C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"heads up" about shipping wheels via UPS....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Lee6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "heads up" about shipping wheels via UPS....

sold my set of stock chrome wheels to a forum member in new mexico.....went to the local box store to send them via ups.....instructed them, twice, to make absolutely sure that the wheels were boxed back-to-back so that scratching would not occur (they were sending them two to a box)

sure enough, they didn't do it....sent one pair back to front.....spokes got deeply scratched....filed a claim....they lost the claim....had them inspected....they lost the report....had them inspected again....lost the report.....the recipient sent digital pics of the damage to the claim rep....she lost them.....sent them again

3 FREAKIN WEEKS LATER ups has still not come to a conclusion as to whether or not they will cover the damage....i paid for $600 worth of insurance.....today, they tell me--after the third inspection--that it will take them up to another 5 days to mull it over and come to a decision

i wanted to warn other forum members that ups sucks when it comes time to put in a claim......incompetence all up and down the chain of command.....plus, myself as a customer can do NOTHING about it.....can't complain, can't do squat, cause the box store is considered "the customer"......and since THEY are the ones who packaged them wrong, they have zero motivation to move the process along

i have NO ability to do anything but wait.........thanks, ups......
Old 09-01-2006, 07:18 PM
ED HEISER
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry for your trouble! It took over two months for me to get paid $500 by UPS for a damaged top purchased from a forum member, and many said I was lucky to be paid at all from their experience. I use the USPS now.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not news unfortunately. Brown is an American success story...Gone to hell.

From the way stuff looks when received, I think they must not be using airplanes anymore...they must have found some surplus Wehrmacht cannons from WWII (remember the "Paris Gun"}...they just shoot packages from one city to another. The next step is to target your front porch...do away with the extra delivery step and that "beautiful Brown sport van".

The last time I shipped something heavy, I used FedEx...cheaper and faster. Anything small enough to be reasonable, I use USPS Priority Mail.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:55 PM
BlakShark
Burning Brakes

Im sorry to hear that. I'm a little worried now because I ordered Forged rims from WCC and they are going to be shipped from UPS. I'm going to double check with WCC how they are going to send them
Old 09-01-2006, 08:32 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

I sent a set of four wheels AZ to PA - - put double layer of heavy cardboard over each side, then wrapped in heavy plastic and then filament tape - - -43 pounds each (the guy that bought `em wanted to know if they'd weigh less if I let the air out . . . )

Apart from being expensive to ship, they arrived in a week - -not a mark.

Oh yeah - - and on UPS.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by CQRT
I sent a set of four wheels AZ to PA - - put double layer of heavy cardboard over each side, then wrapped in heavy plastic and then filament tape - - -43 pounds each (the guy that bought `em wanted to know if they'd weigh less if I let the air out . . . )

Apart from being expensive to ship, they arrived in a week - -not a mark.

Oh yeah - - and on UPS.

I shipped mine the same way ............... After reading this thread it wasn't so expensive after all
Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I sold a set of Weld aluminum wheels off my truck to an out-of-towner via a popular internet auction site (the initials are E B A Y) and shipped via UPS. UPS just dropped them on the front porch without getting a signature, and when my customer came home, no wheels.

I had purchased the insurance, and eventually got the money from UPS to refund to my customer. A former UPS manager told me UPS has made an intentional policy to just drop stuff off if no one is home, because it is cheaper to pay a few claims than to pay the drivers overtime to go back later to deliver when someone can sign for a package.

So I use FedEx and FedEx ground for everything. Caveat Emptor.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,371 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by clevitekid
... A former UPS manager told me UPS has made an intentional policy to just drop stuff off if no one is home, because it is cheaper to pay a few claims than to pay the drivers overtime to go back later to deliver when someone can sign for a package.

UPS now requires that any handgun sent through them must be sent overnight air because so many were being stolen by...UPS employees.

A friend who has a Federal Firearms License received two guns from UPS on different days this week, a pistol and a rifle. He wasn't home when the truck came by so both times the driver just left them on his steps.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 PM
GMD
Instructor

Can I ever, EVER feel your pain with UPS.

I bought a clear top from a fellow forum member, he shipped it VERY well packaged by a packing place.

UPS broke the corner off it. I sent it back. It's been WEEKS and they just got the insurance claim forms to the package guy yesterday.

I'm the "third hand' customer so have zero say in any of it.

All I can do is sit and wait for my money to return.

I'm not upset with the forum member by any means. He did his part, I did mine, UPS dropped the ball (so to speak) and the a-holes must think we'll just forget it or something.

I vote with my wallet.

