree. For example, it's one thing for someone to post "I've searched the Shop Manual but I can't find how to remove the ignition switch," or "I've read how to remove the ignition switch, but I don't understand the difference between OFF and LOCK." It's another thing to post, "How do I remove the ignition switch on my car?" and not even mention the year model they own.

I think its great when folks have done a little homework and then seek advice on how to do the job better or easier. I don't think it's great when folks routinely try to substitute the wide range of answers they can get on this forum for a Shop Manual, AIM or Owner's Manual.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

so true - if you don't have enough brains to plunk down $15 for a repro owner's manual and read for yourself what the timing and dwell specs are for your car-engine, or how the vent fan operates, or where the recommended jacking points are, etc. then I have to assume we are from different planets . . . .
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Vogie
Drifting

On the face of the discussion, I agree with all the points made by all here. I was thinking back to the trick about using long screws when working with the dash. Had someone not asked how to rewire their dash, that trick would have remained an obscure trick known by few. I agree that one should refer to the appropriate manuals first, then maybe ask if there is an easy way. This issue is not unique to this website.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:30 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

let me be clear - I am not talking about "how do I?" questions where someone is about to embark on a project, big or small, and would benefit from advice from those who have done it before.

I am talking about the "what's the factory timing spec for my 65 L76 engine" questions . . . . although, even there (and to your point) you get answers that go beyond the requested number and inform the member as to what really works best in practice
Old 10-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the repro manual. I will see if it has the index
Old 10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Blk63Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi
I have a 1963 Corvette Shop manual and the AIM manual I find the AIM manual useful for its pictures...

However, I usually ask questions in regarding if anyone has done the type of job (most have I come to find out!) and are there any secrets to getting it done easier or quicker...

Old 10-17-2006, 10:55 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk63Vette
Hi
I have a 1963 Corvette Shop manual and the AIM manual I find the AIM manual useful for its pictures...
IMO we seem to be having a name the manual problem here.

The index link posted above is for the 66 AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual), and its compliment (sorted alphabetically) is available at the bottom of this web page: http//www.corvetteforum.net/classics/ magicmachine/index5.shtml

I have been told by others who got the 66 AIM index as an xls file, that they would convert it to 63 to 65 indexes, but I haven't heard from them (or I would post the results).

The 66 "shop manual" is named the Chassis Service Manual, for those of you who are confused by reference to the more common name given to manufacturers repair manuals for dealer mechanics. Actually, I have never looked to see if the Chassis Service Manual has an index. Does it?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:19 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

The names of the manuals may change over time. Here's one with 28 years of patina:
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey thanks. Does that have an index?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

In addition to an owner's manual, AIM, and appropriate service manual(s), all owners should have a copy of the AMA specs that is included with the "Corvette Restoration Package", available complimentary from GM Customer Service, 800-222-1020. They will want your VIN.

For pre-'63 models the service manual is ST-12. For '63 to '65 you need a 1963 Corvette Shop Manual and '64 or '65 Supplement as required.

Beginning in '66 all operations for all pass. cars including Corvette are in a "Chassis Service Manual" and "Chassis Overhaul Manual". I believe there is also a body manual.

All these pubs are reasonably priced, and if you ever plan on taking a wrench to your car, you should have ALL of them.

I answer very few questions because more often than not, owners don't even give a model year, engine option, or other data that is pertinent to the task.

It's one thing to provide help based on experience. It's quite another to spoon feed adults who who don't know the first thing about their cars because they don't have any of the above documentation.

Duke
Old 10-17-2006, 12:04 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

No, the 1963 Corvette Shop Manual did not come with an index. If I search long enough I can usually find what I need, but sometimes it takes a while. I'm hoping someone with a lot of free time did everyone else a favor and created an index on a downloadable file.

Get notified of new replies

To If you don't own a Shop Manual, buy one.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Shop manuals have a table of contents, and GM uses a standard numbering system for various systems. The engine is "6", (with engine subsystems such as cooling, ignition and charging systems in subgroups), transmission is "7", brakes "5", rear suspension and driveline is "4"....

So look in the index for the appropriate section, then go to that section and skim through the information until you get to what you need.

Duke
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

All of the Shop Manuals and Chassis Service Manuals (and the Chassis Overhaul Manuals) have an index on the second page, on the right side, top to bottom of the page - not rocket science. As posted earlier, the Owner's Manuals also have a wealth of information.

I can't imagine anyone owning a 40-year-old car without having the Owner's Manual and applicable GM Service and Overhaul Manuals, and the Assembly Manual. You need them to do your own work, and if you don't, do you really think any dealership or independent garage, alignment shop, frame shop, etc. is going to have the correct 40-year-old technical references on hand? Not likely.

If you have a classic car worth $40K-$100K, $85.00 for all the correct technical references to maintain it doesn't seem unreasonable.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Vogie
Drifting

I guess the real debate is the difference between owning the manuals and reading them as so clearly stated by Duke.

Quick Reply: If you don't own a Shop Manual, buy one.