C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Edit Bug - If you have used it, BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 Edit Bug - If you have used it, BEWARE

Hey all,

Hopefully this information will save some of you the trouble I have been through this week.

I planned for my car to have a speed density tune on Thursday the 5th of October, to Saturday October 7th, at L.A.P.D. The guys at L.A.P.D. were outstanding (I'll save that for another thread). I drove approximately 800 miles from El Paso to L.A. to have the work done, just about 36 hours without sleep. I dropped the car off on Thursday afternoon and picked up a rental car to head to San Diego to spend time with my parents, and other family members. I got a call from Al on Friday stating that my computer was locked and that they were unable to do the tune. I thought that maybe LG had locked it by accident when they did the tune after I had cam, intake, and headers installed this past summer. I called LG and they assured me that they never lock the computer after a tune. At this point my only option was to order a new computer and then have the new tune done. Problem is the earliest I could have a new computer was Tuesday the 10th. I had planned on driving back Monday to be at work Tuesday. This does not seem like a viable option at this point. I would have to miss 2 days of work that I just can't miss.

I did some research on the forum last night and came across this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1400112&page=3

Read posts 60-64 to see that this is a known problem, but I don't think enough people or tuners know about it. If I had known this prior I would have never made the 800 mile trip. A huge waste of time and money. My best option at this point is to buy a new computer the next time I plan on getting a tune.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please let me know.

Matt

Last edited by Viprklr; 10-07-2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:16 AM
SickRick
Drifting

Originally Posted by Viprklr
Hey all,

Hopefully this information will save some of you the trouble I have been through this week.

I planned for my car to have a speed density tune on Thursday the 5th of October, to Saturday October 7th, at L.A.P.D. The guys at L.A.P.D. were outstanding (I'll save that for another thread). I drove approximately 800 miles from El Paso to L.A. to have the work done, just about 36 hours without sleep. I dropped the car off on Thursday afternoon and picked up a rental car to head to San Diego to spend time with my parents, and other family members. I got a call from Al on Friday stating that my computer was locked and that they were unable to do the tune. I thought that maybe LG had locked it by accident when they did the tune after I had cam, intake, and headers installed this past summer. I called LG and they assured me that they never lock the computer after a tune. At this point my only option was to order a new computer and then have the new tune done. Problem is the earliest I could have a new computer was Tuesday the 10th. I had planned on driving back Monday to be at work Tuesday. This does not seem like a viable option at this point. I would have to miss 2 days of work that I just can't miss.

I did some research on the forum last night and came across this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1400112&page=3

Read posts 60-64 to see that this is a known problem, but I don't think enough people or tuners know about it. If I had known this prior I would have never made the 800 mile trip. A huge waste of time and money. My best option at this point is to buy a new computer the next time I plan on getting a tune.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions please let me know.

Matt

LS2Edit, which is right up the street from LAPD, will flash your computer back to GM Stock for $50.00. I would have assumed that LAPD would have known about this option.

Problem is, once LS2Edit write to an ECU, it cannot be written to by another editing program (LAPD uses HPTuners). The computer has to be returned to stock tune (unlocked), and then flashed with a Tech2 & all the GM updates. Even then, some computers STILL can't be written to.

My computer has more miles on it than my car (having made multiple round trips to magnusson - like 4 times). We finally got a NEW one, installed it in the car to write the updates and VIN, then sent it to maggie for the base tune/MAF patch (05 ECU's), THEN tuned it with LS2Edit. Thinking of having my OLD computer sent to LS2Edit for a return-to-normal procedure, and keeping it as a spare in case I want to get my car tuned CORRECTLY (using HPTuners).

LS2Edit turned out to be a problematic DOG. 1st to market, doesn't alway mean BEST...

Rick
Old 10-07-2006, 11:17 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link doesn't work. If you copied & pasted the link from another thread, it won't work. What you have to do is go to the thread itself, then copy from the address bar.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
Link doesn't work. If you copied & pasted the link from another thread, it won't work. What you have to do is go to the thread itself, then copy from the address bar.
Fixed it! Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:25 AM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SickRick
LS2Edit, which is right up the street from LAPD, will flash your computer back to GM Stock for $50.00. I would have assumed that LAPD would have known about this option.
I thought LS2 Edit was located in Andover, MA??? Also, saw an address in New Jersey. I would hope that L.A.P.D. would know if it were right up the street. More info. please.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by Viprklr; 10-07-2006 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:15 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by SickRick

Problem is, once LS2Edit write to an ECU, it cannot be written to by another editing program (LAPD uses HPTuners). The computer has to be returned to stock tune (unlocked), and then flashed with a Tech2 & all the GM updates. Even then, some computers STILL can't be written to.

