C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the guys with FI can you tell me why you prefer your method of choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Default For the guys with FI can you tell me why you prefer your method of choice

Please realize I do not want this thread to turn into a pissing contest. I think this forum is very mature and thats why I am even posting a thread like this. You have to understand when you talk to an owner of either a supercharged car or a turboed car "at least from most of my experiences so far" they are very PRO on their choice but have alot of bad to say about the other set-up. It's human nature to be bias towards what you have but I just wanted some straight answers and basically to know if either choice is a good one or if one REALLY DOES have a clear cut advantage over the other. It seems like the turbos at the moment may be a bit out of my budget and some guys like Andy "who I pm'd" Have some nice supercharger kits for the C5's that seem to be more in budget at the moment. If I did decide to go with a superchager I assume it would make around 500rwhp but if I decided later down the road I want more could I forge the motor and run more PSI or is that only with the turbos set-ups?? Sorry for the long post guys but I just wanted some real answers from real owners. Thanks

Last edited by thegame; 08-23-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:33 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If you just read a thread from the past few days this has already been gone over... search for supercharger versus turbos... or which is better...

Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BLOWNZO6
If you just read a thread from the past few days this has already been gone over... search for supercharger versus turbos... or which is better...

I'm thinking that threads gonna have alot of arguing in it lol but i'll try it. Thanks buddy
Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM
BLOWNZO6
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thegame
I'm thinking that threads gonna have alot of arguing in it lol but i'll try it. Thanks buddy
OH YES.. everyone has arguing in it. Everyone thinks their setup is he best.

Not me though.. I KNOW mine is the best... j/k

There is a lot of information around.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:44 PM
jers98vet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with an ecs procharger because that's what I could afford at the time. I would have loved to have gone with tt's but I am completely satisfied with my setup.

BTW the wife is hinting around about wanting her own vert; maybe I could throw twins on hers and have the best of both.

Jer.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:46 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jers98vet
I went with an ecs procharger because that's what I could afford at the time. I would have loved to have gone with tt's but I am completely satisfied with my setup.

BTW the wife is hinting around about wanting her own vert; maybe I could throw twins on hers and have the best of both.

Jer.
Or you could act like you're doing her a favor and give her your supercharger and then get the TT's for your vette.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 PM
chriswtx
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jers98vet

Jer.

Same here. I wanted the TTiX twinturbos, but it was quiet a bit more money. The ECS Paxton is making more power than I can put to the ground anyway and its a whole lot of fun . But turbos are Maybe one day when I can fit it in my budget...

Last edited by chriswtx; 08-23-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:26 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, here goes.

I started with basic boltons (long tube headers, LS6 intake manifold, Flowmaster catback, and a Donaldson Blackwing). That was a solid 12 second car at 112-114 MPH in the 1/4. Had I stopped here I would be swimming in a sea of $100 bills.

At that point to go faster without N20 I would have either had to build the motor or go Forced Induction.

I was assured by this very forum about the wonderfulness of superchargers. Cheap reliable horsepower I was told. After a few rounds of due diligence I opted for the ECS D-1SC ProCharger kit.

At first the supercharger met my expectations. 500 ponies at the tires, which three years ago was pretty stout.

Well, fast forward a short while and I break the power steering idler/tensioner (a bad OEM casting whose demise was hastened by the added stress of the supercharger). The downward spiral had begun!. Next was a battle of belt chuckage followed by a bout of belt shreddage (ohh bless you alignment tool).

By this time I had moved on to a new tuner as the previous had belly flopped into bankruptcy.

You have never truly experienced raw unadulterated anger until you've spent $10,000 on a power adder and then sat on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck (belt installs, at least at that time were a two person job).

As I was continually adding power it was recommended that I upgrade to an 8 rib assembly (these days a 10 rib is available,
apparently the 8 rib was insufficient too). Switching from the 6 rib to 8 rib assembly was around $1,500 in hardware plus another $1,500 to have installed / tuned.

I finally conceded defeat and had twin turbos installed. There is no looking back. The trubos are faster, quieter, and more reliable. No bloodied hood liners, no hideous amount of extra strain on the accessory belt, no squeaking and rattling at idle, noda..