Never again, brown is for TP....
Old 09-01-2006, 11:09 PM
eagles6998
Melting Slicks

That suks!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:12 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee6
sold my set of stock chrome wheels to a forum member in new mexico.....went to the local box store to send them via ups.....instructed them, twice, to make absolutely sure that the wheels were boxed back-to-back so that scratching would not occur (they were sending them two to a box)

sure enough, they didn't do it....sent one pair back to front.....spokes got deeply scratched....filed a claim....they lost the claim....had them inspected....they lost the report....had them inspected again....lost the report.....the recipient sent digital pics of the damage to the claim rep....she lost them.....sent them again

3 FREAKIN WEEKS LATER ups has still not come to a conclusion as to whether or not they will cover the damage....i paid for $600 worth of insurance.....today, they tell me--after the third inspection--that it will take them up to another 5 days to mull it over and come to a decision

i wanted to warn other forum members that ups sucks when it comes time to put in a claim......incompetence all up and down the chain of command.....plus, myself as a customer can do NOTHING about it.....can't complain, can't do squat, cause the box store is considered "the customer"......and since THEY are the ones who packaged them wrong, they have zero motivation to move the process along

It's not the fault of UPS that the wheels were damaged. It appears as you state that the method of packing caused the damage. If the shipping carton showed no visible damage and if the reciever did not indicate received with damage, then UPS has no reason to accept your claim. This is typical of any freight carrier.

"They" or the "box store" are not affiliated with UPS, even if it's called "The UPS Store", mereley a franchise operation.

Any time you ship wheels you should cut cardboard discs the diameter of the rim and tape to both the front and back of the rim. This will prevent damage to the finish. Not so smart to pack two to a box, even if you think you are saving shipping costs. Best to dense pack one wheel to a carton, then overpack two to a larger carton if you so desire
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 PM
steveo242
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lee6

Holy cow, I UPS was awesome, and I see a few complaints here!

Write as many letters as you can to the high level execs until you get a response!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:16 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GMD
I bought a clear top from a fellow forum member, he shipped it VERY well packaged by a packing place.

UPS broke the corner off it. I sent it back. It's been WEEKS and they just got the insurance claim forms to the package guy yesterday.
I had the exact same experience, but I used my shipping account to have the seller ship it to me. It took about a month total, but I got reimbursed. I don't know if its because I have a shipping account with them or not, as I'm not high enough volume for a discount, just 100-150 per week.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:29 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by GMD
Can I ever, EVER feel your pain with UPS.

I'm the "third hand' customer so have zero say in any of it.

All I can do is sit and wait for my money to return.

I'm not upset with the forum member by any means. He did his part, I did mine, UPS dropped the ball (so to speak) and the a-holes must think we'll just forget it or something.

I vote with my wallet.

Never again, brown is for TP....
My business has been a UPS daily shipper for over twenty years.

The problem is not within UPS, but the franchise outlet that is doing the shipping and packing.

You shouldn't be out anything as the seller/shipper should refund your monies. Why ? Because he or his agent insured the shipment and he/they must initiate the claim. You are the consignee/receiver.You can report damage, but can't claim or receive payment directly from the carrier.

The question is that if it was "very well" packaged, what visible damage did you see prior to opening the carton? The size of the carton should have been large enough to accept the top laying flat, with at least six inches extra space all around the top. Top should have been wrapped with a bubble wrap, then inserted in a box filled with packing peanuts. The secret to no damage is to dense pack the packing material.

I can file a claim electronically or via fax and get an immediate confirmation. Value depends if a site survey is justified, and if not a check for the insured amount is received within 3 to 10 days max.

The key component of the claim is if the shipping carton shows visible damage. Hidden damage is harder to collect on, because it usually is the result of poor packaging.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:38 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by CQRT
the guy that bought `em wanted to know if they'd weigh less if I let the air out . . .

Old 09-01-2006, 11:42 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by clevitekid
I sold a set of Weld aluminum wheels off my truck to an out-of-towner via a popular internet auction site (the initials are E B A Y) and shipped via UPS. UPS just dropped them on the front porch without getting a signature, and when my customer came home, no wheels.

I had purchased the insurance, and eventually got the money from UPS to refund to my customer. A former UPS manager told me UPS has made an intentional policy to just drop stuff off if no one is home, because it is cheaper to pay a few claims than to pay the drivers overtime to go back later to deliver when someone can sign for a package.

So I use FedEx and FedEx ground for everything. Caveat Emptor.
Fedex Ground ( old Roadway package service "RPS" ) and express also do not require signatures for delivery.

