C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Clutch Pedal Syndrome and the Splined Shaft?

Old 10-06-2006, 06:47 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Sticky Clutch Pedal Syndrome and the Splined Shaft?

I have been watching this problem for years and also have been a victim of it.. Seems that the Luk Clutch has perfected it...

The more I think about this it is starting to seems to me that the clutch plate is not sliding on the splined shaft properly and freely..

When the engine is at WOT and the clutch is engaged there is a radial torque applied to splined shaft by the plate. If the shaft was less than perfectly clean it is concievable that the this could bind the plate long enough to keep the pedal from popping up..

The ONLY thing that causes the pedal to come up are the springs.. there are a list of resistances along the way..

1. The Resistance on the Splined Shaft
2. The Resistance on the Slave piston
3. The Resistance on the Hydraulic lines
4. The Resistance on the Master Piston
5. The Resistance on the Spring on the Clutch Pedal

If ANY one of those breaks down and adds more resistance.. The entire chain of events ensues...

The shaft is the 1st point of resistance. Imagine if you put a splined shaft into a vise pointing out towards you.. then you slid the clutch plate on to it.. You should be able to slide it in and out with no effort..

Now... Take the plate and twist it in either direction (clockwise or counterclockwise) with all your might.. Now try to slide it in and out...A prefectly clean shaft should see a little more resistance but not enough to bind... A rusty or unclean one could easily cause the resistance enough to keep the plate "Stuck" especially with the the forces created at WOT... they are simply too high to be overcome by the LUK Springs...

I believe this is the Starting culprit in our clutch woes.

Funny how this is not as common a problem with aftermarket clutches..

Oh and for Bob.. (16Again) My response to your immediate reply.. "Insert Razzberry Smilie"

Last edited by chuckster; 10-06-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:14 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

you aint no clutchster . you can weld the friction plate the main shaft and the pedal will return
Old 10-07-2006, 09:32 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by patton
you aint no clutchster . you can weld the friction plate the main shaft and the pedal will return
Hmmm I may have jumped the gun..:o I also left out a binding point between the Plate and the Slave... The springs..

Whatever it is it is induced by the torsional force of WOT.. It never occurs at any other time.. What other components are directly affected by this??

I cannot wait to get my old (Sticking) clutch back after my new install.. I really want to look that thing over..
Old 10-07-2006, 09:41 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

ya still aint no clutchster its CENTRIPETAL .i know what yer thinking [god i hope not] centrifugal.

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky Clutch Pedal Syndrome and the Splined Shaft?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sticky Clutch Pedal Syndrome and the Splined Shaft?