Where I think I went wrong with the supercharger: shop selection and belt assembly. I -really- should have started with an 8 rib. Had I, I might still have the kit.

Now that you've heard my heroic tale of how my problems were remedied with checkbook diplomacy, I would like to point out that there are folks who -never- experience the problems I did. Whether it's the tuner or the alignment of mars relative to the moon is anyones guess.

All in all, I think superchargers in the 400-500 rwhp range can be made reliable, but as you start to lean on it (free flowing cylinder heads, smaller supercharger pulley, etc) I think you really should be prepared to deal with potential belt issues. No matter who makes the belt or bracket you are still putting a huge strain on the accessory system. Belts wear as do idlers and everything else.

The extra $3,000 - $4,000 that turbos cost means nothing when all is said and done.

Good luck - whatever you decide.

Mark
Old 08-23-2006, 06:53 PM
FunCool
Melting Slicks

I just love this power curve from I believe a Ysi blower on a 427ci from Andy. Nice linear, and gradual power curve, which would likely be very track friendly.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Z06VET
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdhmi

Okay, here goes.

I started with basic boltons (long tube headers, LS6 intake manifold, Flowmaster catback, and a Donaldson Blackwing). That was a solid 12 second car at 112-114 MPH in the 1/4. Had I stopped here I would be swimming in a sea of $100 bills.

At that point to go faster without N20 I would have either had to build the motor or go Forced Induction.

I was assured by this very forum about the wonderfulness of superchargers. Cheap reliable horsepower I was told. After a few rounds of due diligence I opted for the ECS D-1SC ProCharger kit.

At first the supercharger met my expectations. 500 ponies at the tires, which three years ago was pretty stout.

Well, fast forward a short while and I break the power steering idler/tensioner (a bad OEM casting whose demise was hastened by the added stress of the supercharger). The downward spiral had begun!. Next was a battle of belt chuckage followed by a bout of belt shreddage (ohh bless you alignment tool).

By this time I had moved on to a new tuner as the previous had belly flopped into bankruptcy.

You have never truly experienced raw unadulterated anger until you've spent $10,000 on a power adder and then sat on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck (belt installs, at least at that time were a two person job).

As I was continually adding power it was recommended that I upgrade to an 8 rib assembly (these days a 10 rib is available,
apparently the 8 rib was insufficient too). Switching from the 6 rib to 8 rib assembly was around $1,500 in hardware plus another $1,500 to have installed / tuned.

I finally conceded defeat and had twin turbos installed. There is no looking back. The trubos are faster, quieter, and more reliable. No bloodied hood liners, no hideous amount of extra strain on the accessory belt, no squeaking and rattling at idle, noda..

Where I think I went wrong with the supercharger: shop selection and belt assembly. I -really- should have started with an 8 rib. Had I, I might still have the kit.

Now that you've heard my heroic tale of how my problems were remedied with checkbook diplomacy, I would like to point out that there are folks who -never- experience the problems I did. Whether it's the tuner or the alignment of mars relative to the moon is anyones guess.

All in all, I think superchargers in the 400-500 rwhp range can be made reliable, but as you start to lean on it (free flowing cylinder heads, smaller supercharger pulley, etc) I think you really should be prepared to deal with potential belt issues. No matter who makes the belt or bracket you are still putting a huge strain on the accessory system. Belts wear as do idlers and everything else.

The extra $3,000 - $4,000 that turbos cost means nothing when all is said and done.

Good luck - whatever you decide.

Mark
Phew .... Better catch a nap after that .

Dan
Old 08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Z06VET
Phew .... Better catch a nap after that .
I felt like a shot of whiskey and a valium after reliving all that.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:45 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

This had to be your best response on your previous experience, wow no bashing, must be a first and thanks for the giving me some goodies in my post on losing my mother
Old 08-23-2006, 08:47 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Thankyou for sharing.
But whiskey and Valiumn aren't allowed in the boostaholic "twelve step" program.

You're supposed to acknowlege that you have no control, and appeal to a "higher power".
Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

The Game :
I am not a zealot of any one kind of power adder and unlike many, I do not bash the ones I do not care for.

So here is the deal; first figure out EXACTLY what you want, your timeframe and what your firm budget is.

This will determine most of your answers.

