C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All C6 Coupe Owners Pease Read This!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:02 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All C6 Coupe Owners Pease Read This!!

I have an 06 Corvette and went to the dealership for my first oil change. My service advisor and I talked about the separating targa roofs. He looked up my VIN and said that it DID NOT FALL UNDER THE RECALL. (between the numbers) Driving home from the dealership guess what happened. I was on the "on ramp" of the interstate going about 50mph and the top just flew off! No prior warning at all! Lifted up, flapped in the wind for a second and bye bye! I didnt even have time to slow down. The car behind me swerved around it as it landed in the middle of the road! I quickly pulled over, ran into the road, picked up my top tossing it into the hatch. I went straight back to the dealership. To clear up a few questions I noticed on the other posts here.......The frame is magnesium, this stays attached to the car. The painted "shell" is fiberglass and is adhered to the frame with (small)strips of glue. The fix is strips of glue AND foam adhesive that fills in the entire air space. All cars and houses these days use adhesives, some are stronger then using nails so adhesives are not the issue but did GM actually think a few strips of it would hold a roof panel together. If the foam was used in conjunction from the start this would never have happened. I blame GM for not solving the problem after it was discovered. What they did was take the lowest VIN # of the car that had roof separation and the highest VIN # car then they just created a recall for those in between. OBVIOUSLY IF THE PROBLEM WASNT FIXED AT THE FACTORY UNTIL CORVETTE SAY...... #20,000 WAS PRODUCED THEN ALL CARS 1-19,999 HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO SEPARATE. THEY SHOULD ALL BE RECALLED. If my car had a lower of higher VIN then the original recall numbers then I actually expanded the recall numbers. This is why GM is hurting so bad, I dont blame the problem I blame the solution, or lack of it! They dont want to spend the money. If this happened to me 10 seconds later I would have been going 70mph on the Interstate (I-95) Somebody or several people could have been killed! With lawsuits and bad publicity adding up it will cost GM more then replacing everybodys top in the first place. Recently a Corvette in Orlando had a roof fly off and it hit a motorcycle. The motorcycle hit a car that hit another car. The motorcycle driver and a car occupant was killed. Now I dont know if the Corvette was a C6 with a seperated roof or another year and the driver forgot to latch the top on tight. However the story is true!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:06 AM
steveo242
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D. Togo
I have an 06 Corvette and went to the dealership for my first oil change. My service advisor and I talked about the separating targa roofs. He looked up my VIN and said that it DID NOT FALL UNDER THE RECALL. (between the numbers) Driving home from the dealership guess what happened. I was on the "on ramp" of the interstate going about 50mph and the top just flew off! No prior warning at all! Lifted up, flapped in the wind for a second and bye bye! I didnt even have time to slow down. The car behind me swerved around it as it landed in the middle of the road! I quickly pulled over, ran into the road, picked up my top tossing it into the hatch. I went straight back to the dealership. To clear up a few questions I noticed on the other posts here.......The frame is magnesium, this stays attached to the car. The painted "shell" is fiberglass and is adhered to the frame with (small)strips of glue. The fix is strips of glue AND foam adhesive that fills in the entire air space. All cars and houses these days use adhesives, some are stronger then using nails so adhesives are not the issue but did GM actually think a few strips of it would hold a roof panel together. If the foam was used in conjunction from the start this would never have happened. I blame GM for not solving the problem after it was discovered. What they did was take the lowest VIN # of the car that had roof separation and the highest VIN # car then they just created a recall for those in between. OBVIOUSLY IF THE PROBLEM WASNT FIXED AT THE FACTORY UNTIL CORVETTE SAY...... #20,000 WAS PRODUCED THEN ALL CARS 1-19,999 HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO SEPARATE. THEY SHOULD ALL BE RECALLED. If my car had a lower of higher VIN then the original recall numbers then I actually expanded the recall numbers. This is why GM is hurting so bad, I dont blame the problem I blame the solution, or lack of it! They dont want to spend the money. If this happened to me 10 seconds later I would have been going 70mph on the Interstate (I-95) Somebody or several people could have been killed! With lawsuits and bad publicity adding up it will cost GM more then replacing everybodys top in the first place. Recently a Corvette in Orlando had a roof fly off and it hit a motorcycle. The motorcycle hit a car that hit another car. The motorcycle driver and a car occupant was killed. Now I dont know if the Corvette was a C6 with a seperated roof or another year and the driver forgot to latch the top on tight. However the story is true!
Can anyone provide the link to this story on the motorcycle hit? That is horrible news. I was afraid something like this would eventually happen, especially over summer time...
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 AM
Savage C6
Pro

Use the search engine.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 AM
ilkhan
Burning Brakes

please read and try to comprehend line 4 of my sig. It REALLY applies.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:42 AM
MarcelR
Navigator

Hi D.Togo,

thats not new for me , here in german.

My 05 VIN is 35422 (out of range too) , but i had the same trouble with my roof too. On a wednesday my dealer told me the same , my roof are OK an d i dont must be nervous. Only 5h later myroof slides away and was hit by an other car.

Still today i wait for a new roof since 26 of July (over 40 days).

My dealer fix it wth windshield adhesion. It works fine but my roof is scratched .

by the way , my car was only 1 Day at home and 273km at the odometer.

i am with you ...

Marcel
Old 09-05-2006, 04:50 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

STEVEO 242, I live in South Florida and my uncle lives in the Orlando area . He read about the "Corvette roof meets motorcycle driver" in the news paper and I believe it was also mentioned on the local news. Ill have to contact him and see what I can gather. I think he said it was on Route 5 if that helps somebody doing an internet search.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:04 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Hey MarcelR,
WOW YOUR ROOF ACTUALLY HIT A CAR! The roof panel is light for its size but a 4 foot square panel flying at you while your going 70 mph is not something I want anyone to experience. I was soooo lucky, if the roof had to come off it did it at the right time and place! It just finished raining, It didnt come off on the interstate so I could recover the top (kept it from getting run over and flying into someone elses car) I just left the dearership (not like I was on vacation) and most important NO ONE GOT HURT! GM gave me a rental for free of course and one week later had a brand new roof and frame. (still had my old roof and frame so I know they didnt just paint and re foam the old one) SteveO, What was the outcome of your roof hitting a car?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:05 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Opps .................I meant Marcel not SteveO, sorry

Get notified of new replies

To All C6 Coupe Owners Pease Read This!!

Quick Reply: All C6 Coupe Owners Pease Read This!!