C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much Paint to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much Paint to buy??

Any one know how much paint to buy to paint a 67 vert?? Also while on the subject--how many coats of paint and primer??--thanks in advance--Glenn
Old 09-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I did body work in the early 70's, after I got out of the service. I really don't remember how much paint it took for a car, primer we always had plenty, we used to put two coats and wet sand it and use a rubber applicator to look for scratches then put more primer till it was perfect. Then shot color, two coats, wet sand, two coats, wet sand, and two more coats wet sand then buff it out. All that for $600.00 and it looked like a mirror. I never shot basecoat/clear coat.

An autobody paint store should be able to give you a good estimate on how much paint to buy.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:36 AM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I used less than a gallon of lacquer on my 67 coupe, applying 8 coats. What are your intensions with the car? Mine was for a good looking driver. Body work / prep has a lot to do with it also!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:30 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

if I remember correctly when my car was painted 2 years ago we bought a gallon of base coat color. The painter sprayed 4 coats of color under 4 coats of clears. There was just enough base color paint left to keep for future touch-ups on chips.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

I agree with Barry. I painted my '66 conv a few years ago. 1 gallon of base and 1 gallon of clear. I used the old fashioned paint gun. If you use HVLP, you get more material on the car and less in the air. Also, buy the
best quality paint. Each manufacturer has different lines. If you buy their high end - you get a paint with more 'solids count'. I have used the cheaper stuff with good results. But, with all the work you are putting into it. No need to cheap out. I think I got about 4 coats out of a gallon. I didn't do the door jambs, under decklid, or under hood though.

I have always used PPG. Omni is the cheap line and I think Concept is the high end ?

If you are going to color sand. Remember that you will be removing lots of the clear coat.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

It will be just a driver--what do you think of this places paint?? www.paintforcars.com and yes i plan to color sand it a couple times if i have the paint --thanks--Glenn
Old 09-07-2006, 04:18 PM
lovevettes
Racer

Default corvette paint

I do not know if you would be interested in this---
http://www.corvettepaintcodes.com/
Old 09-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

I would look for PPG or Dupont. Is there a local autobody supply store in your town ? Don't forget a GOOD respirator, and paint suit. Fiberglass also has a lot of static electricity. It will attract just about anything. There is a mixture of water and alcohol (I think) that will cut down on the static electricity. Maybe someone else knows the ratio or do a search on google.
Be careful with the sandpaper. Although marked 2000, 2500, etc...some of it tends to be a rougher grit than what is stated. Just prior to painting. I always wet the floor down with water to cut down on dust/dirt in the air.
Pull your masking tape off, before the paint completely dries. Else it may chip or leave a rough line. If you pull it off a little wet, the line will smooth out.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

You more than likely have spent or will spend an inordinate amount of time getting your car to the paint or repaint stage and although it may not be the most expensive item on your car it may very well be the first thing that most people notice. A 67 Vette deserves a pretty decent paint job whether it is a driver or not. Once the paint is on you are stuck with it for awhile so it may be wise to spend a little more than what you can get on special. There are a bunch of inexpensive paints out there but most have something in common and that is they are worth what you are paying for them. It is often not the just the paint that makes the final job so-so but often it is the reducers not flowing out the sprayable material properly. I would suggest the OMNI line of PPG. This line is not dirt cheap by any means but in today's market it is reasonably priced and the reducers are matched to the paint and flow out real well. The hints that could be given to you in preparation for spraying could fill a thread or two and they are probably already in old threads on this forum. If it makes you feel any better I just priced the paint for the 62 I am painting next weekend and material only is already over $1300-Jim
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Also make sure you use a primer color that is close to your finish color...i.e. red primer for red top coat...I made the mistake on my first paint job, of my ex wifes 65 Nova wagon....I used black primer and painted the car red....took 3 gallons of paint to get that black to disappear
Old 09-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

My '66 that I painted. PPG OMNI, 5 hp, 20 gallon, single stage air compressor, paint gun from Wal-mart, 20 x 22 garage, air dried. This was 5 years ago. I saw it a month ago, and it still looked just as good. A good paint job is in the prep and massaging after the paint has dried.

Jim Dillon - What are you using ? OMNI use to be the cheap line. Has it gone up that much ?

Old 09-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Omni is pretty reasonably priced although no matter how hard you try it is still hard to get out of the paint store without going thru a couple of C-notes. What I am going to use is the PPG Radiance 3-coat Candy Apple Red. The base coat is $285 a gallon, the mid coat due to the red fleck is $526 a gallon and the clear is $170 a gallon (will use 6 quarts). Then add on my hardeners for $110 and $58 and reducers for $75.60. That puts it a tad over $1300 then add in the sales tax and God knows what else. Trying to get it painted before the cold sets in and it will give me plenty of excuses to spend time in my barn this winter-Jim
Old 09-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Jim Dillon
Pro

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost
My '66 that I painted. PPG OMNI, 5 hp, 20 gallon, single stage air compressor, paint gun from Wal-mart, 20 x 22 garage, air dried. This was 5 years ago. I saw it a month ago, and it still looked just as good. A good paint job is in the prep and massaging after the paint has dried.

Jim Dillon - What are you using ? OMNI use to be the cheap line. Has it gone up that much ?

The car looks great by the way and your right the details before and after can make the job. I have a cabinet full of pretty decent guns but some years ago I took my best gun to paint a friends car (for show) in his garage across town and got halfway thru the job and the gun went spit. Since I was in a real hurry in the middle of the job, I went to the corner autoparts store and bought the only gun they had which wasn't much (it cost like twenty some dollars) and it surprised me how good it worked.-Jim
Old 09-08-2006, 08:16 AM
Johns_65Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim Dillon
Omni is pretty reasonably priced although no matter how hard you try it is still hard to get out of the paint store without going thru a couple of C-notes. What I am going to use is the PPG Radiance 3-coat Candy Apple Red. The base coat is $285 a gallon, the mid coat due to the red fleck is $526 a gallon and the clear is $170 a gallon (will use 6 quarts). Then add on my hardeners for $110 and $58 and reducers for $75.60. That puts it a tad over $1300 then add in the sales tax and God knows what else. Trying to get it painted before the cold sets in and it will give me plenty of excuses to spend time in my barn this winter-Jim
When people tell me they can get there car painted at XXX or XXX for under $500, I just laugh and say, you get what you pay for. Let me know how that paint looks in a couple of years

People have a cow about a quality paint job on a Vette costing upwards of 12K, they need to understand just how much cost is involved in material alone
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

The very same thing happened to me. Thats how I wound up with the Wal-Mart gun. Color sanding took the orange peel out and I was happy with it.

Todays factory finishes are tough. But the orange peel in them drives me nuts.

You are right. The paint is usually cheap. But, when you add in the hardners, etc...it adds up quickly.

Originally Posted by Jim Dillon
I took my best gun to paint a friends car (for show) in his garage across town and got halfway thru the job and the gun went spit. Since I was in a real hurry in the middle of the job, I went to the corner autoparts store and bought the only gun they had which wasn't much (it cost like twenty some dollars) and it surprised me how good it worked.-Jim

Get notified of new replies

To How much Paint to buy??

Quick Reply: How much Paint to buy??