C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fuel Injection Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 11:36 PM
slee36
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Injection Maintenance

As a potential buyer, I'm interested in the fuelies. I'm wondering what the typical issues are with owning one and what the differences between those and a carbeurated car, especially from a maintenance standpoint. Are they harder to adjust/ keep running? If so how and why? So they produce more hp, but what else are the positives and negatives? Originality aside....

Thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

They are terrific, set up correctly they run forever. Great HP and mileage even with short gears. I love mine, wouldn`t have it any other way.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:51 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

BUT, you've got to know the rudiments of how to work on them as people with FI knowledge and experience are few and far between nowdays...

it can be a 'love/hate' relationship; kinda like owning an old Harley....
Bill
Old 10-06-2006, 05:40 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
BUT, you've got to know the rudiments of how to work on them as people with FI knowledge and experience are few and far between nowdays...

it can be a 'love/hate' relationship; kinda like owning an old Harley....
Bill
According to my experience it will only become such a 'love/hate' relationship if you try to fix things yourself because you think you are such a smartass and you have figured it all out by yourself...

Since I got my unit back properly rebuilt and calibrated from a true expert I just love it
Old 10-06-2006, 08:39 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by swissie
According to my experience it will only become such a 'love/hate' relationship if you try to fix things yourself because you think you are such a smartass and you have figured it all out by yourself... thumbs:
i've had FI cars for over 40 years, i know what i'm saying and what i'm talking about. go preach to another choir....
Bill
Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
The Famous
Instructor

I wouldn't trade my FI Unit for anything! I had Frank Antonicelli set up mine three years ago and I have not touched it since! It runs FANTASTIC!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by The Famous
I wouldn't trade my FI Unit for anything!

Bill
Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
i've had FI cars for over 40 years, i know what i'm saying and what i'm talking about. go preach to another choir....
Bill
what makes you think I'm questioning your expertise?? First I was refering to myself and second the guy who started this thread seems to have no knowledge at all
Old 10-06-2006, 12:12 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironcross
They are terrific, set up correctly they run forever. Great HP and mileage even with short gears. I love mine, wouldn`t have it any other way.
I absolutely agree! Of course I've only had mine 35 years
Old 10-06-2006, 12:18 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by swissie
what makes you think I'm questioning your expertise?? First I was refering to myself and second the guy who started this thread seems to have no knowledge at all

i apologize if i misinterpreted your statement; it was not apparent, to me, that you were referring to yourself....

enjoy...
Bill
Old 10-07-2006, 12:29 AM
slee36
Heel & Toe

sorry for any confusion, but i am trying to understand if there are any diffuculties in owning a Fuel Inj C2 that significantly differ from a carbeurated C2. Any stories about fuel injected cars would be helpful....
thanks
Old 10-07-2006, 12:42 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by slee36
... i am trying to understand if there are any diffuculties in owning a Fuel Inj C2 that significantly differ from a carbeurated C2. Any stories about fuel injected cars would be helpful....
thanks
I don't have any fuelies but I've been reading on this forum about problems with hard starting due to today's new fuels.

Here's one thread on the topic
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...920&highlight=
Old 10-07-2006, 12:51 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

sorry for any confusion, but i am trying to understand if there are any diffuculties in owning a Fuel Inj C2 that significantly differ from a carbeurated C2. Any stories about fuel injected cars would be helpful....
thanks

for the most part they will operate trouble free, there are very few items that require maintenance on a routine basis: fuel filter, air filter, check/lubricate injection pump drive cable, etc to name a few. when there are problems, it will be because one of the diaphragms (main metering or power) is leaking (rarely happens) or the shaft seal leaks on the fuel pump (happens occasionally; raw gas leaks out onto the engine, definite fire hazard.... see picture below)

or the distributor shaft seals leak(the distributor gets oil flow from the engine oil gallery to lubricate the injection drive/tach drive gears. happens occasionally from age. leaks out on top of the engine. potential fire hazard).

the biggest potential problem is the injection pump drive cable breaking. it is built like a speedometer cable, but larger in diameter. inevitably it will break because of wear; and when it does, you are stuck. the engine will not run without it, ALWAYS carry a spare cable... ALWAYS.... it is not a part that your local chevrolet dealer or parts store carries, and God help you if you're in Timbuktu without a spare.....
Bill

ps: carry a fire extinguisher too....
Old 10-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default I Started That Thread !