For example; what are you starting with :
100% stock?
heads/cam?
full bolt ons?
is your drivetrain already fully built?
is your clutch or stall up to scratch?
are your brakes and suspension beefed up?
4, 6 or 10 point rollcage?
racing harness?

Then this question :
How am I going to use this new found power?
As an ocassional weekend warrior, strictly on the street?
Canyon carver?
Road Race?
Autocross?
Drag racing?
Show car - this is just for the bling factor?

Then lastly - what is your immutable budget?
EXACTLY how much do you have to spend?
Will you be cutting a cheque to a Tuner or spinning your own wrenches?
How about the PCM tune? DIY or a Tuner?

By taking your time and figuring out the HONEST answers to these questions, what type of power adder you need will become clear.

Also please remember that whatever power adder you chose - be it supercharger, turbocharger or N2O - many ancillary parts will need to be strengthened. You will be producing additional heat, stress, torque, traction loss et al.

All of this cost time and money, so budget for these items too. Do not just look at the purchase cost of your power adder and think "I can afford that".

I hope this helps a bit.

EG

Last edited by EG@EnglandGreen; 08-24-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Thankyou for sharing.
But whiskey and Valiumn aren't allowed in the boostaholic "twelve step" program.

You're supposed to acknowlege that you have no control, and appeal to a "higher power".
Yeah, but with those small turbos, size envy may kick in and the denial is washed down with whisky...

j/k

Mike
Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Good post, EG. Good useful info and questions.
I think I'm beyond the point where I can give a serious response.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:08 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Warp: I've noticed

Get notified of new replies

To For the guys with FI can you tell me why you prefer your method of choice

Old 08-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Skunkworks
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You seam to do just fine when a little sarcasm comes out.

Oh, TT rules, TT rules, TT rules. I may have saved Mark a post or two.

Mike
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Originally Posted by peter pan
This had to be your best response on your previous experience, wow no bashing, must be a first and thanks for the giving me some goodies in my post on losing my mother
Thanks. As long as that post was I left off even more. The jist is the same either way.

Everyone has different results. I spoke with someone earlier this evening who has an ECS D-1SC kit on his car and he hasn't had any issues after two seasons of driving. I also spoke with a gentleman last night who has an A&A P-1SC and hasn't had any problems. My suspicion is that my car just rejected the blower as some patients reject a perfectly good organ. Who knows.

Through it all both Chris and Doug at ECS did everything they could to help. They spent who knows how much time trying to walk my shop through various things. In retrospect it probably wouldn't have mattered had the instructions been written in crayon. The wrong people were holding the wrenches.

At any rate, there are pros and cons to all of the different kits on the market. From my own experience I prefer the turbo approach as it removes potential problems from the equation.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 PM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
The Game :
I am not a zealot of any one kind of power adder and unlike many, I do not bash the ones I do not care for.

So here is the deal; first figure out EXACTLY what you want, your timeframe and what your firm budget is.

This will determine most of your answers.

For example; what are you starting with :
100% stock?
heads/cam?
full bolt ons?
is your drivetrain always fully built?
is your clutch or stall up to scratch?
are your brakes and suspension beefed up?
4, 6 or 10 point rollcage?
racing harness?

Then this question :
How am I going to use this new found power?
As an ocassional weekend warrior, strictly on the street?
Canyon carver?
Road Race?
Autocross?
Drag racing?
Show car - this is just for the bling factor?

Then lastly - what is your immutable budget?
EXACTLY how much do you have to spend?
Will you be cutting a cheque to a Tuner or spinning your own wrenches?
How about the PCM tune? DIY or a Tuner?

By taking your time and figuring out the HONEST answers to these questions, what type of power adder you need will become clear.

Also please remember that whatever power adder you chose - be it supercharger, turbocharger or N2O - many ancillary parts will need to be strengthened. You will be producing additional heat, stress, torque, traction loss et al.

All of this cost time and money, so budget for these items too. Do not just look at the purchase cost of your power adder and think "I can afford that".

I hope this helps a bit.

EG
Thanks alot for the reply buddy. I'm going to take some time out tomorrow and look at all of these things. Be safe

Quick Reply: For the guys with FI can you tell me why you prefer your method of choice