The shipper must indicate "signature required" at time of shipment, and the shipment will not be left unless it's signed for !!!
Old 09-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Idaho Mark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I ship with UPS and have daily pick up at my business. What you are going through is normal business with full intent by UPS. Here in Boise they just fired four managers for, get this: Making sure the customers received their packages. What they were doing was going out and delivering some packages for driver that had too heavy of a load. They put the delivers in the drivers logs. This was very positive for the customers by UPS saw it as they lied to them. I had a UPS manager tell me that UPS has a real problem when an employee lies to them but it's totally fine for them to lie and steal from their customers.
E.G., I used to have printed boxes and we put a very cool looking company logo sticker on the boxes by the label. We were getting hit weekly for oversized and overweight boxes. We don't have an oversized box under the roof. I went round and around with them until I was told by someone at their corp office. To stop having our boxes printed and stop using such noticeable stickers on the boxes as well. So we did and all that over billing stopped. The bozo's that charged us would do it to boxes that they thought belonged to a big company who woudn't notice the over charges.
That my friend is UPS. We only stay with them because they do one thing right. They get the package to where it needs to go, unlike FedEx ground.
You will be in Small Claims Court so keep a daily log for the judge.

Get notified of new replies

To "heads up" about shipping wheels via UPS....

Old 09-02-2006, 01:52 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark
I ship with UPS and have daily pick up at my business. What you are going through is normal business with full intent by UPS. Here in Boise they just fired four managers for, get this: Making sure the customers received their packages. What they were doing was going out and delivering some packages for driver that had too heavy of a load. They put the delivers in the drivers logs. This was very positive for the customers by UPS saw it as they lied to them. I had a UPS manager tell me that UPS has a real problem when an employee lies to them but it's totally fine for them to lie and steal from their customers.
E.G., I used to have printed boxes and we put a very cool looking company logo sticker on the boxes by the label. We were getting hit weekly for oversized and overweight boxes. We don't have an oversized box under the roof. I went round and around with them until I was told by someone at their corp office. To stop having our boxes printed and stop using such noticeable stickers on the boxes as well. So we did and all that over billing stopped. The bozo's that charged us would do it to boxes that they thought belonged to a big company who woudn't notice the over charges.
That my friend is UPS. We only stay with them because they do one thing right. They get the package to where it needs to go, unlike FedEx ground.
You will be in Small Claims Court so keep a daily log for the judge.
There are a few things you should know about how UPS determines an overweight or oversized package. Unless the facility the package goes through has electronic scanning equipment, not all packages are checked for size and weight. This is a random procedure to check and verify all the information the shipper provided is correct. Remember this company handles about 20 Million packages a day worldwide, so there is absolutely no way to check every package that they handle. However, if a shipper is found to have an issue more than once with packages that comes in oversized or over weight they will be watched because there is a cost associated with moving larger packages throught their system, especially packages going into their planes. If you have an account setup with the company, request a personal visit from your UPS account executive so you can explain the problems you are having, they should be able to help you correct any problems you may be having. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting them involved. My experience with them has been if they screw up and you let them know, they will make it right because they do not want to lose a good customer. Hope this will help.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:56 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
There are a few things you should know about how UPS determines an overweight or oversized package. Unless the facility the package goes through has electronic scanning equipment, not all packages are checked for size and weight. This is a random procedure to check and verify all the information the shipper provided is correct. Remember this company handles about 20 Million packages a day worldwide, so there is absolutely no way to check every package that they handle. However, if a shipper is found to have an issue more than once with packages that comes in oversized or over weight they will be watched because there is a cost associated with moving larger packages throught their system, especially packages going into their planes. If you have an account setup with the company, request a personal visit from your UPS account executive so you can explain the problems you are having, they should be able to help you correct any problems you may be having. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting them involved. My experience with them has been if they screw up and you let them know, they will make it right because they do not want to lose a good customer. Hope this will help.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Lee6
Pro

Originally Posted by RBYCC
It's not the fault of UPS that the wheels were damaged. It appears as you state that the method of packing caused the damage.....
first of all, there's nothing wrong with 2 to the box if boxed correctly.....and yes, it was the box store that boxed it wrong.....the original ups inspector said that that much was obvious.....so no, ups didn't cause the damage, but the problem is, the local store won't act until ups makes a decision on the claim first, and, like i pointed out, ups has totally bungled their end of it.....all we want is a freakin decision by them so we can go after the box store

all ups had to do was issue their proclamation of non-responsibility....but it's now OVER 3 weeks, and their own, in-house incompetence has totally stalled the process

and yes, i am documenting everything for a future small claims action against the box store........

Quick Reply: "heads up" about shipping wheels via UPS....