C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Track Results

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Track Results

We've been working w/ APS for a while now on a couple of project cars, with one of them being a 2005 C6 Corvette Convertible LS2/A4. We built this car using their TT System, but implemented a few upgrades of our own design that offers increased engine durability over standard installations, a cleaner (more like ****) O.E.M.-installed appearance using some of our own products we use everyday in our performance upgrades and emission compliance with the use of full, high flow catalysts not present with standard installations. Oversimplified~ Our DTE/APS Twin Turbo Upgrade Packages are entirely complete in scope complete A to Z.

As most probably already know, I was formerly with LPE for a few years- back in the intial R&D days of turbo-charging the C5 Corvette vehicle platform. I had a unique opportunity back then to witness and/or test, in some capacity, what worked and what didn't regarding turbo-charging of this engine, using a very similar overall core turbo system design that is seen as the APS TT System of today. I built 11 of those twin turbo cars back then and the experience gained form that direct, hands-on contact with those cars has been invaluable in building these turbo cars here recently. Building these new C6 Corvette vehicles today with this new APS Twin Turbo System was very familiar to me, based on my prior experience and knowledge gained back then. I've passed along all of my engineering notes to my technicians here I've kept over the years, so they are fully trained now for these installations also.

We're proud to offer our new DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Performance Upgrade Packages!

We completed the car's build and PCM calibration last week and the results were excellent. As true to form for this turbo system design I've had experience with in the past, it performed better than expected in a number of different areas. The instructions were very easily understood and laid out for our technicians to follow. The quality of the various parts components and sub-systems were excellent. The fitment of the kit overall was very nice and finally, the performance/operation of the entire system was flawless and superb.

I'm a M.E. myself by education and I look very close at such things as fitment, function, component quality, etc. more than what most folks would and I can say I'm very impressed with how APS has thought of everything! I'm not just saying that to be nice either, as anyone who knows me well, knows I speak my mind when needed- good or bad. Very nice work from the folks at APS and we think they have hit a homerun here with this system!

*BASIC VEHICLE SPECS*
2005 C6 Corvette Convertible
Yellow w/ black convertible top
2700.0 miles approx.
O.E.M. LS2 engine
O.E.M. 4L60-E 4-speed automatic transmission
APS Twin Turbo System set here @ 9 psi. intake port pressure
O.E.M. suspension
BFG street tires
Random Tech high flow catalysts mated to O.E. 2.5" H-pipe
DTE custom PCM calibration using HPT
DTE Stage II upgrade for this for this specific vehicle model year (see
attached spec sheet for our offered packages)
DTE Stage II C6 Differential w/ DTE differential strut

*POWER RESULTS*
552 RWHP/513 RWTQ on 93 octane pump fuel, though unlocked DTE turbo-specific torque converter, through dual high flow catalysts, mated to the stock 2.5" O.E.M. H-pipe, attached to Magnaflow mufflers- All this tested on our accurate in-ground 248c Dynojet Chassis Dyno. I suspect the torque peak occurred a bit before the converter flash point, hence the peak torque area of the graph not being captured by the dyno pull. The next T.C. we use with
this system will be approx. 200 RPM tighter. (see attached dyno sheet)

~DYNO CELL CONDITIONS
Ambient Air Temp.- 64.05*
Baro Pressure- 29.27 in./Hg.
Water Vapor Humidity- 49%
SAE Correction Factor- 1.00
Rear Tire Pressure- 35 psi
Engine Coolant Temperature- 189*
Run Time- 9:33 am
Run Date- 9-29-06

*PERFORMANCE RESULTS*
Best E.T. of 10.89 @ 129 MPH on Mickey Thompson E.T. Drag Radials at
Indianapolis Raceway Park w/ a fully prepped track. We had to launch the car under the initial boost threshold to obtain any sort of start traction on the tires we were using. In fact, during this 10-second pass, the car broke loose and spun again at the 100 ft mark, even after it was already hooked at the 60 ft mark! Excellent power indeed and pulled like a train all the way to our preset 6800 engine RPM redline. I suspect there is a tenth or two left in the car if full slicks were added to the chassis for traction and the launch RPM was brought higher to the hysteresis of boost. Anyway one cuts it, that's flat-out moving for an every-day driver that gets 26+ MPG highway, drives like a completely stock car in every way and is whisper quiet in operation. If this car pulled up beside you at a stop light, you would not give it a second look, as it's stone-stock quiet, stone-stock smooth and stone stock sounding on mild acceleration- until you mash the throttle!

As stated before~ APS has done a *GREAT* job here with this system and we're looking forward to exploring the limits of it's power output design in the future. If this car's performance is any indication of the future, we're goona have some fun!

BTW- We're using RPM Transmisisons in our Stage II automatic packages and we can't say enough about the product build quality and professional personnel found over there. We thumped this car like it owed us money, pass-after-pass and Rodney & Co. transmissions performed flawlessly...everytime! Props to you folks!

Best Regards,
Phil Rickard
President/Owner
Dynotech Engineering Inc.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
DTE TT 2005-6 C6 VETTE M6.pdf (127.2 KB, 734 views)
DTE TT 2005 C6 VETTE A4.pdf (95.7 KB, 339 views)
DTE TT 2006 C6 VETTE A6.pdf (127.1 KB, 388 views)

Last edited by DTE Powertrain; 10-05-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:33 PM
RWSjr
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WOW, Good stuff Maynard. Does the rear end / axles need upgrading for this power? Again, Nice work.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Forgot that... This car has a DTE Stage II heavy duty C6 Differential w/ our DTE Differential Strut.

