Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] race seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:58 AM
Spit's07C6Z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default race seats

I recently bought a 07 Z06 and could you please tell me where the best place(s) to buy race seats(Recaro or others)?
Also Teamtech harnesses?
Thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 02:16 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spit's06C6
I recently bought a 07 Z06 and could you please tell me where the best place(s) to buy race seats(Recaro or others)?
Also Teamtech harnesses?
Thanks
I don't know where to get them, but the Sparco Evo is a nice seat and Hardbar makes seat rails to mount it in a C5 or C6 (including Z's). You can get TeamTech belts from TeamTech and Gary at Hardbar can get them.

Last edited by allanlaw; 09-19-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you want race seats or good aftermaket seats??

Here is a hint, Race seats do NOT HAVE LEATHER seating surface.

Sparko makes great seats if you fit in them. You want a seat that is very snugg on your sides and holds you in place.

My thigh and rib supports are very tight so I dont slide sidewaise in the seat what so ever.

Sit in many differnt seats if you can. Try to slide side to side in the seat. If you can slide side to side the seat is way too big.

Good Luck

Team teck contact Gary Hoffman, Hardbar is a forum fender.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

Carravagio has nice seats that seem to cover both worlds. Should have at least been an option IMO on the ZO6.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:20 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess that you're just nixing the side airbags. what do you do w/ the sensors for that airbag set when changing seats? Other than the track where does one sit in a variety of seats?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:05 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by urslooow
I guess that you're just nixing the side airbags. what do you do w/ the sensors for that airbag set when changing seats? Other than the track where does one sit in a variety of seats?
You disconnect the wiring from the stock seat when you take it out. To try out seats, you have to go to a store that has a number of them on display. I found one that had all of the Sparco seats on display. I sat in all of them and the Evo fit me like a glove. The Evo2 is for larger butts, you also have to see it the other parts of the seat are in the right place for you body.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by allanlaw
The Evo2 is for larger butts.
I resembled that remark.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Carravagio has nice seats that seem to cover both worlds. Should have at least been an option IMO on the ZO6.
Carravagio are GREAT after market seats. But not racing seats no matter what they say. Cost of one Carravagio would cover more then the cost of 2 racing seats, mounting seat rails AND harness system.

The lower you can keep the weight the better.

I use an aluminum seat with a think faberic covering. Most comfortbale seat I have ever used. Would I use it as a DD? no but on the track it holds me in tight
Old 09-19-2006, 01:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,842 Likes on 1,158 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by urslooow
I guess that you're just nixing the side airbags. what do you do w/ the sensors for that airbag set when changing seats?
Yes, you're nixxing the side airbag, and very likely the main airbags as well. Folks who have swapped in race seats can confirm, but I suspect their airbag MIL is on. That means the entire system is shutdown.

jas
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

YES you put in a race seat, the air bag is disbaled. Make sure you have a 5 or 6 point harness system.

Then we get into the DOT leagality. Harnsess systems are not legeal even though they provide better protection.

I dont like driving with harness on the public roads. you cant turn to look behind you in your blind spots. But on the track I prefer them.

HPDEs require equal restraints for driver and passanger too.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
YES you put in a race seat, the air bag is disbaled. Make sure you have a 5 or 6 point harness system.

Then we get into the DOT leagality. Harnsess systems are not legeal even though they provide better protection.

I dont like driving with harness on the public roads. you cant turn to look behind you in your blind spots. But on the track I prefer them.

HPDEs require equal restraints for driver and passanger too.
This seems to be the trend with HPDE events - not all have that rule YET but it seems to be coming.

For the reasons you note, I don't think I'd keep the racing seat in all the time. I'm told Gary's rails make it easy to switch the seats - I can't confirm or deny . . .
Old 09-19-2006, 03:10 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Another good Sparco seat is the Roadster. An important consideration if you intend to keep the seat in the car is ingress / egress and the side bolsters. The higher bolsters feel great in the twisty stuff but can be a pain around town if you are running errands jumping in/out of the car. The Roadster has a more moderate side bolster than the Evo, but you can also remove its bottom cushion to get the Evo effect for the track.

IIRC, John Caravaggio seats (gorgeous) are re-skinned Sparco Roadsters, Evos, or (with major surgery) Torinos, which recline.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:15 PM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by allanlaw
This seems to be the trend with HPDE events - not all have that rule YET but it seems to be coming.

For the reasons you note, I don't think I'd keep the racing seat in all the time. I'm told Gary's rails make it easy to switch the seats - I can't confirm or deny . . .

Allan once you have the HardBar mounted seats in the proper place, they will be in and out in a few mins. The only other challange is to keep the telescop steering wheel in the right place.

YOu can see the HardBar rail mounted on the floor here

Here you can see my RIB supports. ( These have saved my sides and body more then harnesses)

My seat is an Ultra-Sheild Pro Road Race 14" wide

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-19-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Spit's07C6Z
Instructor

Thank you guys for all the info, I have decided to call Dan at Vetteworksonline. He just started to carry TeamTech, so you can get complete package from him.
Thanks again.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 PM
fullmonty
Instructor

Default Aftermarket seats

For what it is worth: I changed out the stock crappy driver's seat for a Euro version Porsche GT3 seat, placed the SharkBar and have a 5 point harness set-up. The change out of the seat will not deactivate the main air bag as long as the connections at the stock belt and underseat wiring harness are intact.

I was at a local Chev. dealership and looked at the display car 06' Cobalt SS; unbelievable... it has recaro seats that are well bolstered. What the heck is wrong with G.M.- they should offer an option for "hi Po " seats.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:23 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Allan once you have the HardBar mounted seats in the proper place, they will be in and out in a few mins.
That's what I heard, thanks for confirming. Let me say that I've seen Gary's seat rails, and they are beautifully machined parts.

Get notified of new replies

To race seats

Old 09-20-2006, 08:42 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks! Vetteworks is now carrying our seat rails. Dan has them in stock.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:13 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

I've had two calls from people that have used our seat mounts in 2LZ packaged C6Z and they said that with the stock seat removed and all seat belt and air bag connections unplugged, that it limited their speed. Can anyone confirm? and if so, is there a Plug in fix?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 AM
gtb75
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a set of these in black cloth last week for my Z: http://www.corbeau.com/products/a4/a4.shtml

Also got the matching rails... Corbeau will factory install a pass-through in the bottom cushion for sub belts for a nominal fee. To my knowledge the A4's are one of the few racing style seats with a recline mechanism which will fit in the C5/C6. Here's a thread with them being installed in a C5: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=892767

As far as harness bar and harness goes, I went with the Shark Bar and TeamTech 6-point harnesses. I was originally planning to go with Gary's Hardbar, but determined it might cause a seat travel issue for one of my frequent passengers (who is 6'3"). The Hardbar is a great product (and lighter than the Shark Bar), but I opted for the Shark Bar for the extra clearance. Both Gary from Hardbar and Dan from Vetteworks are awesome to work with! Don't worry Gary, I'll be ordering a brake package from you once the caliper solution is finalized

Last edited by gtb75; 11-12-2006 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] race seats