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
I don't have any fuelies but I've been reading on this forum about problems with hard starting due to today's new fuels.

Here's one thread on the topic
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...920&highlight=
That listed only one problem however. The good gas solved it. Maybe another thing though. The more you drive it, the better it runs. In otherwords they were built to drive not to set around like a trophy. A little Gumout every once in a while helps keep it clean. But Gumout does the same for carbs too.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:57 AM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks

Jerry Bramlett, built the one on my 1963 SWC. It is a work or art and a thing of beauty.

He is a master at his art. Check out his web site. Has tons of info.

http://www.jerrybramlett.net/tips.html

I am running regular high test pump fuel in my car and it runs like a champ. The injection woke the car up.

oWEN

Last edited by vintagecorvette; 10-07-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:02 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

thanks

The biggest difficulty I can think of is too resist the tempatation to start screwing with the injector in the event your engine starts running a little strange. This seemed to be the downfall of the original production units and when they got fiddled with too much, they got removed and replaced with a carb. Of course, the owner still had to replace a fuel pump, points or some other expendable item on the engine to get it to run right.

If you buy an FI car, it would be to your advantage to have access to someone who understands the workings of the things. That would include this forum or others, Jerry Bramlett, John De Gregory, Frank Antonicelli or others who work on these units. Most people cannot simply pick up a Rochestor service manual and be qualified to work on the FI units after a quick overview.

On the other hand, I'd say if you acquire a car with an FI unit that isn't worn out, is set up properly with all the right parts you can expect many trouble free driving miles. The throttle response is instant. There should be no flat spots, hesitations or surges. It will seems like a different engine with the FI as compared to a carb.

Compared to todays modern EFI engines, they can be a little fussy to start sometimes but so what? You spend 99.99999999999999 % of your seat time driving the car, not starting it.

The hot start problem with today's gas talked about in the posted thread? I had one spell of maybe three weeks in July when my car wanted to sputter a little on a hot start. Then, I had no more trouble the rest of the summer. It wasn't hot here in July. Got hot in August and I had no problem. Different gas? I have no idea. I buy from whatever pump I'm in front of and it's not racing gas.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Ken Edgar
Intermediate

Default fuel injection

Mine wirks great-- I replaced the rich and lean stop screws with cap screws and a small coil spring . this way you can play with these adjustments to get best idle and high speed performance . If you choose to do this I would suggest you get an exhaust gas temp gauge and keep the temp under 1300 degrees when crusing at 70 or so mph so you dont lean it out too much and melt things like aluminum pistons also always carry a spare drive cable- they dont fail often but, when they do, your are screwed,

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Injection Maintenance

Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Ken Edgar
Mine wirks great-- I replaced the rich and lean stop screws with cap screws and a small coil spring . this way you can play with these adjustments to get best idle and high speed performance . If you choose to do this I would suggest you get an exhaust gas temp gauge and keep the temp under 1300 degrees when crusing at 70 or so mph so you dont lean it out too much and melt things like aluminum pistons also always carry a spare drive cable- they dont fail often but, when they do, your are screwed,

typically you will experience a 'lean surge' when you've got it running too lean on the economy stop. i've always just richened up the economy stop until the surge goes away....
Bill
Old 10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
aaronz28
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

i bought a used one from a guy on this forum.

the car runs much better than the holley did...

2 problems I have is...

my choke doesn't work correctly, so it is a tad rough until it warms up, even in hotter weather.

and the fuel percolation... which isn't a problem if you run high octane racing gas... which these cars really appreciate.

aside from that, i've not had to mess with a thing, and it runs like a raped ape from 1500 rpm up to 7000 rpm... and that is with the stock 30-30 cam, manifolds, 3.70 gears, and a 2.5 stainless chambered exhaust.

throttle response is instantaneous and it pulls you into the seat at any rpm in any gear.

i wouldn't trade for anything but an L88 LOL

A
Old 10-09-2006, 10:40 PM
gofastvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A very big unquestioned or not addressed problem is keeping the unit clean internally to avoid a gas hydraulic condition that will bend rods, and garbages pistons to name a few of the broken parts. There have been other unique unimaginable pieces too. A NOS {laughing gas} electric one wire solenoid deep under the doghouse cut into the spyders gas line helps avoid this problem. The slogan goes like this, "Those that broke one {or two times} and those that are going too".

Quick Reply: Fuel Injection Maintenance