Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] A Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06[merged]

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 06:54 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06[merged]

Let me forewarn you, though I was very impressed with the car, I spoke my mind about the whole car so read at your own discretion.

Oh and this was a used car with several thousand miles so it was as broken in as it was gonna get before I drove it.

OMFG that was some fun, I mean that was serious bodily injury or death fun!

So now I know what all the hype is about, it is simply a stupid fast car. I mean stupid like if you don't look up the road in front of you before you punch it stupid cause your going to catch everything very quickly. The closest thing I can relate it to is on two wheels. I basically drove on the freeway in 2nd and 3rd gear and kept the car above 4K the entire time. When you punch it in 3rd at say 60 you literally say one one thousand two one thousand and before you hit three the speedo sweeps past 100. 100 and 110 was so effortless I cannot relate it to any other car I have ever driven. It is very very quick.

The car does feel big physically, you don't feel like you can put it in small places so it does not feel very nimble, a characteristic I have really enjoyed in other cars like the S2000, Boxster, 911 GT3. Steering inputs feel almost delayed, like a hair behind you. Its not bad but I have had better, my M3 certainly felt better and more intuitive. Overall blasting through traffic was an excercise in brute force, punch it, yank the wheel kind of activity vs. a thread the needle which persaonlly is more fun for me although the ferocity of acceleration is so addicting you can overlook the other drawbacks.

I did not find it to be to much to handle in terms of power. I ripped on it from the word go and it did not break the tires loose even when I nailed 1-2 upshifts. I did not drop the clutch from a standing start but I did punch it from a slow roll. All this talk about the back end getting away from you is either from a standing start or hamfisted throttle inputs through a corner, the car hooks up extremely well. I hit it getting on to the freeway onramp and 3/4 of the way up I am only in second gear and the speedo is swinging past 90, I had to let up and grab some brakes to match the flow of traffic. I basically punched it in second and third flew up to 110, jumped on the brakes and repeat as necessary or in my case as often as possible.

I put it in competition mode to allow for a little wheel slip and a little less intrusive stability, and I got one very minor power on slide through a corner and it was perfect, car was nuetral, zero drama. The brakes are sensational. Initial bite is fantastic, some might not like it, but it hauls the car down with authority and confidence. I was not that impressed with the ABS stop although it stopped quickly it was a bit of an on or off proposition, I didn't really drive it long enough to really figure out the whole program but they were not as progressive feeling as say a Porsche but they definetly slow the car down.

That said, I am really glad I did not buy this car. I know that I defended it here and some other forums but now I am forced to say that the car has a lot of compromises. The interior as much as I want it to be great isnt. In fact its really far below Porsche, farther than I had previously thought. In fact its downright flimsy and I understand why people say as much. Seat backs are cheesy, flex under load, steering wheel, **** it, the whole thing is still 45K Corvette end of story.

Now, let me repeat, the car accelerates so hard it will either make you laugh or scare the **** out of you over and over and over and it corners very flat and very fast, handles great, very nuetral, it does all of the go fast stuff really well but its just not for me. The interior really is that bad, it really is noisy, it really does have marginal visibility especially out the back and it just doesn't even get in the same postal code in terms of integrity. If you got out of a 911 and into this thing you would think its a noisy, poorly built car.

I do give Chevy mad props for building this car, I really loved it for the performance, I never turned on the radio and all I said the whole time I drove it was holy **** or OMFG and giggled. This car kills on the street. I think it would be a very funcar on the track. However for me personally, I think I would lose my license within a few months and or possibly kill myself as its just not useable on the street and not because its a bad car, it is very truly a street legal race car and simply cannot be exploited at all on public roads. Sorry this was so long but...................... Great ride.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:18 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,841 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
t is very truly a street legal race car and simply cannot be exploited at all on public roads. Sorry this was so long but...................... Great ride.
Good write-up, and I'm glad you finally had a chance to drive one. Some points regarding your opinions, and I'll start with the last one. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that say something like this. "Too much power for the street" or "can't be exploited on the street" etc.

I can't relate. I'm not sure what you (and others) mean by that. Are you saying that, somehow, a 400HP car is "exploitable" on the street, but a 500HP one isn't? Maybe the HP number is lower. 350HP maybe? 300HP perhaps? Who sets that number, and what qualifications do they have for that?

A torque-happy, high-HP car allows you the luxury of doing things in traffic, on public streets, that you just can't do with a slower car. See an opening in traffic that you want to be in? Get there. Want to make that turn now instead of waiting for the mile-long-line of cars to pass? Turn. Want to get by that slow-moving 18-wheeler without having to sit along side of him for long periods of time? Punch it.

The accelerator IS NOT a binary switch. It's not either on or off. It's variable: the more you put into it, the more you get from the car. So if you're in a situation where only 50% throttle will do, then give it 50%. If you see an opportunity to safely use 70% throttle, then use it. This is how I've driven every high-HP car I've ever been in or owned. Including my last LPE-modified C5.

