C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Intake manifold install question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Received 2,264 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Intake manifold install question

I am installing the correct bolts on the intake manifold on my 67 L79. Should I use anything on the threads such as Lock Tite (if so, red or blue?) or maybe even anti seizing compound?

TIA, Joe
Old 10-02-2006, 09:01 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

I am a big believer in antisieze lube, Aluminum or copper, your choice.

Doug
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemac8
I am installing the correct bolts on the intake manifold on my 67 L79. Should I use anything on the threads such as Lock Tite (if so, red or blue?) or maybe even anti seizing compound?
TIA, Joe
Joe: Use a good quality thread sealer. If you don't, oil (from the valley) will wick up the threads and find its way in to the intake ports and bolt heads.
Roy
Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 PM
knight37128
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joemac8

TIA, Joe
Not if you want to get them off again. Not a lot of heat on the intake bolts so anti-seize is not needed.

Just my .02
Old 10-02-2006, 09:36 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by 67-427ci
Joe: Use a good quality thread sealer.......
yup,

i use ARP, but your local parts store will have Permatex.

and don't over torque :-)

Last edited by 66427-450; 10-02-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:13 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

All the intake manifold bolts, except the 4 corner ones, go into the valley between the heads. Oil will migrate up some of those bolt threads onto the manifold. Usually the 2 per side that straddle the carb. You've seen lots of cars that have little puddles of oil there. You solve that problem by coating the intake manifold bolt threads with thread sealer - that white goop in a tube that plumbers use. The threads need to be clean for this to work. The bolts are new, so those threads are clean. The threads in the heads can be cleaned with a solvent (brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits) and Q-tips.

You don't want Loctite since you want to get the bolts out someday. You don't need anti-seize because those bolts go into an oily place.

Although incorrect, consider putting AN washers under the bolts. All the hot rod stores sell them for htis purpose. They'll keep the bolt heads from marking up the manifold. They're small, so they don't stick out from under the bolt head. You can see them, if you look. But they're not prominent.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
All the intake manifold bolts, except the 4 corner ones, go into the valley between the heads. Oil will migrate up some of those bolt threads onto the manifold. Usually the 2 per side that straddle the carb. You've seen lots of cars that have little puddles of oil there. You solve that problem by coating the intake manifold bolt threads with thread sealer - that white goop in a tube that plumbers use. The threads need to be clean for this to work. The bolts are new, so those threads are clean. The threads in the heads can be cleaned with a solvent (brake cleaner, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits) and Q-tips.

You don't want Loctite since you want to get the bolts out someday. You don't need anti-seize because those bolts go into an oily place.

Although incorrect, consider putting AN washers under the bolts. All the hot rod stores sell them for htis purpose. They'll keep the bolt heads from marking up the manifold. They're small, so they don't stick out from under the bolt head. You can see them, if you look. But they're not prominent.
Exactly
Old 10-03-2006, 11:22 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Use a little Ultra Black sealant on the threads to keep engine oil in the lifter galley from migrating up the bolts and puddling on your intake - as noted above. Don't use LocTite. Just torque to spec.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Joemac8
Drifting

Received 2,264 Likes on 437 Posts

I have two questions:

1; What are "AN washers"?

2; Lars, I bought both Permates thread sealer and Ultra Black. Is one better than the other?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

"AN" washers are a miltary spec washers - it stands for "Army-Navy." They're available through McMaster-Carr, but you don't need them with original bolts - just seal the bolt threads. The AN washers fit a little tighter on the bolt than SAE washers (.406" ID versus .438").

I prefer the Ultra Black for both manifold bolts and head bolts (and the ends of the manifold in place of the gaskets) - it works well, and the bolts are easily removable if you have to pull them back out.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:44 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

The AN washers are not for sealing. The thread sealer will do that. The AN washers are to keep the aluminum intake from getting chewed up by the bolts.

They're available at any hot rod store. About $5. McMaster Carr, Fastenal, and Granger would probably have them. Jegs has them -

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10645

Summit does too.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:53 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

with Lars. The correct intake manifold bolts have a round shoulder (like a built-in washer) that keeps it from digging in to the manifold. I used them on my Jerry MacNiesh repaired intake this spring.
Roy

Get notified of new replies

To Intake manifold install question

Quick Reply: Intake manifold install question