It's now updated up there.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:52 PM
bigsamsdad
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Owner's First Impressions

As the owner of this beast, it can be summed up as simply "incredible". As another member said, this is the first mod that has left me completely satisfied.

The twin turbo package truly creates a sleeper Vette that will take any unsuspecting adversary by total surprise. Once we got it to hook well and figured out the proper amount of "squeeze" on the throttle, it took off like it was a jet on steroids. Phil pulled a 1.77 60' time and we ended with the 10.89 ET at nearly 130 mph. The car chirped the tires in second gear and when the converter locked in third, it pulled like a freight train. I had the opportunity to drive the car back to Fort Wayne from Indy and it was simply incredible. With the top down and crusing along at 70, one punch of the throttle and I was instantly at 125 without any effort. The car absolutely moves effortlessly throughout the entire power curve distributing torque and horsepower in an extremely linear fashion. There is absolutely no turbo lag and when I want power, it is there in an instant no matter what speed I'm traveling.

The install:

Phil completed the install in about two weeks and the work of his shop was meticulous. The kit itself fits beautifully and if you didn't know what to look for, you would swear it was a stock setup. Phil's team was well organized, kept in constant communication and Phil personally provided service that was second to none. His attention to detail, knowledge of the right combinations (such as the trans upgrade) and solid experience constantly made me feel at ease. This is my third visit to him for upgrades and each time he has been absolutely amazing. He has spent countless hours perfecting my tunes and treats my car as though it was his pride and joy...a true professional who cares. His wife Jenny is one of the best customer service people around and has picked me up from the airport, hotels and carted me around town many times, as well as kept me informed via email and via phone. Finding a tuner with high end skills and exemplary customer service is rare, and I would trust Dynotech with my vehicle over and over again.

Thanks to APS for delivering an amazing package; thanks to RPM for building a great tranny for me; and thanks to Dynotech for first class service that impressed me every step of the way.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:16 PM
0mystifiedworm
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job Phil. Keep up the good work!!!

Chad
Old 10-05-2006, 09:18 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work guys.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 PM
cajunspeed
Racer

I want to do that to my A6!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:19 PM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Very nice work DTE Bigsamsdad, enjoy the new found power.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Great Packages

Jim
Old 10-06-2006, 06:54 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Top this morning.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:01 AM
cajunspeed
Racer

Can I do those combo's to my A6 since it is a daily driver?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:14 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by cajunspeed
Can I do those combo's to my A6 since it is a daily driver?
Certainly and we have a complete package specifically available for the 2006 C6 Corvette A6 listed up there in the original post. That's the unique interesting and favorable trait of turbocharging- one can own a blisteringly-fast car for a DD that looks like stock, drives like stock, idles like stock, sounds like stock and doesn't give up any fuel economy from stock what-so-ever when built properly. All of APS Turbo Systems for the Corvette platform are designed to be used in everyday driving, as is our specific performance package upgrades we've put together for each model year platform.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
cajunspeed
Racer

Thanks for the INFO! I 'll be in touch.
Kevin
Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
sker66
6th Gear

Default Kit Cost?

OK guys........Sounds great but whats the cost of the Kit?

Whats the cost of the installation and tuning?

Looks like a real professional kit!!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:23 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

All three APS TT packages we currently offer are listed in the very first post of this thread at the bottom in .pdf format.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:58 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

What would a package like that cost commercially for a MZ6 car.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:04 AM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by johnodrake
What would a package like that cost commercially for a MZ6 car.
????

As stated in a post ahead of yours- All of the APS TT packages we offer are listed in the very first post of this thread in .pdf format for you to print and save if you wish.

Get notified of new replies

To DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Track Results

Old 10-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Mystical Musician
Racer

Phil @ DTE

Are there any other options to get some more RWHP out of this package? Anything to get this system to or above 700RWHP with a forged LS2?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:56 PM
DTE Powertrain
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by Mystical Musician
Phil @ DTE

Are there any other options to get some more RWHP out of this package? Anything to get this system to or above 700RWHP with a forged LS2?
There is quite a bit more boost pressure to be dialed up relatively easily while still staying in the turbo's efficiency range, so that will add power. A larger 3" exhaust system would also assist in greater power production with less boost. Plus, a better flowing set of heads or turbo-specific camshaft grinds are always an option also to up the power even further. I'm sure we'll be getting into these APS TT Systems much more aggressively over the coming months to produce even more power in a reliable fashion, so time will tell.

However in these street packages we've listed here that use stock engines, we'll cap the boost pressure off at 9 psi. in an effort to provide our customers with the greatest performance/power increase bang for their buck, but do so in a relaible way to where they won't have to be replacing the engine anytime soon.

That's one of the major attractions to turbo-charging...it *really* gives the owner the greatest potential for increased power and performance in the future (not to mention the least costly) that they can grow into later when they want. Their options are quite wide.

Phil
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
StarJack
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's impressive to say the least! What type of maintenance is required with a twin turbo system and how often is it performed?

Quick Reply: DTE/APS Twin Turbo C6 Corvette Track Results