Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z06 stomping the 997 TT around a race track!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Z06 stomping the 997 TT around a race track!!

http://www.automotorsport.se/biltest...615/061501.pdf

Some quotes:

-The Porsche feels girlish compared to the Corvette. That's probably the first time I have sad that about a Porsche.

-This, you might not wanna take in the final report but the Corvette is pissing on the Porsche.

-2.6 seconds faster per lap. That's like racing in different classes.

God, I love this car..
Old 10-07-2006, 11:51 PM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahh that's such a romantic language.

Thanks, at least the pics are good.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:22 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

The good news is that one day in the near future there will be new models out. Maybe then the comparisons on the Z06 and the 997TT will finally come to an end.

I, for one, will be very happy when it stops. Besides, I can't read German, but the pix were pretty cool.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:02 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Old 10-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Zlicious
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by levrac68
Ahh that's such a romantic language.

Thanks, at least the pics are good.
All I know is that the Z06 beat the 997 TT by 2.6 seconds around the track..lol.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:43 AM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
The good news is that one day in the near future there will be new models out. Maybe then the comparisons on the Z06 and the 997TT will finally come to an end.

I, for one, will be very happy when it stops. Besides, I can't read German, but the pix were pretty cool.
Ha,ha....that's not German....the article is written in Swedish and the test between the Z06 and the Porsche 997 Turbo was made here in Sweden on a racing track called Mantorp.

The magazine doing the test is Germany based Automobil. They are normaly very biased towards German cars like Porsche and BMW. So they were surprised by the outcome of this test. Both cars are driven by the STCC champion Richard Ekblom. He thinks the Porsche feels feminine compared to the Z06 and he is the one that says that the "Z06 pisses on the Porsche". Not very poetic perhaps but you understand what he means.

Also the Z06 was 2,6 seconds faster than the Porsche per lap!! As Ekblom says; That's like comparing cars from different classes!!!!

Last edited by Congaman; 10-08-2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:09 AM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Article was very consistent with the C&D article in terms of results on hadling and acceleration. Both cars had quarter mile times around 11.8 s, and the vette had the higher trap speed. The Porshce is faster off of the line but the Z06 catches up and eventually pulls ahead. Z06 was a little faster to 100mph in this test.

I converted some of the test data to English Units:
MPH z06 911TT
0-50 3.0s 2.8s
0-62 4.0s 3.7s
0-80.7 5.6s 5.8s
0-99.4 7.9s 8.0s
0-124 11.9s 12.3s

1/4 11.8@123.65 11.8@121.1

top speed 198.8 mph 192.6 mph
Old 10-08-2006, 08:45 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think it will ever stop. If it stops one will continue to improve and the other will not. Competition is always good for business and the consumer. It is what gave us the cars we now enjoy today.

I think the great thing is that the Amercican made muscle car is now a world contender against a twin turbo Porsche. There may be some loose ends left in the Corvette, but Gm pulled a rabbit out of their hat this time.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Zred06
Burning Brakes

Interesting HP/TQ curves, I don't understand why the HP curve bobbles at the peak for the Z06, any comments? Also, note the massive TQ difference between the 2 cars in the lower end of the RPMs. With all wheel drive, I can see why the P car can launch quicker.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:45 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by Congaman
Ha,ha....that's not German....the article is written in Swedish and the test between the Z06 and the Porsche 997 Turbo was made here in Sweden on a racing track called Mantorp.

The magazine doing the test is Germany based Automobil. They are normaly very biased towards German cars like Porsche and BMW. So they were surprised by the outcome of this test. Both cars are driven by the STCC champion Richard Ekblom. He thinks the Porsche feels feminine compared to the Z06 and he is the one that says that the "Z06 pisses on the Porsche". Not very poetic perhaps but you understand what he means.

Also the Z06 was 2,6 seconds faster than the Porsche per lap!! As Ekblom says; That's like comparing cars from different classes!!!!
From the track map it looks like the Z06 outturns the 997TT in every corner......

What they said about the handling of both cars?

Is this a bumpy track or not?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:50 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Thats pretty funny considering Dave Hill, said he built the Z06 to compete or blow away the 911TT. The man that helped create the car you drive to beat the 911TT then you will always have comparisons.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 AM
raj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zred06
Interesting HP/TQ curves, I don't understand why the HP curve bobbles at the peak for the Z06, any comments? Also, note the massive TQ difference between the 2 cars in the lower end of the RPMs. With all wheel drive, I can see why the P car can launch quicker.
The Z06's torque curve peaks at ~4800 rpm as expected and stays almost flat till ~5500 rpm, but falls rather dramatically between 5500 and 6000 rpm! This drop is sharper than the corresponding rise in rpm over that 500 rpm window causing the HP curve to drop and then recover at 6000 rpm as the torque curve flattens out at that point. The drop is certainly not characteristic and almost looks like a knock sensor pulled back the timing or the A/F ratio went too lean - one of the resident dyno experts should be able shed more light on this.

The peak RWHP value of 474.7 (DIN) translates to 468.2 SAE hp which has to be a record of sorts! Peak RWTQ of 436.8 ft-lbs is in line with typical dyno results. As for the 9997TT, can someone explain what happens to the actual curves (red and blue lines)? Both disappear by 4000 rpm!

