C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks old and wheel theft, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2 weeks old and wheel theft, suggestions?

2 WEEKS OLD AND NO WHEELS, SOB'S Katrina Victims in Houston TOOK WHEELS AND TIRES. MY QUESTION, SEE HOW IT IS ON THEIR BLOCKS, NOT ANYWHERE NEAR THE LIFTING POINTS. I need to have my insurance claims assessor verify bent frame, all the stuff in the front. Anyone want to help me with a list? attached are 6 pictures. First time attaching pictures, hope they work

The locking lugs arrived yesterday afternoon. I worked late and couldn't get them from apt manager because they had left for the day
Attached Images       
Old 09-29-2006, 01:39 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,599 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Police Report
Get it on jack stands PDQ
Old 09-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

(1) DON'T, repeat, DON'T have it checked for bent frame. If you do, CarFax will report it as "possible frame damage" and resale opportunities and value will suffer, even if it checks out ok. Believe me on this, I know. It is extremely unlikely the frame could have been bent.

(2) The plastic rocker panels are probably cracked, check those for sure.

Just curious, what kind of wheels did you have, and what part of town was it parked in?
Old 09-29-2006, 01:43 PM
johnnybegood
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame

I can guarantee you that your frame is not bent.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:44 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

What a bummer! I know exactly how you feel. In 1996 a couple of punks tried to steal my 1970. They couldn't get into the car and got frustrated. They gave up and dragged a cinderblock right down the side.

I was just mortified. You will get through this. Remember, it is just a car.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Dan C4-C6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

That is just terrible! If I ever were to see somebody vandalizing/trying steal my car, or parts from it; I think I would kill them. If I was you though I would take as many pics as possible maybe even a video recording for the insurance/police, and then jack it up properly ASAP!
Old 09-29-2006, 02:00 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 573 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnybegood
I can guarantee you that your frame is not bent.
DITTO.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:05 PM
DigitalGriffin
Pro

The frame should be OK. The rocker panels however are another story.

Sorry for your wheel loss. Could be a good time to upgrade to some custom wheels though. Maybe Z06 Reps from WCC.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:06 PM
aggie88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettealot
2 WEEKS OLD AND NO WHEELS, SOB'S Katrina Victims in Houston TOOK WHEELS AND TIRES. MY QUESTION, SEE HOW IT IS ON THEIR BLOCKS, NOT ANYWHERE NEAR THE LIFTING POINTS. I need to have my insurance claims assessor verify bent frame, all the stuff in the front. Anyone want to help me with a list? attached are 6 pictures. First time attaching pictures, hope they work

The locking lugs arrived yesterday afternoon. I worked late and couldn't get them from apt manager because they had left for the day
This really bites the big hairy wet one.
Don't tell me you are in SW Houston? You know our fearless Police Chief says its not Katrina "evacuees" causing all these problems.

My 05 came with the locks from the dealer, no extra charge. You know the sad thing is that factory rims sell for $250 a set here on the forum.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:07 PM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep an eye out on ebay. They may be listed on there already.

I guess they didn't need or already had the lugnuts. Fingerprints???

Wheel locks or no wheel locks?

Sorry to see this happen, hang in there.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Seeing those pics make my blood boil.

I live in Houston too, and agree with any F-ING Katrina statements. What part of town are you in, and why isn't that car in a garage?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:20 PM
RAP
Pro

OK

1st: Sorry to hear about your car and hope everything turns out ok with getting it back to new condition.

2nd: How do we know this was done by a Katrina victem? Did they leave a note? That may be helpful for the police in trying to track them down. It would seem more likely to me that it was a local that would know better where to sell them off. Were you there to se them? It just doesn't seem right to genralize people with such prejudice.

I am sure you had crime in your part of the world before Katrina.

You have a right to be mad. But unless you know for sure, it just seems wrong to me to blame people without evidence.

Once again, sorry for the troubles you are having.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This is just . I hope your insurance doesn't go up as a result of this. On the bright side, aren't GM rotors beautiful.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:25 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP
OK

1st: Sorry to hear about your car and hope everything turns out ok with getting it back to new condition.

2nd: How do we know this was done by a Katrina victem? Did they leave a note? That may be helpful for the police in trying to track them down. It would seem more likely to me that it was a local that would know better where to sell them off. Were you there to se them? It just doesn't seem right to genralize people with such prejudice.

You have a right to be mad. But unless you know for sure, it just seems wrong to me to blame people without evidence.

Do you live in Houston? Here are some facts for you. The crime rate here more than doubled shortly after the period where the Katrina evacuees were moved to Houston. Yes, Houston had crime before, but the crime rate was pretty level and jumped sharply up after Katrina, and has remained high since then.

I know many people who have had their houses broken into, cars stolen, etc... that lived in neighborhoods without any crime for 20 years. Several of the HPD officers I know have also stated that most of the people they caught weren't from Houston.

basically, we got a lot of the trash from New Orleans. Over 450,000 N.O. residents didn't move back.

Someone tried to steal my Dodge truck about a month ago, in a nice part of town. They got in, but couldn't get it started.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:26 PM
RAP
Pro

OK

Old 09-29-2006, 02:26 PM
GOOG's C6
Instructor

AIN'T that a bitch
Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Look on the brightside........

Gm factory wheels are around $700 to $800 a piece, plus tires and sensors. With the money you hopefully get from Insurance you can get a nice set of CCW or Iforged wheels and tires with the check they send you.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 weeks old and wheel theft, suggestions?

Old 09-29-2006, 02:31 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Sorry to hear about your loss

Dallas is suffering from the increased crime rate from these fugitives as well
Old 09-29-2006, 02:39 PM
PolishDude
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

your frame is not bent, that sucks i have to order lockable lug nuts asap, dont want my iforged stolen
Old 09-29-2006, 02:42 PM
talldude67
Pro

Default Lost Wheels....

WERE THEY CHROME'S? I WOULD MAKE PLANS TO MOVE WHEN THIS IS SETTLED, VETTE SHOULDN'T BE IN A CAR PORT...ugh! MITE HAVE KEPT THE FRONT ONES IF THE S WHEEL WAS ALL THE WAY RT or LT. DOSEN'T VETTE HAVE A MOTION ALARM SYS?? BEST of LUCK THERE

Quick Reply: 2 weeks old and wheel theft, suggestions?