C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How To Make A Paint Booth - Easy, 1 Hour

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
64vettegal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Make A Paint Booth - Easy, 1 Hour

Take a look at this:

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

I've been trying to decide where to paint my car at home other than the garage. This looks like it would make a great weekend paint booth.

Install fans on both ends with furnace filters for good air flow. Two fans pushing and two fans pulling.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda cool...but what about lights ? If you are afraid of overspray in the garage. Some people will build a temp thing inside the garage. 2x4 frame and clear plastic tacked to the 2x4's. Then toss everything when you are finished. Or just tack the plastic to the existing walls.

I have a 20x22 garage. One side is almost a full, pull up, carport type door. When I painted my '66. I just left the door up. Put a couple of fans there (pushing out) and went at it. I didn't even use an HVLP gun. The regular kind with lots of stuff in the air. I had on a good respirator, disposable paint suit and hat. I wet the concrete floor down just prior to painting. I also set off a couple of bug bombs prior to paint. I had no trash in the paint. Far better than the paint booths I had used before.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have painted some large trucks for show as well as some custom paintwork on motorhomes and have had to improvise with "quick" paintbooths made of plastic. First of all you would be a better man (ahem) than I if you could build it in anywhere near an hour. A quality one takes time. Second, bugs love outdoor spray booths, they love fresh paint and you are in their space. Also you will find a pusher fan and puller often do not work very well for several reasons but most of all, the puller fans bring in dirt and bugs. If you are intent on setting up such a booth it would have to be on a clean surface (concrete preferably) and your idea of furnace filters is a pretty good one. Put the filters at one end and a good puller fan at the other. Try to get a good explosion proof fan they are safer than a box fan and they pull a lot of air. Remember paint can be dangerous in more ways than one, be careful. Have an area inside to mix your paint (a bench with all of your supplies and paint) so you are not leaving the booth too much and have a good door to leave by, preferably with a dirt free area (kind of like a double door with a space in between) so you are not sucking dirt in whenever you leave. Also since you will not have the benefit of a down draft system that leaves you with a decent amount of fresh air, make sure you protect your lungs. Some people still use a respirator in a booth with lacquer (not a great idea in my opinion), but with catalyzed paint a fresh air system is a must. You will get a cleaner and better job if you are comfortable while spraying and you will save your lungs as well. I have found garages easier to adapt but maybe some others will have some ideas of their own that may help you do it yor way. Good luck-Jim
Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 PM
prestige6
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I built a paint booth on my garage to do my 58. Body shops have plastic which I used unfolds to 15 feet,and says paint side out dust and overspray cling to it. Staple it to the ceiling,then get cheap ferring strips,screw them up to hold the plastic,get three 18"x18" furnace filters tape them to the plastic after they are up cut the plastic. Have plenty of light,wet the floor down. and get a fan hang it up on the one side with no filter tape around it when ready to paint cut out for fan and paint your car,Good luck!!!!! Your neighbors wiil love you especially if you are using Urethane!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:30 AM
aztlanco
Racer

I remember a painter telling me one time that a plastic booth creates humidity and a undesireable atmosphere for painting and that it also could create elctrostatic electricity while painting????????????????

Ernie
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 AM
BufaloBill

Default Paint booth

I have had good luck with the Local body shop to rent their Paint boot over the week end at a resonable rate

BufaloBill
Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
KyleDallas
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used modified plastic drop cloths from Home Depot or the Paint store..
cheap and disposable... I did have a bug encounter when I did mine...
I was 18 years old and heavy on "go get'em" and low on planning...
A bug in your fresh paint will refine your cussing skills to an absolute
razor's edge. ... when you pull it out it leaves a crater in the paint that you will NOT like... especially after you've spent weeks in body prep.
Although I had covered it with an A/C filter...my mothers borrowed
box fan did get some paint on it from the draw through... I used it as a
puller.. it did clean up with some laquer thinner though.
I'm not that big a fan of fans pushing in but I do have a friend who
uses pushers pointed indirectly at the back wall of the makeshift booth
.... this way you are not blowing directly on the car.. he sets his pullers
on one end wall and his pushers facing away from the pullers pointed at 45 degrees towards the oposite end wall set on LOW.with filters taped
on the front of them.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Go to your local paint stores and either ask or look on the wall for the want adds. Someone usually has a professional booth for rent. The Seattle local ones rent for $100 a day, Sat/Sun
Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM
ragtopman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Ahhhh, a subject that I know about. In the perfect world of painting, a positive pressure of .3 to .5 on a manometer is what is desired in a spray booth.

I have used cross flows, no flows(garage), down drafts, and right now am forced to use 100% positive pressure.

The coated plastic works to a point, as already said, it creates to much static. I have always liked newspaper. Go to your local newspaper company and see if the will give you the roll ends of un-printed newspaper paper. Its white and disposable. You can use some of PPG's DX-103 to take care of the static.

In the place that I am right now, the high micron A/C filters are whats on the inlet side and the basic, cheesy, cheap A/c filters are on the exhaust side but due to the positive pressure, it still keeps the trash moving around, but if your going to give it a total sand and buff, go for it. Just make sure the base coat is clean if thats the route that your going.

I have always like the 'lets see who will let me use a booth' route. If you do it on a weekend when the weekday people are'nt working, some people dont have a problem, seeings that there is some money coming in on a day that does'nt usually bring in any but the flip side of it is are the 'liabilitys'.

Get notified of new replies

To How To Make A Paint Booth - Easy, 1 Hour

Quick Reply: How To Make A Paint Booth - Easy, 1 Hour