Further, your opinion about it not being a Porsche. It never was. It never will be. It's not supposed to be. The Corvette has always been about bang-for-buck. Since 1953 (ok, maybe a little later, when they dropped Ed Cole's masterpiece into it). GM has always skimped a bit on interior quality, so that they could focus their R&D $ on the things that count for performance. Suspension. Chassis balance. Weight reduction. Oh yeah, and how can I forget? POWERTRAIN!

There are compromises to be made in every automotive design decision. In order to keep the Z06 (and every other Corvette for that matter) relatively affordable, they had to cut materials costs. That means using plastics where other makers would use leather. That means re-using parts from other cars when other auto makers would have stuff specially engineered.

Porsche and Ferrari also make compromises. They both make compromises where sales numbers are concerned. Corvette outsells all of their US-destined lines, combined. Each year. And Porsche, specifically, also makes compromises when it comes to all out performance. If you want a Porsche that can perform near a Z06 and have an interior to brag about, you're looking at a decked-out 997 Turbo. No C4 or C4S will ever touch a Z06, anywhere. So if you're willing to compromise with the Porsche, as far as purchasing price (ie, WAAAY higher,) then fine. Go for it and enjoy.

Remember: when the supposed "No compromise" McLaren F1 was built, it did, in fact, come with a compromise. Getting in and out of it was a bitch, and it's NOT a car to go cruising through town in. There are compromises in all automotive design. Which are you willing to live with?

jas
Old 08-22-2006, 07:22 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6spdvert
If you got out of a 911 and into this thing you would think its a noisy, poorly built car.
Nice writeup, but...

I have a '99 911 and I couldn't disagree w/ you more on this. The 997 is certainly a better-built and more refined car than its predecessor, but to say that abt the Z is a bit far-fetched.
Another thing to remember, the Z has so much more performance content than the P-car, but its 150 lbs lighter than a Carrera S.

Heck, I'll take some rawness over plushness any day, considering the radical performance difference.

We all have opinions though...
Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Good write-up, and I'm glad you finally had a chance to drive one. Some points regarding your opinions, and I'll start with the last one. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that say something like this. "Too much power for the street" or "can't be exploited on the street" etc.

I can't relate. I'm not sure what you (and others) mean by that. Are you saying that, somehow, a 400HP car is "exploitable" on the street, but a 500HP one isn't? Maybe the HP number is lower. 350HP maybe? 300HP perhaps? Who sets that number, and what qualifications do they have for that?

A torque-happy, high-HP car allows you the luxury of doing things in traffic, on public streets, that you just can't do with a slower car. See an opening in traffic that you want to be in? Get there. Want to make that turn now instead of waiting for the mile-long-line of cars to pass? Turn. Want to get by that slow-moving 18-wheeler without having to sit along side of him for long periods of time? Punch it.

The accelerator IS NOT a binary switch. It's not either on or off. It's variable: the more you put into it, the more you get from the car. So if you're in a situation where only 50% throttle will do, then give it 50%. If you see an opportunity to safely use 70% throttle, then use it. This is how I've driven every high-HP car I've ever been in or owned. Including my last LPE-modified C5.

Further, your opinion about it not being a Porsche. It never was. It never will be. It's not supposed to be. The Corvette has always been about bang-for-buck. Since 1953 (ok, maybe a little later, when they dropped Ed Cole's masterpiece into it). GM has always skimped a bit on interior quality, so that they could focus their R&D $ on the things that count for performance. Suspension. Chassis balance. Weight reduction. Oh yeah, and how can I forget? POWERTRAIN!

There are compromises to be made in every automotive design decision. In order to keep the Z06 (and every other Corvette for that matter) relatively affordable, they had to cut materials costs. That means using plastics where other makers would use leather. That means re-using parts from other cars when other auto makers would have stuff specially engineered.

Porsche and Ferrari also make compromises. They both make compromises where sales numbers are concerned. Corvette outsells all of their US-destined lines, combined. Each year. And Porsche, specifically, also makes compromises when it comes to all out performance. If you want a Porsche that can perform near a Z06 and have an interior to brag about, you're looking at a decked-out 997 Turbo. No C4 or C4S will ever touch a Z06, anywhere. So if you're willing to compromise with the Porsche, as far as purchasing price (ie, WAAAY higher,) then fine. Go for it and enjoy.

Remember: when the supposed "No compromise" McLaren F1 was built, it did, in fact, come with a compromise. Getting in and out of it was a bitch, and it's NOT a car to go cruising through town in. There are compromises in all automotive design. Which are you willing to live with?

jas
Great response!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:20 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

The Z06 is a factory street legal race car... End of story. The money spent to develop this car was spent on performance... not the interior!!!
Glad you have fun with it
Old 08-22-2006, 10:10 PM
GameDesignerXIX
Instructor

after all that i can only say.....

DAMN you are a great writer.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 PM
fiordav
Cruising

Default corvette interior

There valid points above. But I have to agree, I wish the interior parts quality was better. You know, another $200 bucks on better grade plastics would go along way. But then Chevy would sell twice as many, and we would have to wait twice as long for our favorite car !
Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fiordav
There valid points above. But I have to agree, I wish the interior parts quality was better. You know, another $200 bucks on better grade plastics would go along way. But then Chevy would sell twice as many, and we would have to wait twice as long for our favorite car !
I just want to not worry about my roof coming off....
Old 08-22-2006, 10:34 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Good writeup.

