Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Clutch stuck engaged, will not let go.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch stuck engaged, will not let go.

my friend's 06 Z06 had its clutch pedal stuck to the floor last night. when he pressed the pedal in, it would not come back up. he worked his foot under the pedal and was able to bring it back up, however, the clutch remained engaged and would not let go.

he shut the car off, was uble to put it in 3rd and wobble home. he is going to call one of the local dealers here to come flat bed it to them.

i will let you guys know what happens. meanwhile, any ideas what could have gone wrong.

one thing i forgot to ask him was how he was driving before the clutch problem. but i think he was simply on his normal drive home

Last edited by 427Z; 09-26-2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnDFW
my friend's 06 Z06 had its clutch pedal stuck to the floor last night. when he pressed the pedal in, it would not come back up. he worked his foot under the pedal and was able to bring it back up, however, the clutch remained engaged and would not let go.

he shut the car off, was uble to put it in 3rd and wobble home. he is going to call one of the local dealers here to come flat bed it to them.

i will let you guys know what happens. meanwhile, any ideas what could have gone wrong.

one thing i forgot to ask him was how he was driving before the clutch problem. but i think he was simply on his normal drive home
Is he a CF member?

The behavior he noted likely derives from nasty-azzed clutch fluid which was subjected to successive high-rpm shifts. Happens. I'd suggest he inspect the clutch master cylinder reservoir and report what he sees.

Dealer will likely want to follow the Chevy protocol of swapping out all the clutch parts. If/when they do that, he needs to ensure they include a new master cylinder and slave too.

Better still, I'd personally refrain from changing the clutch unless cleaning up the clutch fluid doesn't resolve the issue. I say that because there is always risk of post-install drive-train vibrations.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 09-26-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

no, he is not a forum member. some pics of his red Z06 are in the pic sticky that i posted way back when i got to test drive it.

he is not a forum type car nut and he is not the type to get his hands dirty checking for clutch problems. i only found out when he asked me where he should have his car serviced.

i know about the pedal stuck on the floor problem but i have never heard of one not letting go. it may be several days before i know what happens but thought to post here to see if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Andi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine originally started occasionally sticking to the floor only at high RPMs. I took it in I don't remember how many times with no resolution.

Then one day it just stuck to the floor fully engaged like your friend's did and was never driveable again. They didn't know what was wrong; they replaced the whole clutch system, from cylinders to flywheel to clutch to pressure plate.

Mine was in the VIN range of cars with bad clutches. Chevy assured me over and over before this happened that mine wasn't recalled and that my clutch was fine.

...but then they told me the same about the roof......

Andi
Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Congaman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experienced the same thing during my week on the Nurburg Ring.....I pumped the clutch pedal a few times and could feel the smell of an overheated clutch.....after this time I had no more problem
Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Intimidator3
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Is he a CF member?

The behavior he noted likely derives from nasty-azzed clutch fluid which was subjected to successive high-rpm shifts. Happens. I'd suggest he inspect the clutch master cylinder reservoir and report what he sees.

Dealer will likely want to follow the Chevy protocol of swapping out all the clutch parts. If/when they do that, he needs to ensure they include a new master cylinder and slave too.

Better still, I'd personally refrain from changing the clutch unless cleaning up the clutch fluid doesn't resolve the issue. I say that because there is always risk of post-install drive-train vibrations.

Ranger
I had the same problem with my C5 a few months ago and that is what the dealer did.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:40 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ALLEYNEC5
I had the same problem with my C5 a few months ago and that is what the dealer did.
the same problem as in the pedal on the floor thing or the will not disengage part?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Andi
Mine originally started occasionally sticking to the floor only at high RPMs. I took it in I don't remember how many times with no resolution.

Then one day it just stuck to the floor fully engaged like your friend's did and was never driveable again. They didn't know what was wrong; they replaced the whole clutch system, from cylinders to flywheel to clutch to pressure plate.

Mine was in the VIN range of cars with bad clutches. Chevy assured me over and over before this happened that mine wasn't recalled and that my clutch was fine.

...but then they told me the same about the roof......

