C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Offset trailing arms nd 17 x 8 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:16 PM
theybot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Offset trailing arms nd 17 x 8 wheels

I've read a lot on here about not being able to run a sway bar with offset trailing arms, so I'm wondering if any one has heard of a way to modify a bar so it fits or if there is a company that makes a bar that would fit with offset trailing arms.
Or is there any one on the forum running 17 X 8 wheels without offset arms?
Toby
Old 09-19-2006, 08:43 PM
NHARRISON
Advanced

Default Wheels

I am just completing a frame off on my 67 and I have used all Van Steel components with offset trailing arms and composite spring. I have just installed my new wheels and they are 17x7 with 4 1/2" backspace. The tire size is 225/50/17 Goodyear RSA tires and they just clear the sway bar. If you want wider wheels you will have to eliminate the sway bar which is not a big issue if you have a small block and shorten the spring or go to 18" wheels. The setup I have looks great with the 50 profile.

Originally Posted by theybot
I've read a lot on here about not being able to run a sway bar with offset trailing arms, so I'm wondering if any one has heard of a way to modify a bar so it fits or if there is a company that makes a bar that would fit with offset trailing arms.
Or is there any one on the forum running 17 X 8 wheels without offset arms?
Toby
Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 AM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

On our 67 I used the Performance Plus package from Vette Brakes and the off-set trailing arms. I had 17 x 8" rear wheels (4 3/4" backspacing) and had no problem with fit with respect to the trailing arms or wheels. Because I lowered the car quite a bit I did find a clearance problem where the inside of the sway bar would rub against the frame rails slightly but that was easily solved by flattening the inside of the sway bar some.

Hope that helps.

Rich Lagasse
Old 09-21-2006, 11:56 AM
theybot
Racer

Originally Posted by richscorvettes
On our 67 I used the Performance Plus package from Vette Brakes and the off-set trailing arms. I had 17 x 8" rear wheels (4 3/4" backspacing) and had no problem with fit with respect to the trailing arms or wheels. Because I lowered the car quite a bit I did find a clearance problem where the inside of the sway bar would rub against the frame rails slightly but that was easily solved by flattening the inside of the sway bar some.

Hope that helps.

Rich Lagasse

Do you think you could take some pics of the clearance between the inner fender lip and the tire and also where the bar would have hit. What size rubber do you run in the back?
I always thought it was the tire that hit the sway bar thus preventing using it. Do you think it is because your running 4 3/4 back spacing? I think most of the people I've heard run 8 inch wheels were running 5.5 backspacing.
Thanks for the info and any help this is very useful info tome and much cheaper then buying and returning parts.

Thanks
Toby
Old 09-21-2006, 12:06 PM
vetarun
Racer

Just remember, when you order a set of custom backspaced rims that they are yours and non refundable.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Cris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running 17" wheels with 5" backspacing. The only modification to the trailing arm is the parking brake bracket has been moved to the top of the arm. The stock sway bar fits fine.

I might be able to get 5.5" backspacing with offset arms in the rear, but I am maxed out in the front at 5" backspacing. I wanted to run the same wheels front and rear so I can rotate tires.

The wheels are 17"x11" with 315-35-17's. The car is being set-up for autocross.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:44 PM
theybot
Racer

Originally Posted by Cris
I am running 17" wheels with 5" backspacing. The only modification to the trailing arm is the parking brake bracket has been moved to the top of the arm. The stock sway bar fits fine.

I might be able to get 5.5" backspacing with offset arms in the rear, but I am maxed out in the front at 5" backspacing. I wanted to run the same wheels front and rear so I can rotate tires.

The wheels are 17"x11" with 315-35-17's. The car is being set-up for autocross.
17 x 11!!! Holly crap!!!

Just kidding I imagine your fenders must be flared. I'll bet its mean as hell looking love to see a pick. I to would really like to try auto-crossing the vette which is why I don't want to ditch the rear bar, but would also like to run as much meat under the car as possible without rubbing things.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Cris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to say, my vette is an ugly duckling. The flares will not be added until I get the suspesion sorted out, the car is in primer gray. The wheel wells are simply cut out to accomodate the 315's.

It is all about tires to make the car stick on an autocross course. If you want to compete with a C5 on race rubber you need the same tires. Maybe someday it will be cleaned up, in the meantime, I'm racing the #$%^& out of it.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
tdelph
Drifting

Default 17x8 w/5" bs works for me

I currently have off set trailing arms and I have had 5.5" back space on a 17x8 wheel and didnt like the narrow rear dish on the wheel or the tight fit towards the inner fender well. I also had issue with the rear sway bar if you have one. The 17x8 with 5" back space works better for me because the wheel dish matches the wheel dish on the front. i have 17x7 with 4" back space on the front.

I have 2 almost new 17x8" Rallys with 5.5" back space in my garage. that was a very expensive mistake. make sure you can deal with the over all look of the wheel and the dish. Keep in mind if you have a 17x8 on the rear and a 17x7 on the front with a back space of 5.5 on the rear it will probably look funny.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:21 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by theybot
Do you think you could take some pics of the clearance between the inner fender lip and the tire and also where the bar would have hit. What size rubber do you run in the back?
I always thought it was the tire that hit the sway bar thus preventing using it. Do you think it is because your running 4 3/4 back spacing? I think most of the people I've heard run 8 inch wheels were running 5.5 backspacing.
Thanks for the info and any help this is very useful info tome and much cheaper then buying and returning parts.

