C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal stays on floor???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:28 PM
burnin red
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal stays on floor???

after I drive the car hard through first and second gear by the time I get to third the clutch pedal is almost on the floor, like it does not come back up where it should, I have to put my foot under it and pull it up then pump it, then it just keeps doing it unless I drive it really easy?
why is it doing this, the clutch does not slip and it works right off the floor, like it should?
if you know why it does this how do I fix it?
what parts do I need to buy and how do install them please help and thanks in advance you someone always knows what to do

Last edited by burnin red; 09-25-2006 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a great subject and there are a million posts associated with this phenomenum. It is not known at this time but there are many theories from GM installed restrictions in the Master/Slave hydraulics to boiling clutch fluid.

Start here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=clutch+pedal

Ranger has the best posts realtive to preventative maintenance, but usually when you are at the point of asking this question, it is too late. Replacing the Slave is a RPITA as you have to drop the Exhaust, Tunnel Plate and Torque Tube.

Read on and good luck.

Ed
Old 09-25-2006, 11:33 PM
burnin red
Pro

thanks Ed, will try that over and over tomorrow
Old 09-26-2006, 08:46 AM
willyfastz
Pro

Best way to solve your problem is to just replace your clutch. May sound drastic but it's true, you will spend far less if you just go ahead and replace it with a good aftermarket setup. I'm guessing you have a stock or LS7 clutch to be asking this question.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:53 AM
DRR
Burning Brakes

And when you do the clutch replacement install a remote bleeder and use it once a month if you drive the car hard. Your wallet will thank you.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

.and check all lines for restrictors. choose after market clutch with care many chatter and/or grab. how many miles on clutch? sounds like ya drive hard. where does it start to grab off the floor when it does work right? do ya change fluid
Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 AM
burnin red
Pro

Originally Posted by patton
.and check all lines for restrictors. choose after market clutch with care many chatter and/or grab. how many miles on clutch? sounds like ya drive hard. where does it start to grab off the floor when it does work right? do ya change fluid

it has a luk clutch in it with maybe 15k on it and no I had not changed the fluid untill recently, and have done it a half a dozen times now. still is laying on floor. do I need a new slave cylinder? the clutch does not slip and works right off the floor, thanks ????????????
Old 09-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by burnin red
it has a luk clutch in it with maybe 15k on it and no I had not changed the fluid untill recently, and have done it a half a dozen times now. still is laying on floor. do I need a new slave cylinder? the clutch does not slip and works right off the floor, thanks ????????????
Your PM box is full. So my response bounced.

Have you been pumping the pedal 10 times between changes? And is the fluid completely clear after a pedal hang event?

Ranger
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 AM
burnin red
Pro

Originally Posted by Ranger
Your PM box is full. So my response bounced.

Have you been pumping the pedal 10 times between changes? And is the fluid completely clear after a pedal hang event?

Ranger

pm box cleaned now sorry, yes pumping and driving between changes am I suppose to pump 10 times with lid on or off, car running or not running,,
fluid is still dirty not completly clean, thanks Kerry
Old 09-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by burnin red
..yes pumping and driving between changes am I suppose to pump 10 times with lid on or off, car running or not running, fluid is still dirty not completly clean, thanks Kerry
Given the vibration risks of a clutch swap, I'd surely recommend that you follow the protocol I suggested unitl the fluid stays clear and clean.

You obviously have a large build-up of crud in the hydraulics. That particulate material traps air and interrupts the smooth operation of the hydraulics.

And yes, change the fluid in the reservoir; replace the cap. Pump the pedal 10 times with the engine off. Then inspect the fluid; if it's not pristinely clean and clear. Repeat.

The alternative is spending $1200-$1800 for a new clutch and installation and accepting the risk of post-install issues.

That's why I recommend following the clutch fluid swap protocol from the time of delivery. That's what I've done on my last two Z06s and have not suffered any pedal woes through nearly 400 passes on those two cars.

Ranger
Old 09-29-2006, 02:16 AM
dsven8818
Intermediate

replace it with a Spec clutch. very affordable and great quality
Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Could be the bearing or It just needs to be adjusted, either way you should have that looked at asap.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:50 PM
willyfastz
Pro

If you have a Luk clutch just go ahead and order a new clutch and slave cylinder.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger

The alternative is spending $1200-$1800 for a new clutch and installation and accepting the risk of post-install issues.
Ranger
Wow you guys are getting SCREWED on labor or paying way too much for a clutch.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dsven8818
replace it with a Spec clutch. very affordable and great quality
You must have gotten the one good one out of 1000, if you want to argue do a search.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

change the clutch and replace the slave while it is apart. Or you can spend money on a clutch pedal stop, move your seat back some, change the fluid every week, remove the pedal spring, cross your fingers, and still have it stick on the floor.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 PM
willyfastz
Pro

Originally Posted by Blue02ws6
You must have gotten the one good one out of 1000, if you want to argue do a search.
We install them all the time and haven't had a minutes trouble from any of them. For the money you wont find a better clutch. I know there well be a 1000 post and links from that sentence probably.

Get notified of new replies

To clutch pedal stays on floor???

Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Blue02ws6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by willyfastz
We install them all the time and haven't had a minutes trouble from any of them. For the money you wont find a better clutch. I know there well be a 1000 post and links from that sentence probably.
Well I have heard that the stage 1 and 2 do a lot better than the higher lvl clutches, but I usually don't even think about these weaker clutches. I have never kept a car stock.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:52 PM
willyfastz
Pro

I've been recomending the 3+ it has a higher hp rating than the 3 and has better drivablity as well. I put a Textralia and a 3+ in two vett's in the same week. I had both cars here at the same time and drove them both back to back. IMO if you didn't know which had what you wouldn't have known they weren't the same clutches.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:12 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default clutch

I had some issues with a stuck hyd. clutch before, and rebuilding the clutch master cyl. always fixed it up.
since the clutch master is only pushing fluid, one side of the piston builds high pressure compared to the at rest position. fluid leaked past the piston cup, and applied equal force to the back side, locking the piston in a clutch disengaged position, unable to release the pressure on the backside of the piston. ie: pedal stuck to the floor

in those three cases, there was still some residual pressure to the slave cyl. when I removed the line to the slave cylinder.

just my 2c worth

Quick Reply: clutch pedal stays on floor???