My computer has more miles on it than my car (having made multiple round trips to magnusson - like 4 times). We finally got a NEW one, installed it in the car to write the updates and VIN, then sent it to maggie for the base tune/MAF patch (05 ECU's), THEN tuned it with LS2Edit. Thinking of having my OLD computer sent to LS2Edit for a return-to-normal procedure, and keeping it as a spare in case I want to get my car tuned CORRECTLY (using HPTuners).

LS2Edit turned out to be a problematic DOG. 1st to market, doesn't alway mean BEST...

Rick
Rick,

We are tied into GM's TIS database and have a Tech II to flash computers back to factory fresh stock, but the PCM wouldn't take the program from us or our local GM dealer as we thought our Tech II wasn't functioning properly which means the PCM has been corrupted and will no longer function normally.

We are well versed in GM's TIS and have done re-flashes ourselves in-house for years now. We tried everything. LS2 edit may have corrupted the computer the last time it was tuned because even if the computer is locked by another tuner, we are still able to flash them back to stock with no problem.

At this point, the PCM MUST be replaced and then tuned. There is no other way at this point.

Hope this helps clarify this. I was fully involved on this deal so I know what we tried and what needs to be done to rectify this for Viprklr.

Shawn
Old 10-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Hey Matt,

Didn't realize that was your blk C6 from Texas at LAPD, I was at the shop just hangin out with the guys yesterday evening. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, let me know if I can be of any help!!! Glad you took my advice, LAPD does great work and Doug is the BOMB, but I'm sure your aware of that by now.

Matt...no wurries on the LAX pickup, myself or one of the guys at LAPD will gladly transport you...I'll make sure of it!
You got my number, let me know when you want to hook up.

Last edited by Brabus2; 10-07-2006 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:31 PM
BAADC6
Pro

I had a computer replaced that was unable to be reflashed......the tune it had was LS2 edit.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:15 PM
SickRick
Drifting

Originally Posted by L.A.P.D.
Rick,

We are tied into GM's TIS database and have a Tech II to flash computers back to factory fresh stock, but the PCM wouldn't take the program from us or our local GM dealer as we thought our Tech II wasn't functioning properly which means the PCM has been corrupted and will no longer function normally.

We are well versed in GM's TIS and have done re-flashes ourselves in-house for years now. We tried everything. LS2 edit may have corrupted the computer the last time it was tuned because even if the computer is locked by another tuner, we are still able to flash them back to stock with no problem.

At this point, the PCM MUST be replaced and then tuned. There is no other way at this point.

Hope this helps clarify this. I was fully involved on this deal so I know what we tried and what needs to be done to rectify this for Viprklr.

Shawn
Wasn't taking a shot at you Shawn, nor was I intimating in any way that you were trying to sell him an ECU un-necessarily. I'm sure you guys know what you're doing. I've never had anything but good experiences with you.

Sometimes LS2Edit craps an ECU up so badly, that there's no choice other than replacing it.

In my case, even after returning to stock, reflashing with a Tech2 - magnusson STILL couldn't write an HPTuners flash to it - so I had to get a new one.

Rick
Old 10-07-2006, 06:56 PM
chempowr
Racer

Do tuners have other reprogramming software options?
Old 10-07-2006, 07:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This is an interesting thread. How much does a new ECU cost and is it ready to install and the C6 run?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VET4LES
This is an interesting thread. How much does a new ECU cost and is it ready to install and the C6 run?
Looks like I will be going this route as well. I am curious as to how muh I will be paying for the new computer. Instead of driving home on Monday I will be flying home and then returning to LA next Saturday.

Richard, thanks again. There are some very generous and super friendly guys out in LA. They really take helping out a fellow forum member seriously. Hopefully one day I can return the favor.

Matt
Old 10-07-2006, 09:51 PM
chempowr
Racer

Viprklr

PM sent
Old 10-07-2006, 10:31 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

SickRick,

I didn't take it in a negative way. Maybe my post sounded like that, but I didn't take it in a negative way and I certainly didn't mean my post to sound like I was angry in anyway. Actually, I was just clarifying what we found and what had to do to get the car running. That's it.

chempowr,

We only use HP Tuner. We don't use LS1 or LS2 edit.

VET4LES,

A PCM is not ready to run when installed. We have to get it going with GM's TIS database and a Tech II. I don't have the cost of a new PCM for a 2006 C6. 2005 and 2006 use different PCMs.

Viprklr,

Don't worry. One of us will get you to and from LAX. I live about 20 minutes away from LAX and can drop you off and pick you up. We will get your car back up and running as long as we get you a new PCM as that is the only fix.

