C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I need some convincing (re: wire harness)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 03:28 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need some convincing (re: wire harness)

I have reached a point...I know I should probably do it, but I am tired of spending money. The wiring was semi-servicable before, but it had a bunch of crimp connectors, splices, corroded leads at the fuse box, hot wires with exposed insulation, all that jazz. The taillights/brake lights worked intermittently, making it so that others couldn't always see me at night. It will cost around $400 for a new dash harness to replace the existing rat's nest and $200 for a rear harness, but I am afraid that once I get in there, it will take forever to straighten everything out. Please tell me it is easy and it will take no time at all, it will save my 65 from electrical fires, I'll be SO glad that I did it while it was apart, the wife will give me more lovin', all that stuff. Embellish if you need to. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

someone please post a picture of a burned up Corvette. That should do the trick.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline-guy
it will save my 65 from electrical fires
There's all the reason you need right there.

~600 for wiring plus time in replacing vs. fire which destroys the car?

You might want to replace ALL the wiring at once, too (engine and forward lighting harness, etc.) for peace of mind.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Akkkkk.

Last edited by Plastic Pig; 09-28-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:00 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just Do IT! It is not that big of a job. A saturday afternoon. You already have the cluster out, now pull the steering column, remove the pedal assembly (it makes it easier to access everything and you can check it for cracked stuff and lubricate it). It comes out with 2 bolts under the dash and 4 nuts under the hood. A 10 minute job. Now just start unplugging connectors, watch how the harness lays relative to the wiring that goes through the firewall for the wiper motor - you will need to remove the plastic connectors from the wire before you feed them through the firewall-take notes!. Now is the time to replace all the bulbs also. There are a lot of choices now for brighter bulbs. With new wiring and new bulbs you will be wearing sunglasses at night.
Good luck.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:08 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
Just Do IT! It is not that big of a job. A saturday afternoon. You already have the cluster out, now pull the steering column, remove the pedal assembly (it makes it easier to access everything and you can check it for cracked stuff and lubricate it). It comes out with 2 bolts under the dash and 4 nuts under the hood. A 10 minute job. Now just start unplugging connectors, watch how the harness lays relative to the wiring that goes through the firewall for the wiper motor - you will need to remove the plastic connectors from the wire before you feed them through the firewall-take notes!. Now is the time to replace all the bulbs also. There are a lot of choices now for brighter bulbs. With new wiring and new bulbs you will be wearing sunglasses at night.
Good luck.
That's the stuff I'm talkin' about. I like to hear "10 minute job". It at least gets me started. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

Duntov....my eyes....
Old 09-28-2006, 04:09 PM
adrenaline-guy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
Akkkkk.

Dang.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline-guy
That's the stuff I'm talkin' about. I like to hear "10 minute job". It at least gets me started. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
ok, to be honest maybe not a ten mintue job, but with your dash out already, perhaps . . . . (pull the glove box too for the job, gives good access to the center switches and clock)

as for the pics, worth a thousand words - Bob always comes through with the pics (and the speeling crits too)

Last edited by ctjackster; 09-28-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Tossin
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think kenEDMUNDS was referring to 10 minutes being removing the pedal assembly, not the entire job of replacing a harness.

Originally Posted by kenEDMUNDS
A saturday afternoon.
Regardless, does it matter if it takes 10 minutes or two weekends as long as you're making your car safer?
Old 09-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Harps
Duntov....my eyes....
First midyear is a wiring fire.

According to the story that burned to the ground midyear fire was the work of an angry wife.

Moral of the story, change your wiring harness and be nice to your wife.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:16 PM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

That sight brings a tear to my eyes, reminds me of my car 3 years ago down to bare glass, pads out, door panels out, headliner out. Now it is better than the day GM finished it.
You only want to do this once, so do it right, for $400, it's something that will save this job from ever being done again and a possible car fire the only worse thing that could happen.

Last edited by tentuna; 11-15-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:18 PM
jackhays
Racer

Default I did it

I had the same issue on my 65 coupe and finally pulled the trigger and ordered all new harnesses.
I found several issues with my old harness when I pulled them out that I did not expect.
Peace of mind.
BTW, when I started the taillight harness I thought it was all out back. Not true. The cable runs through the rear bulkhead and all the way to the dash harness and plugs together clipped to the cross brace. Also has the antenna plug.
Get a new rear grommet while your at it. Forget the fuse seal as it comes on the harness already.
When I unplugged the engine and headlight harness to install the dash harness I was glad I bought them all as the conectors were green and cruddy inside.
All harnesses cost me about $800.00 but worth it IMHO. I'd do it again.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

I did my engine and interior harness' recently, and it really wasn't all that bad. For me, it was the piece of mind to get it done and feel safe about driving the car that motivated me to get started.

That, and my buddy Youwish (Dave) egging me on to do it.

I did it the hard way too. I didn't pull anything but the cluster, left the steering, pedals, seats, floormats, etc. all in place. Atleast you have more room to lay down and work.

Here's what mine looked like in middle of the replacement:

Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Corbrastang
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to spend money on one thing i would recomend at the very least replacing the dash harness. both my 65 and my fathers 64 dash harness caught fire. Very melted-we got lucky that it didnt spread. After that, 800 bucks didnt seam like a whole lot for new wiring.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:45 PM
kenEDMUNDS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tossin
I think kenEDMUNDS was referring to 10 minutes being removing the pedal assembly, not the entire job of replacing a harness.

Regardless, does it matter if it takes 10 minutes or two weekends as long as you're making your car safer?
YEs-ten minutes for the pedal assembly!!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Letric Limited has pretty much all wiring for about $900:
http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm

Mid page they also tell you why.

Consider DocRebuild harness guide, easy color diagram:
http://docrebuild.com/oosoez.html

You are looking at 2-3 days easy for all wires. Likely some time to debug things that are not working after but once you get everything working, you will be glad you did it. Looks like you are halkf way there with the cluster out already.

Get notified of new replies

To I need some convincing (re: wire harness)

Old 09-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it ! It's only a few connections, everything works afterwards and its a good piece of mind. Several of us have replaced ours. If you have any questions, just post 'em. I like the shop manual picture of the instrument cluster and wiring harness. But, there are some VERY nice pictures on this forum of the cluster. Save your old harness, people need bits/pieces every now and then off of one.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 PM
6T7L71CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 382 Likes on 251 Posts

Default Go for it!

I just got mine back on the road after a complete LL harness and lightbulb set. I got tied up in a few while I'm at its. Funny thing, the car starts better! Take digital pictures of everything BEFORE you take it apart.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=SMOKE
Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

The job is a serious pain in the a$$. It will take you much longer than you think. While you are at it, do ALL the wires. Tell the wife that you are doing it out of concern for her safety, and she will "love you long time"!

Quick Reply: I need some convincing (re: wire harness)