C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Points Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
ggreenwald
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Points Install Question

My 67 327 has developed a bad miss and is not burning all the fuel under load. I have changed everything electrical possible, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, etc. No change. The only component I have not changed is the electronic points replacement unit (Pertronix) the previous owner installed. To eliminate this as a possible cause, I want to install a set of points.

My question, do I just run a single wire from the points to the positive side of the coil? Appreciate any help.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Wire goes from the points to the negative side of the coil. Make sure you still have the ballast resistor installed in the positive feed circuit.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

You might also check where the red power feed wire from the existing Pertronix unit is connected; it needs a full 12 volts to operate properly (especially at high rpm), and if it's connected to the coil (+) terminal, it's only getting 7-8 volts (assuming your ballast resistor is still installed).
Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM
ggreenwald
Cruising

Thank you for the quick reply and proper wiring for the points. The Pertronix unit was wired directly to the negative and positive terminals on the coil and I do have the original ballast resistor in place. Not sure how it was running well prior to this problem. When testing the voltage on the positive side of the coil I read 4.81 VDC with the key in the on position and 10.30 VDC when cranking the engine. Thanks again for the support.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:12 PM
ggreenwald
Cruising

Apologize for the previous post, I do not have a coil ballast installed, just the coil capacitor.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:47 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
You might also check where the red power feed wire from the existing Pertronix unit is connected; it needs a full 12 volts to operate properly (especially at high rpm), and if it's connected to the coil (+) terminal, it's only getting 7-8 volts (assuming your ballast resistor is still installed).
John, if you used a Pertronix, how would you wire it? I have installed a couple of them using the ballast resistor am not sure I am getting full performance. Also, I would not think a Pertronix would cause a miss-more like a run/no run situation?
Ken

Last edited by kenEDMUNDS; 10-11-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Don SSDD
Racer

Could be a carb issue- bad float or accelerator pump?

Don
Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
John, if you used a Pertronix, how would you wire it? I have installed a couple of them using the ballast resistor am not sure I am getting full performance. Also, I would not think a Pertronix would cause a miss-more like a run/no run situation?
Ken

I stole this diagram from JohnZ...............who apparently stole it from someone else on the forum..................hmmm....his name has escaped me for the moment.

Disclaimer: Apparently, even the people at Pertronix are not sure how to wire them so use this diagram with discretion.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:48 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by buns
I stole this diagram from JohnZ...............who apparently stole it from someone else on the forum..................hmmm....his name has escaped me for the moment.

Disclaimer: Apparently, even the people at Pertronix are not sure how to wire them so use this diagram with discretion.
That's exactly how I have mine wired

That diagram is probably the only thing I've done on the forum lately that doesn't sound like whining and complaining
Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
piper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some information on this How do i attact something into my post I have scanned something i want to post thank You Ed
Old 10-11-2006, 11:35 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by piper
I have some information on this How do i attact something into my post I have scanned something i want to post thank You Ed
This thread should walk you through that...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=post+picture
Old 10-12-2006, 12:06 AM
piper
Burning Brakes

I can not get it to work sh-- I have the direction on the Flame Thrower and the Pertronix and it said to leave the ballast resister along Just hook the red wire from the Ignitor to the ignition switch side of the resister and you still have the positive side of the coil wire going to the resister Maybe that is the way the picture shows it but I do not see the other wire I have two good pictures of it but I can not get them on
PS This is the 1.5 ohm Flame Thrower

Last edited by piper; 10-12-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the direction on the Flame Thrower and the Pertronix and it said to leave the ballast resister along Just hook the red wire from the Ignitor to the ignition switch side of the resister and you still have the positive side of the coil wire going to the resister Maybe that is the way the picture shows it but I do not see the other wire I have two good pictures of it but I can not get them on
Take a look at the bottom layout in that wiring diagram posted in this thread.

The red wire from the Pertronix goes to the ignition switch side of the ballast resistor.

The black wire from the Petronix goes to the negative side of the coil.

The coil side of the ballast resistor (the wire that goes to the + side of teh coil) should be moved to the other side of the resistor, where the pertronix red wire, and the ignition wire, are located.

The end result is you'll have 3 wires on the same terminal on the resistor, no wires on the other terminal on the resistor.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Don SSDD
Racer

And what Jeff says means is this wiring setup is not putting any current through the BR, but from a cosmetic point of view, it looks stock. You could remove the BR and just join the wires shown.

Don
Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 AM
piper
Burning Brakes

The direction for the Pertronix and the flame throws said,Do not take the ballast resister out of the mix. I have three things scanned now and I do not know how to post them but I can send them to anybody that want them and it shows that you do not wire it the way you say Mine is wired the way the direction are and was done 2 years ago and it is find Maybe lars can jump in

Last edited by piper; 10-12-2006 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 AM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BUNS, thanks for posting the diagram.
KEn
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by piper
The direction for the Pertronix and the flame throws said,Do not take the ballast resister out of the mix. I have three things scanned now and I do not know how to post them but I can send them to anybody that want them and it shows that you do not wire it the way you say Mine is wired the way the direction are and was done 2 years ago and it is find Maybe lars can jump in
Perhaps your Petronix unit had different requirements than mine did, since it is older it could even be a different style. Note that the diagram says it is for a Petronix Ignitor II, a different generation of Pertronix

Get notified of new replies

To Points Install Question

Old 10-12-2006, 10:12 AM
gegnot
Heel & Toe

I'd also check the carb, if your plugs are fouled. If your not running your car often and using a Holley carb, it could be the problem.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:22 AM
ggreenwald
Cruising

Thanks to all for the input and diagram. Installing the points did not correct the problem, so I will move on to timing and the fuel system. Quick question, I am still trying to determine if I have a ballast resistor. Where would it be located on a 67? I want to ensure I re-install the Pertronix correctly.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Should be right on the firewall, near the wiper motor. If you read about 5 volts at the coil with the key on, you have a ballast installed.

Quick Reply: Points Install Question