Andi
hmmm....this sounds interesting. so there are others with the same experience..
Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Same thing happened to a friend of mine who converted his C6 vert into a Z06 complete with LS7. It was all over this forum. In his case, the clutch slave failed. They replaced that part and all was well.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Intimidator3
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the same problem as in the pedal on the floor thing or the will not disengage part?
I was a combination of both. But mostly the car would not go into gear AT ALL
Old 10-14-2006, 03:22 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

guys we need your help once more.

getting ready to take the car to the dealer but the battery is dead and we dont know how to open the door.

i thought there was a lock right above the license plate that can be used to open the hatch like the coupe has. well, there is a hole there on the C6Z but its plugged up with a rubber grommet. pulled the grommet and there was just a hole.

so... anyone know what the procedure is to get the door opened if the battery is dead?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLEYNEC5
ALLYNEC5,
Nice avitar
Old 10-14-2006, 04:08 PM
TOVetteFan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every C6 has the key hole, it is about 1 1/2 inches to the right of the cutout for the plate light. There is a rubber grommet just right of the keyhole, wonder if you were looking the wrong spot. If not, you are somewhat screwed.... and your friends car has been tampered with...
Old 10-14-2006, 05:14 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

so... anyone know what the procedure is to get the door opened if the battery is dead?
From the owners manual:

"If your vehicle has lost battery power, open the
hatch/trunk using the vehicle key. The key lock cylinder
is located on the rear of the hatch/trunk lid above the
license plate. Turn the vehicle key clockwise in the lock."
Old 10-14-2006, 05:32 PM
427Z
Le Mans Master

i wasnt the one to actually look under there. he told me about the problem and i told him where the key hole was. he called me back to tell me that the hole didnt have a lock inside of it. i thought that perhaps for weight savings or whatever reason, the c6z had the lock deleted.

i will tell him to look again but cant figure how he could have missed it if it was there. maybe i have to go over there myself...thanks for the info
Old 10-14-2006, 06:16 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no flames please I am just really curious

I am not trying to be negative but simply to ask a question that I think needs asking: Everyone says that the Z06 offers fantastic bang for the buck in super car performance.

My question is how can this be when the car has such an obviously inadequate clutch? Furthermore, as with the C6, is it not poorly engineered as well if it needs the hydraulic fluid changes frequently?

Is the Z06 clutch the same as the C6? If so how could that possibly be? I have had no clutch problems myself but read of plenty in the manual C6 that seem identical to those reported here in the Z06.

I don't get how a car with a clutch that's so inferior can be called a good buy for the money? Actually, such statements seem like a joke when you read of experiences like this one. It's scary when you think about all that power and facing the unpredictable prospect of the clutch sticking in the engaged position.

just my opinions. how are viper clutches by comparison?

Is the Z06 really worth the money people are paying only to have this kind of thing happen?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I am not trying to be negative but simply to ask a question that I think needs asking: Everyone says that the Z06 offers fantastic bang for the buck in super car performance.

My question is how can this be when the car has such an obviously inadequate clutch? Furthermore, as with the C6, is it not poorly engineered as well if it needs the hydraulic fluid changes frequently?

Is the Z06 clutch the same as the C6? If so how could that possibly be? I have had no clutch problems myself but read of plenty in the manual C6 that seem identical to those reported here in the Z06.

I don't get how a car with a clutch that's so inferior can be called a good buy for the money? Actually, such statements seem like a joke when you read of experiences like this one. It's scary when you think about all that power and facing the unpredictable prospect of the clutch sticking in the engaged position.

just my opinions. how are viper clutches by comparison?

Is the Z06 really worth the money people are paying only to have this kind of thing happen?
Good question and here is my humble opinion. I think GM designed this car to be a beast on a road course and it is. It seems most the problems we have had with this car is at the drag strip. The weak gripping clutch is probably not a issue at a road track. Torque management issues probably isn't either. The cv joints that break under a hard 1-2 shift at the drag strip shouldn't at a road course because you don't need to shift that violently. They designed the car to last under road course conditions but it seems the stresses at the drag strip where not considered as much.....just my opinion And yes, it's worth every dime!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch stuck engaged, will not let go.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:36 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

This problem has nothing to do with overheating the clutch. I had the same thing happen to me. The clutch pedal was stuck to the floor with the clutch still engaged and in gear running... It was as if there was no fluid in the clutch, but it was full. My fluid wasnt nasty dirty, car had just over 1k on it at the time.... It is a bad master cylinder...The dealer replaced the master cylinder and everything was fine. BUT it took them 3 days to figure it out and complete that.. not to mention they kept it longer to glue the roof cause they cant multi task!!! But it is fixed!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 06:53 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem last night when I went to the strip. I went to do my burnout and when I went to push my clutch in after the burnout it stayed down. I pumped it a few times and it finally represurized. I made the run but you could smell clutch all over the place. I made 3 more runs and you could smell clutch on every run.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:59 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 355Spider
I had the same problem last night when I went to the strip. I went to do my burnout and when I went to push my clutch in after the burnout it stayed down. I pumped it a few times and it finally represurized. I made the run but you could smell clutch all over the place. I made 3 more runs and you could smell clutch on every run.
I think this is a different issue... I know mine was.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch stuck engaged, will not let go.