Thanks
Toby
Sorry to say that we don't have that car any longer so I can't take pictures. But, you can easily tell where the sway bar might hit once it is installed (and not bolted to the trailing arm) by just moving it upwards. It didn't take much to gain enough clearance and it only is a problem as the suspension goes through it's full travel. Again, it all depends on how much you lower the car. The backspacing I used caused no sway bar clearance problems with the tires but I can see how going too much further might.

The tires I ran were 235/45 x 17" and I did trim the upper area of the fender lip about a quarter inch. That was more for peace of mind. The clearance is tight though and you have to make sure the body of the car is centered as best you can to get an even spacing on both sides.

There are some pictures of the car and chassis on the first page of our web site.

Rich Lagasse
Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 PM
theybot
Racer

Originally Posted by tdelph
I currently have off set trailing arms and I have had 5.5" back space on a 17x8 wheel and didnt like the narrow rear dish on the wheel or the tight fit towards the inner fender well. I also had issue with the rear sway bar if you have one. The 17x8 with 5" back space works better for me because the wheel dish matches the wheel dish on the front. i have 17x7 with 4" back space on the front.

I have 2 almost new 17x8" Rallys with 5.5" back space in my garage. that was a very expensive mistake. make sure you can deal with the over all look of the wheel and the dish. Keep in mind if you have a 17x8 on the rear and a 17x7 on the front with a back space of 5.5 on the rear it will probably look funny.
Were you able to keep the rear bar with 5 inch BS and what size tires are you running?
Do you think it would be possible to run 17 x 8 up front with 5 inch back space?
I would like to keep the same size all around.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:11 PM
tdelph
Drifting

I dont have the rear sway bar on right now but I think I could make it work now that I have the extra 1/2" on each side.

The tires are a tricky thing. You really need to go try a few different manufacturers out. For example; I tried a 245 BF goodrich tire and it fit fine. I ended up with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires and if you put them side by side the Michelin appears a little larger and it is a 235 series tire. Also if you run 45's instead of 50's it will be different. i ran 50 and 55 series tire to try and mimick the factory diameter. putting 17x8's on the front would be too close for my comfort but if you run a shorter narrower tire it may be OK...but I doubt it unless you made some minor adjustments.

the miles I put on my car are minimal per year so it didnt make a difference to me that I couldnt rotate the tires.

its hard to tell but that is plenty of meat on the rear and it doesnt look out of place or modified.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 PM
tdelph
Drifting

this picture gives you an idea of how large a 225/55/17 looks on the front of a mid-year. not a lot of room to be adding the 17x8 235 or 245 series tire

Old 09-21-2006, 09:20 PM
tdelph
Drifting

I found another close up picture that may give you a better idea;

Old 09-21-2006, 09:29 PM
theybot
Racer

The car looks great.
I don't really put a ton of miles on mine either, and will most likely be alright with 7's up front, but I just like the look of steam rollers. Makes the car look like it has a purpose. Not that you can fit any thing under a midyear that wide, but you know what I'm talk-en about. When you pull up behind some thing like a Viper and you think to your self Holly **** thats a lot of rubber. It has purpose!
Maybe not in My 300HP, but it would look damn good, and after all thats why every one on this form has a Vette.
Toby
Old 09-21-2006, 09:35 PM
theybot
Racer

I dont have the rear sway bar on right now but I think I could make it work now that I have the extra 1/2" on each side.

The tires are a tricky thing. You really need to go try a few different manufacturers out. For example; I tried a 245 BF goodrich tire and it fit fine. I ended up with the Michelin Pilot Sport tires and if you put them side by side the Michelin appears a little larger and it is a 235 series tire. Also if you run 45's instead of 50's it will be different. i ran 50 and 55 series tire to try and mimick the factory diameter. putting 17x8's on the front would be too close for my comfort but if you run a shorter narrower tire it may be OK...but I doubt it unless you made some minor adjustments.

the miles I put on my car are minimal per year so it didnt make a difference to me that I couldnt rotate the tires.

its hard to tell but that is plenty of meat on the rear and it doesnt look out of place or modified.

Where do you think the space issues are up front? Is it fender rub or is it suspension components when you turn lock to lock?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:53 PM
tdelph
Drifting

full lock rub is a problem and if you run a tire that is close to the factory 27" diameter it will also touch the front valance...I had to sand/trim the bottom of the valance to keep it from touching.

I also thought about getting as much meat as I could on my 67. They make the larger fenders for the mid-years that will allow probably another 1-1/2. A 9.5" rim with 255 or 275's would look really nice but i couldnt bring myself to take the chance.

here is a photo shop picture of a larger wheel on the rear. It looks a little over the top but I was trying to get a picture in my mind when another forum member came up with this picture;

Old 09-21-2006, 10:02 PM
theybot
Racer

full lock rub is a problem and if you run a tire that is close to the factory 27" diameter it will also touch the front valance...I had to sand/trim the bottom of the valance to keep it from touching.

I also thought about getting as much meat as I could on my 67. They make the larger fenders for the mid-years that will allow probably another 1-1/2. A 9.5" rim with 255 or 275's would look really nice but i couldnt bring myself to take the chance.

here is a photo shop picture of a larger wheel on the rear. It looks a little over the top but I was trying to get a picture in my mind when another forum member came up with this picture;

THAT IS ABSOLUTLLY SICK!!!
If I could build my car out like that with functionality I would do it in a heart beat!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Offset trailing arms nd 17 x 8 wheels

Quick Reply: Offset trailing arms nd 17 x 8 wheels