C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers w/ AIR Ports

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:57 PM
PairOf80s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers w/ AIR Ports

I've searched through the site but I couldn't find an answer to my question. I'm looking for two sets of headers.

One set is for an 80 Vette with the original L82 motor and TH350 transmission. They must have AIR ports. I will be running true duals with 2.5 inch pipes.

The second set is for an 80 Vette that will have a 350 crate motor with aluminum D port heads and angle spark plugs. This car has the original 4-speed manual transmission. It too needs the AIR ports and will be running true duals with 2.5 inch pipes.

I'm looking for the best of all worlds, namely good quality, easy installation, coated, and reasonably priced.

Does anybody have any good suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-26-2006, 12:28 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm intersted in knowing also. I've looked through every site I can think of, and still can't find anything
It's possible to buy the tubes and weld them in, but that would not be legal in our state
I'm helping another Forum member put a motor together for his 78, soon as he gets well from his bike accident(Johnny, you still with us???) and finding the right headers are a major point of contention to get this thing to breath right
Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 AM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hedman p/n 66301 (HTC coated header) $511 (Jegs under p/n 500-66301)

Hedman p/n 61308 (Hedman Elite) $469 (jegs under p/n 500-61308)

Both of the above apply to your first condition and not the second.

I use the HTC coated header, and have had no issues with it.

I find the price excessive though and got mine used through E-bay for about $100
Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Headman headers (Jet Hot coated) with A.I.R. on my '80. They are part #66301 or #68301 painted (as per hedman.com)
http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedders/....html#corvette

Summit sells them for ~$510.00

The overall fitment seems to be pretty good.
The flanges are a bit on the thin side.
The exhaust ports on my Trick Flow heads are "D" port and the headers are round port. I spent a lot of time and money trying to find a gasket that would seal this "D" port + "O" port mismatch. The only one that worked with this combination is Percy's Dead Soft Aluminum header gaskets.

Last edited by MIKER; 09-26-2006 at 10:21 AM. Reason: fauxrs beat me to the punch! Sorry for the duplicate info.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:38 PM
CheckerVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stansheaders.com
They make what ever is required and have a lot of them ready to go in stock. Stainless steeel option is made to order and costs big bucks $715. At $426.50 The big big advantage is they are the tri wye design which works very much better than any 4 into one collector which was never intended for rpm's below about 4500.
When I ordered mine just the other day one of the first questions was if I had air injection or not. I say not, she say they then they can ship same day.

So unless you think you are going to be running 4.56 or lower gears on the highway and your motor is going to spend most of it's time below 4500 rpm look on the web stansheaders decide weather you want nickel chrome or stainless steel the model # is 109Y 1968-1982 corvette

You will be amazed at how the simple triple wye pipe header design works on a street motor. Quite a few years ago tri wyes were made by Hooker and Doug Thorley thank goodness StanHeaders has filled the void!
Russell in Canada
75 Checker Vette

Get notified of new replies

To Headers w/ AIR Ports

Quick Reply: Headers w/ AIR Ports