C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting the replacement SMC roof – DIY w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Adjusting the replacement SMC roof – DIY w/pics

The recall instructions were revised on Aug 25 to mention that the new SMC painted roof sits LOWER then the original one and needs to be adjusted.
If your dealer neglects to do this or isn’t aware it needs to be done, here’s some DIY instructions explaining how I fixed mine.

Please note, the instructions in the service manual say that you need to remove the visors and headliner to make this adjustment.
My car had enough of a gap in there to adjust the front mount WITHOUT doing this.
Please check your car out and make sure you don’t have to do this the long way without damage.

When I picked up my car after the SMC replacement top was installed the top was noticeably lower in the front.
The very next day I saw posted here that the dealer is supposed to raise the front roof mounting points 1.5mm to 2.0mm to compensate for this.
I didn’t want to take the car back to the body shop so I did it myself.

Here is what I did.

This is the drivers side front roof mount

Notice the adjustment screw if you pull away the headliner piece

It requires a T25 TORX bit

I pulled the headliner back and slipped the screwdriver into place.
Loosened up the two screws and raised the mounting bracket.
Tightened it up and did the passengers side next.

Roof lines up great now.
Sorry for the dust & fingerprints. She needs some detailing attention

The following users liked this post:
UCC (01-12-2019)
Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

made it a "sticky"
Old 09-03-2006, 09:27 AM
AndysZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Great Shawn...Thank You Very Much !!! Regards, Andy
Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 AM
ZMEGO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fix compatible with transparent top??

I have the same problem with my new SMC top. It sits lower and makes a "styroform blocks rubbing together noise" when driving on rough pavement or bumps. When I lower the window a bit the noise goes away so I believe this fix may help. However I wonder how this will affect the fit of my transparent top. Would be a bitch if adjustment was needed every time the roofs were changed.

Any one have any experience with this yet.

Gary
Old 09-03-2006, 10:33 AM
NoZ4Me
Intermediate

This is idiodic! What if you have both tops? Now your glass top will be too high!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ZMEGO
However I wonder how this will affect the fit of my transparent top. Would be a bitch if adjustment was needed every time the roofs were changed.

Any one have any experience with this yet.

Gary
I was wondering the same, as I am preparing to order a trans top soon.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

I know GM should have gotten this right from the get go, but....

Seems like this would be a good opportunity for someone to make a permanent extension for the transparent top pins to add a little height without having to adjust the roof mount when you wanted to switch tops.

Matt
Old 09-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I adjusted my C5 (both roofs) and C6 roof slightly lower than the leading edge to eliminate roof creaking and noises. What's the problem with the roof front edge being low?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I'm also wondering about the tranparent top? Is everyone getting new SMC top? I have not put back my painted top ever since I got my transparent top.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dark_phantom
I'm also wondering about the tranparent top? Is everyone getting new SMC top? I have not put back my painted top ever since I got my transparent top.
Only painted tops are being replaced...
Old 09-03-2006, 08:15 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you. I was putting this off since I figured removing the windshield header trim and sunvisors was a big job. Nice photos and write up.

I was able to adjust the stricker(s), as per your instructions.

I only have the transparent roof. My original roof cracked about 6 months ago. Ever since I installed the new transparent roof panel, it fits very low on the the W/S header. Also, even though I lubed the weather strips with silicone and I replaced both top pin "guides" as per the bulletin, the roof would still "pop" at the front right side latch area. I thought that maybe since the new roof fits so low, there may be "hard contact" between the roof panel and the W/S header, since i had some "witness marks" in the vinyl W/S header trim near the latch. I hope that raising the W/S header stricker (which allow the roof height to increase) will eliminate the roof poping noise. (No, the roof is not separating).

I do feel it is risky, since the header trim could be easily damaged. Not that a tech at the Chevy store would ever shortcut the procedure in the service manual.

Last edited by calemasters; 09-05-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:20 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shawn,
Regardless if there will be issues with the transparent top or not, very nice thought on your part to take the time to show everyone how to make the adjustment on the new tops. Thanks for the effort and the thoughtfulness. Nice job man, great post.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM
ZMEGO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I agree

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Shawn,
Regardless if there will be issues with the transparent top or not, very nice thought on your part to take the time to show everyone how to make the adjustment on the new tops. Thanks for the effort and the thoughtfulness. Nice job man, great post.
Shawn,
Sorry I neglected to thank you for the great write up, nice job.

Gary
Old 09-04-2006, 03:45 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Only painted tops are being replaced...
I knew that, but my question is are all the painted tops being replaced or just those that are delaminated. I ask because ever since I got the transparent top I have not put my painted top back. I would like to just get the new SMC and return my repaired painted one. Anyone knows?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

SHAWN, S, Great pics and post about adjusting the SMC roof. I have a question though. Do you think that the new roof is supposed to sit lower so that the wind flows over the top windshield lip and doesnt create turbulence against the new roof panel shell? It may be on purpose as another preventative of separation. I recently had my top fly off while driving and the dealer replaced it with a brand new top, frame and all. I noticed the new top sat lower. Do you really think its a good idea to raise it back?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:18 AM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by D. Togo
SHAWN, S, Great pics and post about adjusting the SMC roof. I have a question though. Do you think that the new roof is supposed to sit lower so that the wind flows over the top windshield lip and doesnt create turbulence against the new roof panel shell? It may be on purpose as another preventative of separation. I recently had my top fly off while driving and the dealer replaced it with a brand new top, frame and all. I noticed the new top sat lower. Do you really think its a good idea to raise it back?
Do you feel that the proper fix for an obvious defect is to put up with miss-aligned roof panel?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Does this adjustment affect how the lexan top sits? The lexan top is PERFECT while the new SMC top seems a tad lower. If so I wonder what the consequences are when using the lexan top?

Thanks

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting the replacement SMC roof – DIY w/pics

Old 09-05-2006, 10:20 PM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...........good point Shortski but knowing GM as I stated, it may be another preventative measure, Ill align the roof and hope I dont kill anybody with another flying panel on the interstate. Once was one time too many.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:56 PM
ChuckTu
Racer

Great pictures and awesome instructions...but I can't budge either of the two screws in my driver side bracket...and that is the one that I have to move...any idea of what I could do to help them out a little?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:16 AM
shortski
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChuckTu
Great pictures and awesome instructions...but I can't budge either of the two screws in my driver side bracket...and that is the one that I have to move...any idea of what I could do to help them out a little?
Couple of days in the gym.....

Quick Reply: Adjusting the replacement SMC roof – DIY w/pics