C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Serpentine without tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 09:32 PM
stallion8797
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine without tensioner?

I'm in the process of removing my AC, and AIR pumps and was looking for a way to route the belt. I was thinking just around the remaining accessories, but that would leave me with no tensioner pulley. Is this ok?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No !!
Old 09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

in the old days, they used to use mechanical tightness to hold the belt (Honda and Toyota stil do). But with the lack of precision on these accessory drives, I would recommend against this...

The belts will vibrate on these engines, and the tensioner will absorb that vibration.

one of the reasons that honda and toyota can get away with it, even tho they are using a wide belt, it's one of two... so it lacks the length (I am making this comparison to my Prelude, it had 2 belts).... I don't remember if the newer toyotas and hondas are infact single or multibelt.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:09 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done this to my '91. You're going to have to get a new water pump(standard rotation), an adustable lenght rod with turnbuckles on the ends (got mine from March pulleys), and a 56" serp belt.
Attached the rod to the top of alternator and front of intake manifold then you can adjust the position of the alternator to set your belt tenssion. This works great and the engine compartment sure looks clean.
I actually got this info from a previous post I'll see if I can find it for you. I'll also try to get a few pictures of my engine comp. today and post them.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:56 AM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Couldn't find the old post, but I did find my receipts with part #s. I used a Weiand water pump 8220 (the inlet is a little larger so you'll have to stretch the lower hose over it, but it will go, you'll also need a plug for the top outlet of the pump, available a any parts store), the adjustable rod was from March pulley part # RA-9.500. Your'e also going to need an assortment of bolts, nuts, washers and clamps.
I also took this as an opportune time replace all hoses, flush the cooling system and bypass the coolant to throttle body.
This is my first time trying to post pictures so forgive me if I mess it up.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...5/limit/recent
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...4/limit/recent
PM me if you've got any questions.

Last edited by ultraviolet70; 09-11-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:59 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

"I don't remember if the newer toyotas and hondas are infact single or multibelt."

New has a tensioner, single belt - my '05 RAV4 lasted all of 1000 miles. TSB allready issued - maybe they should have stuck with a fixed system.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:22 PM
pablocruise
Le Mans Master

I removed my tensioner(removed the whole A/C system and it's brackets)and have not had any belt probs.
I fabricated a top alternator bracket with an elongated hole where you can slide the alt away from the engine(pivots on the bottom bolt). That takes up the slack.
I think it is important to reinforce the back of the alt with somekind of support. My alt case broke in half one day.

ultraviolet:
Nice job on the heim joint alt bracket. Does away with the smog delete dummy pulley and cleans up the area pretty good. Give consideration to bracing the backside of the alt. I am going to set mine up like yours
Old 09-11-2006, 05:20 PM
ultraviolet70
Drifting

Hey Paul I've been trying to figure out a way to install a brace to the rear of the alt. but with the Hooker LTs I haven't been able to yet. I definitely agree there should be one there it'd make me feel alot better.
"Heim joint" I'd been trying to remember what the hell those were called.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:42 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

serp belt on my ss monte had no tensioner, stock oem, just slotted bracket on the alt..... my shop air compressor is serp belt with no tensioner...no problems with either...the shop compressor is on its second belt in 20 years, 4-groove, 2 hp motor (4 hp if rated ''sears'' way) that draws full amps for motor rating

Last edited by redrose; 09-11-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
ibonzi
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 _All smog removed....HELP!

love the thread guys and need some help. Ive got an 89 and want to remove all the smog crap. I will be sending the harness to Jims Performance to convert to 1990 MAP instead of MAS. Good by and good riddens,.
1) Smog pump assy GONE!
2) Can I remove the EGR ( Under the intake manifold) and the mess of hoses that go with it without causing error codes
3) I think the tube that crosses over the top of the Pass valve cover is the EGR tube & temp sensor it runs to the back #8 exhaust manifold. ( CAN I REMOVE IT (If yes: What do I do about the hole in the manifold)?
4) Is the stock water pump a reverse rotation? I just bought it and hate to have to go by another one.Reason: I want to do away with having to buy the Smog conversion Pulley (`150.00)

Tied of taking 6 hours to change plugs and and miles of useless CR_P.

I want a simple motor with AC and power steering......

Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is that scoop for on your roof?
Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Get him Bill! Bonz, the procedure is do the search then start a new thread with questions you did not find the answer to in the archives. The mods will kill the old thread if they see it and you wont get your answer.

Nice car BTW are the stripes painted or a vinyl decal?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffp1167
[IMG]http://i201What is that scoop for on your roof?
What, your car didn't come with one?

Get notified of new replies

To Serpentine without tensioner?

Quick Reply: Serpentine without tensioner?