C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best Wiring Diagrams Are . . . . . ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Best Wiring Diagrams Are . . . . . ?

Which do you consider the best wiring diagrams on the market? I know Don Olson's are supposed to be particularly good and clear.

I also hear good comments about Dr. Rebuild's diagrams, and indeed the photos of his on the website do show a lot of detail, even include photos of the connectors, fuse box, etc. He also advertises that his were made using actual harnesses and correct errors even in the published AIM diagrams.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-14-2006, 06:44 PM
al329
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.oosoez.com/olson/olson.html
Old 10-14-2006, 06:47 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not familiar with Doc Rebuild's, so I can't comment on it other than to speculate that it's probably very good.

I've had a monochrome Lectric Limited diagram for years. It seems to be simply a blow-up, laminated copy of the factory diagram, errors and all. It is identical to the diagrams in my Assemby Manual and other manuals.

At Carlisle this year Stepwolf was selling the Olson Diagrams and I pre-ordered one for my '64 Coupe.

I used it the first day back from Carlisle because of some front & rear turn signal work I was doing. Right out of the chute it proved to be more concise than the LL/Factory diagram, because it defines the 18ga White wire in the front turn signal "pigtail".

Since then I've used it numerous times and am very pleased with it. I have found one extremely minor typo, where he mislabels a short section of Pink/Black wire as simply being Pink, but hey.....none of us are perfect.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:55 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

At the bottom of this web page http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...e/index5.shtml is a link to a diagram for your 66 convertible. If you want one for your 65 coupe, I can add it to the list. I made a custom for DZVETTE's 65 coupe with a 1 wire alternator and auxiliary A-C fan. If you want the 65 diagram added, tell me if your's has A-C too.

PS: My diagrams are not the best of anything. They are a (everything on) 1 page jpg that any photoeditor can fit to any size printer paper, so you can stuff one in the glove box and insert one in the shop manual.

PPS: The easiest way to see them clearly is to save them as a jpg and use your computer's photo editor to open them.

Last edited by magicv8; 10-14-2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by al329
Very Interesting . . . .
Old 10-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by magicv8
At the bottom of this web page http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...e/index5.shtml is a link to a diagram for your 66 convertible. If you want one for your 65 coupe, I can add it to the list. I made a custom for DZVETTE's 65 coupe with a 1 wire alternator and auxiliary A-C fan. If you want the 65 diagram added, tell me if your's has A-C too.

PS: My diagrams are not the best of anything. They are a (everything on) 1 page jpg that any photoeditor can fit to any size printer paper, so you can stuff one in the glove box and insert one in the shop manual.
Thanks Magic, I will print one out for my '66 for the glovebox (I have one in the AIM and also another in an aftermarket manual I also have).

But, I like the idea of one in the glovebox as well. And if you have ready access to a '65 with A/C, I'd be happy to have that as well. (By the way, I've visited your site previously, thanks for posting all the info you have and for sharing with the rest of the community. You've got some good info there!!)

My original question relates primarily to the differences in Doc Rebuild's and Don Olson's drawings, as I'd like to also have a larger one in color. Just wondering what folks thought in comparing the two. And, I thought the link posted above by al329 was also interesting . . .

Last edited by Ron Miller; 10-14-2006 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:56 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 854 Likes on 625 Posts

I was just over picking up some parts at Dr. Rebuild the other day and his wife showed me one of the new wiring diagrams and it is awesome. I have never seen Don Olsons but the Dr. Rebuild has a picture of what the connector looks like. VEry nice and only 12.95 I think.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I was just over picking up some parts at Dr. Rebuild the other day and his wife showed me one of the new wiring diagrams and it is awesome. I have never seen Don Olsons but the Dr. Rebuild has a picture of what the connector looks like. VEry nice and only 12.95 I think.
Right, you can view a pic on his website. It does look very informative; however, I'm like you, I've never seen one of Don Olson's. You can see what Doc Rebuild's looks like by clicking the link in al329's post above, or by going to the Doc's website.