Last edited by raj; 10-08-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-08-2006, 11:10 AM
pDz
Racer

well.

different racing classes isn't all that far from the truth.

one is a GT and one is a sports car. the times reflect that --straightline doesn't adequately demonstrate the difference like the track did.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:52 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by raj
The Z06's torque curve peaks at ~4800 rpm as expected and stays almost flat till ~5500 rpm, but falls rather dramatically between 5500 and 6000 rpm! This drop is sharper than the corresponding rise in rpm over that 500 rpm window causing the HP curve to drop and then recover at 6000 rpm as the torque curve flattens out at that point. The drop is certainly not characteristic and almost looks like a knock sensor pulled back the timing or the A/F ratio went too lean - one of the resident dyno experts should be able shed more light on this.

The peak RWHP value of 474.7 (DIN) translates to 468.2 SAE hp which has to be a record of sorts! Peak RWTQ of 436.8 ft-lbs is in line with typical dyno results. As for the 9997TT, can someone explain what happens to the actual curves (red and blue lines)? Both disappear by 4000 rpm!
I agree the HP/torque drop on the Z06 is not characteristic, although the shape of the curve when it drops then recovers is more consistent with wheel spin on the dyno. Like you, I'm curious about what happened.

The red and blue (it's green on my computer) lines are the HP and torque curves when it's not in overboost (they refer to it as OB). Overboost starts ending at 4000 rpm and is all out by 5000 rpm making the curves the same from 5000 rpm on up. If they had continued the non-overboost curves to 5000 rpm, they would have met the overboost curves. I think they should have continued the red and blue/green curves to 5000 rpm instead of just leaving them stopped in the middle of nowhere.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:33 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...&page=1#272824
Old 10-08-2006, 12:58 PM
raj
Drifting

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I agree the HP/torque drop on the Z06 is not characteristic, although the shape of the curve when it drops then recovers is more consistent with wheel spin on the dyno. Like you, I'm curious about what happened.

The red and blue (it's green on my computer) lines are the HP and torque curves when it's not in overboost (they refer to it as OB). Overboost starts ending at 4000 rpm and is all out by 5000 rpm making the curves the same from 5000 rpm on up. If they had continued the non-overboost curves to 5000 rpm, they would have met the overboost curves. I think they should have continued the red and blue/green curves to 5000 rpm instead of just leaving them stopped in the middle of nowhere.
I thought the same until I looked at the heading on column 2 under the Porsche's dyno. It reads "Drivhjul" which is drive wheels (as opposed to "Motor' on column 1) and the peak hp and tq values that are reported below match the blue(or green) and red curves as is the case on column 2 of the Z06's dyno. Also if you look at the explanation below, there is a comment about something "elektroniken...over 4000 varv" which sounds like electronic intervention above 4000 rpm. If those were the dynos without OB they should exactly match the grey cuves in the 1000-1500 rpm range where OB doesn't kick in, but they don't! I think they showed the engine dyno curves (in grey) simply because their chassis dyno runs (blue and red) were aborted at 4K rpm.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Congaman
Pro

Originally Posted by ivan111
From the track map it looks like the Z06 outturns the 997TT in every corner......

What they said about the handling of both cars?

Is this a bumpy track or not?
Well, it's when they are talking about how handling they call the Porsche "feminine"....they think the Z06 has the feeling of a true racer while the Porsche feels a little to soft on the track. This is very funny as the Euro car fans always claim the American cars couldn't handle turns and bends. Now when the oposite is proven they have to deffende them self by saying "ohhh, but the Porsche Turbo is not a sporscar its a GT, and the Corvette has a cheap interior". I call BS to that!!

Mantorp is not what you could call a bumpy track. It's a very good track for the Z06 although it has some very tricky turns.

Many have asked about the performance graphs and the dip after 6.000rpm and so dit Automotorsport. The graph comes from a test performed at Rototest.com. They have a very high reputation in Europe and most of the tests published by Automotorsport are performed by Rototest. Although I couldn't find any explenation on their web site. But who cares when their test shows 478 rwhp (DIN) for the stock Z06!!

http://www.rri.se/popup/performanceg...p?ChartsID=630

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 stomping the 997 TT around a race track!!

Old 10-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by raj

For one, the test was done on a RotoTest unit. This is a hub dyno which will read higher than a roller dyno.

I can't exactly read Swedish, but from what I gather something about the ECU, or traction control, or AWD system would not allow the car to go higher than 4,000 RPM on the dyno. They state it was an electronic reason.

Car and Driver experienced the same problem a few years back with the E46 M3. The solution usually involves pulling a fuse or messing with the computer a little.

I'd say the Z kicked some serious *** in this test. Also note the Porsche was shod with normal street tires...not semi-slicks.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by glass slipper

I'd rule out wheelspin for one good reason.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:51 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Verrückt
I'd rule out wheelspin for one good reason.

I think I'll rule it out too, thanks for the photo. Although you don't see many of those dynos in the States, I should have known with the test done in Europe not to assume anything.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z06 stomping the 997 TT around a race track!!