It trips me out when people come on the forum with their new Z06 and talks about how fast it is and that is is a street legal race car, blah. blah. Its obvious they must had a stock vette or some other kind of slower car before purchasing it
Old 08-22-2006, 10:42 PM
06C6Z
Burning Brakes

perception is reality for the poster.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:22 PM
JamRWS6
Racer

Originally Posted by fiordav
$200 might get you a really nice shift ****....otherwise not so much.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_EB_Z06
Good writeup.

It trips me out when people come on the forum with their new Z06 and talks about how fast it is and that is is a street legal race car, blah. blah. Its obvious they must had a stock vette or some other kind of slower car before purchasing it
Far out dude! Right on! All I can say is that I had a heavily modified (for open track) '03 Cobra. Not slow by any means but not even close to the Z06. The C6Z is #7 in Forbes list of the 10 fastest production cars in the world. Whilst you are "tripped out" think about that.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 AM
markbrown
Burning Brakes

Default must be getting numb

i never laughed so hard as i did when i read this guys review!

he's exactly the type guy my old lady smiles at me when i blast them off the road. it's like why bother.

hey good news for you the 07 now has on star and radio controls on the steering wheel and did you know it has two inches bigger glove box over the 06 you drove?

if you just wait you can soon have full leather interior air ride suspension and a mini bar with twinkle lights around it. ah heck why wait just go buy a Cadillac now and get it over with or maybe a BMW or Porsche..

just think your chauffer can drive you around while you eat cheese, drinking wine and reading robb report.

ps news flash the plastic interior of the z is for easy clean up when your passengers barf from pulling to many g's. a porsche doesn't have to worry about that.

Last edited by markbrown; 08-23-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:25 AM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

Thanks for not blowing me out of the water. My problem starts with the start button. I pushed the car every chance I got. MBrown, you are clueless my friend, you would be very hardpressed to find someone who drives as hard as I do.

The reality is I really loved the all out performance of the car but, I am not confident that I could drive the car in a reasonable and prudent manner and I know damn well if I had one I would drive it all the time. I need something slower so I don't hurt myself or someone else. Thats not being a *****, thats being responsible.

I understand the whole interior issue, but, we all agree, if the car were another 3500 bucks and the interior got a serious upgrade, there isn't a single one of us who wouldn't pay the added price.

Great, great great car, just not for me. Very glad I got a chance to experience it.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:20 AM
ricatthebeach
Drifting

Default A Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06

This guy really dug the car! Check it out...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=56585
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

05C6spdvert -

GREAT WRITE-UP!!!

I still want one

Also, I am the ONE person who would not spend an additional $3500 for a better interior.
I think both my C6s have a NICE interior.
I have all the creature comforts I could ever want except "MEMORY SEAT" in both my BASE C6s.

The ONLY problem I have with the C6 is the SEATS could adjust a little better, but that is my problem with every manual tranny car I have ever driven.

markbrown.com -

The only disagreement I have with you and others is:

You cannot use all this power on the street, not for safety, but becuase of the possibility of "Losing your license".

I've had my BASE C6 manual coupe since 7/15th and I have only went WOT in 1st a few times, not because I am a "P_SSY" (you all know I will hand you your azzes gladly at the dragstrip), but there is just too much LAW ENFORCEMENT around.

Heck, I figure I can get my STOCK (except for Corsa Sports) C6 manual tranny to run a 12.3-12.4, enough to scare or beat a few C6 Z06 owners, tat is seriously alot of performance for the street in terms of "Lose your License" capability.

With that said, I still want a C6 Z06

I'll just be a little bored on the street without being able to go WOT

For example, I traded in my 3&1/2 month old 350Z for my C6 coupe.
I was able to go WOT often on the street in my 350z and it was FUN, but....

I get the same fun at 1/3 throttle in my C6

So I am sure I will have fun at 1/4 throttle in my C6 Z06 if and when I get one.

We really need an autobahn in this GREAT COUNTRY of ours.
Keep all the Soccer moms and dads in their minivans in the right lanes of society along with MOST Buick and Volvo drivers

Howard

Get notified of new replies

To A Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06[merged]

Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 AM
alan64
Pro

mark brown, you are totally out to lunch on this one... this guy is expressing his opinion. And very well by the way. You are insulting for no reason.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Cosmic Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I drove a Z06 yesterday for the first time. I'm 63 year old and I loved the car. Since I have self discipline, I can responsibly determine when to use the HP.

I own a 740 il (and stuff) and I think the interior is fine; sue me. It is the ultimate experiential ride.

The price is market driven and still a bargain. Chevy could afford to put more luxury in the car and make money, but you can retrofit the seats and doll up the interior if that is what you want.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Bwright
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

jas
Genius. Well said.

Quick Reply: [Z06] A Porsche Owner's Take on the Z06[merged]