That's the primary reason for this thread, to see who has seen both, and which of the two (or others that I may not be aware of) is the best deal going, in their opinion. I'd like to have a laminated copy for my shop work.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:26 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Miller
...however, I'm like you, I've never seen one of Don Olson's. You can see what Doc Rebuild's looks like by clicking the link in al329's post above,...
A sample of Don Olson's is on the same doc rebuild link from al329's post. It is the diagram just above the sample Doc Rebuild diagram
Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 PM
1963GrayGray
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 71 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C1 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Default wiring diagrahm

I have both the 62 and 63 diagrams from Don Olsen. They are great tools. I wish that I had bought them much sooner.

Dave Gray
Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963GrayGray
I have both the 62 and 63 diagrams from Don Olsen. They are great tools. I wish that I had bought them much sooner.

Dave Gray

I have one for my '65. Great tool to have.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tossin

I have one for my '65. Great tool to have.
Your diagrams resemble the Don Olson diagrams shown on Doc Rebuild's site mentioned in 62jeff's post?
Old 10-14-2006, 10:04 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a picture of the Don Olson diagram I have on my wall for my 65...

Old 10-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Thanks Jeff. That looks like a version of the AIM schematic that has been updated in color. Is that what it appears to you?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:09 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes and no. I suppose it depends on how the terms are used.

The diagram is in a format consistent with the AIM format. That is to say, it looks like a pretty typical wiring diagram but in color, as opposed to the Dr. Rebuild diagram which is a new approach to diagrams.

The diagram is not simply a copy of the AIM that has been converted to color. It is at a minimum a redrawn diagram in the same flavor as the AIM.

I hope that is clear
Old 10-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Yes and no. I suppose it depends on how the terms are used.

The diagram is in a format consistent with the AIM format. That is to say, it looks like a pretty typical wiring diagram but in color, as opposed to the Dr. Rebuild diagram which is a new approach to diagrams.

The diagram is not simply a copy of the AIM that has been converted to color. It is at a minimum a redrawn diagram in the same flavor as the AIM.

I hope that is clear
Yeah, I think it's clear. Probably a redrawn AIM, perhaps scaled up. But the layout, routing relative positions of the heater resistor and fuse panel shown in your photo are identical (other than having the wiring shown in color) to the layout of the electrical wiring shown on page E243, Wirnig Diagram - Fuse Panel, of my 1965 AIM. Even the scaling and relative locations of all items appear the same.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, I think it's clear. Probably a redrawn AIM, perhaps scaled up. But the layout, routing relative positions of the heater resistor and fuse panel shown in your photo are identical (other than having the wiring shown in color) to the layout of the electrical wiring shown on page E243, Wirnig Diagram - Fuse Panel, of my 1965 AIM. Even the scaling and relative locations of all items appear the same.

Yep, you got it. Redrawn, scaled up, in color. I love mine but I'll still order the ones from Dr. Rebuild to add to my collection to get a different perspective on the wiring. I can't even look at the black and white diagram in the AIM anymore, I've been spoiled by color

Oh no, I've begun replying to another thread about wiring

Get notified of new replies

To Best Wiring Diagrams Are . . . . . ?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
Yep, you got it. Redrawn, scaled up, in color. I love mine but I'll still order the ones from Dr. Rebuild to add to my collection to get a different perspective on the wiring. I can't even look at the black and white diagram in the AIM anymore, I've been spoiled by color

Oh no, I've begun replying to another thread about wiring
Thanks much. I can see where either of the drawings would be a big improvement over the black & white AIM drawings. I like the Doc's approach as well, especially the photos of actual connectors, fuse panel, etc., that are included!!

Old 10-14-2006, 10:38 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks much.
You are most welcome! Aside from discussions on whether or not certain types of diagrams contain errors, the approach used in the Doc's diagrams looks like it would be very helpful if you were trying to rewire you car or debug wiring issues.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:49 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Right, you can view a pic on his website. It does look very informative; however, I'm like you, I've never seen one of Don Olson's. You can see what Doc Rebuild's looks like by clicking the link in al329's post above, or by going to the Doc's website.

That's the primary reason for this thread, to see who has seen both, and which of the two (or others that I may not be aware of) is the best deal going, in their opinion. I'd like to have a laminated copy for my shop work.

I've got both, I prefer Doc's for the pictures of the connectors because, in the end, you are not splicing bare wires, you are trying to connect a harness properly.

Quick Reply: Best Wiring Diagrams Are . . . . . ?