Shawn
Old 10-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem when I had work done at Cartek. Callaway had done some LS-2 edit work on the car then Cartek used HP Tuners to no avail. Needed a new computer.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:14 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This is very good and useful information. I think it needs to be a sticky at the top of this forum or make the C6 scan & tune forum easier to identify(make it a sticky there as well). LS2 edit should be paying the guys affected $50 instead of you having to pay them $50 to fix their screw up.....As somebody planning to purchase a C6 Vert next year and mod it, this just saved me the headache. I'll be using tuners with HPtuner's software.

Todd
Old 10-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of having your customers buy new ECM's couldn't you buy a copy of LS2 Edit and have the stock flash emailed to you from the shop that originally tuned it? This would allow it to be unlocked with your copy of LS2 Edit and the original stock flash.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 Edit Bug - If you have used it, BEWARE

Old 10-08-2006, 01:38 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong, all anyone has to do is if they used some shop to do a tune with LS2edit is have that shop restore stored stock flash for that car flashed back to the ECM.
Then they could go somewhere else that is using a competing tuning product.
This was done to protect the shop's tuning methods for it is well known of competing shops to download someone elses hard work off the ECM and rip off the tune so the only one who has access to a tune done by LS2edit is the owner of who did the tune.

Best case is to own your own LS2edit and even if using a shop for the tune is use your LS2edit and that way you have full control and ownership of the flash in the ECM.
Other tuning products also allow ECM to be locked so it is not just LS2edit and this has existed for years now and nothing new.
BTW as to EPA it is law that GM must lock the ECM and tuning products break that lock/seed or change it.
It should be the tuner you used to put the stock flash back on if that is what you want and not claim the vendor of tuning product pay $50 if the tuner you used refuses to take their locked tune out and the same time they may not want another tuner stealing their work/tune so reason for lock change

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
This is very good and useful information. I think it needs to be a sticky at the top of this forum or make the C6 scan & tune forum easier to identify(make it a sticky there as well). LS2 edit should be paying the guys affected $50 instead of you having to pay them $50 to fix their screw up.....As somebody planning to purchase a C6 Vert next year and mod it, this just saved me the headache. I'll be using tuners with HPtuner's software.

Todd
Old 10-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by boosted_z06
Wrong, all anyone has to do is if they used some shop to do a tune with LS2edit is have that shop restore stored stock flash for that car flashed back to the ECM.
This was done to protect the shop's tuning methods for it is well known of competing shops to download someone elses hard work off the ECM and rip off the tune so the only one who has access to a tune done by LS2edit is the owner of who did the tune.

Best case is to own your own LS2edit and even if using a shop for the tune is use your LS2edit and that way you have full control and ownership of the flash in the ECM.
Other tuning products also allow ECM to be locked so it is not just LS2edit and this has existed for years now and nothing new.
BTW as to EPA it is law that GM must lock the ECM and tuning products break that lock/seed or change it.
It should be the tuner you used to put the stock flash back on if that is what you want and not claim the vendor of tuning product pay $50 if the tuner you used refuses to take their locked tune out and the same time they may not want another tuner stealing their work/tune so reason for lock change
Just to clarify, my computer was corrupted to the point that GM, my original tuner who did the LS2 edit tune, and Carputing would not be able to flash it back to stock. Mine may be an isolated incident that the computer was rendered useless, but I am sure it is not the first. I think you also missed the point that LG stated they DID NOT lock the ECM after the tune. The bug in LS2 edit was responsible for that. See my 1st post and read the link I provided.

I still think having to go back to my original tuner or sending the computer away to have it flashed back to stock is something we should not have to do. LG is 600 miles away from me and it is FAR from convenient to go back just to reset back to stock. How would I drive the car after the reset? It wouldn't run right cosidering the mods I had done. Should I be expected to trailer my car to L.A.P.D.?

Point is...we should not have to go to all of this trouble and extra expense. It ended up costing me $900 more than I had originally expected. $500 for the new computer and $400 for air travel. I don't see Carputing offering to reimburse me because they have an inferior product.

Matt

Last edited by Viprklr; 10-09-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:49 AM
SickRick
Drifting

Originally Posted by boosted_z06

BZZZZT!

Sorry, but in this case it is YOU who are just plain WRONG...

This is not about the locked tune that tuners can put on when they flash the ECU. This is about something that LS2Edit does to ECU's, that corrupts them.

Enough KNOWLEGIBLE folks here (myself included), have gone thru this on thier ECU's to make this a fact, not a rumor, not a tuner trying to protect his work.

Yes, many tuners DO lock ECU's. But when the original tuner, can't return an ECU to stock with LS2Edit and a Tech2 - to the point where it cannot be written to by HPTuners - it's an ISSUE with LS2Edit. Just call Magnusson and ask them how many customer ECU's they can't flash.

I follow your posts, and you have a great deal of knowlege to share. In this particular case, your suppositions are in ERROR...

Rick

Quick Reply: LS2 Edit Bug - If you have used it, BEWARE