C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 11:30 PM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150!

I just finished the removable back window conversion in my 73 Coupe my family calls "Rat Vette." The removed back window sure does increase the "Cool factor" while the good times are rolling on.
The job was just as easy as I had assumed it would be and took longer than I thought it would, as I expected, about 6 -7 hours. The process was lengthed by trying to track down the hardware that I needed to put the plates and latches on with. Several trips to several places were the required norm.
i took my time and had my Dad give me a hand in the cut and fit stages. Our efforts paid off because the installation and removal process works very smooth, and the fit of my interior escuthions and roof panels are much better than on the cars I referenced at Carlisle.
I took the time to take numerous digital picts and would like to write a tech article for anyone itnerested in doing the same conversion. I wrote down the sizes of most of the hardware that I used and plan to include that information as well as tips and hints to note for a smooth successful installation process.
I did not check to see how well the window seals out water, because I installed a used rear window seal and plan on changing this to a new one,, that I figure will come in a weather stripping kit if I buy a 72 Coupe kit after the car is painted.

"When I drive my Corvette with the back window out,......
I get the sensation that I am eating a York Peppermint Patty
without the mess on my fingers and fat on my lobe!"

Write me if you want to know more, and can't wait for the planned tech update.
Be cool, (literally)
"TEACH"
Air conditioning and refrigeration class.....dismissed!
Old 09-09-2001, 12:16 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150! (73 Teach's Pet)

You are absolutely correct. I'm right in the middle of that project. I have the old window out and most of the old seal removed. I've been driving around the last month with the T-tops out and the back window out and this is probably as close to a convertible that you can get. I love it! It creates quite a breeze and the chambered exhaust sounds even better with the window out.

I've discovered that my '70 has all the mounting holes for the window and latches. What did you use to hold the upper latches in though? what size screws?
Old 09-09-2001, 12:31 AM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150! (1970 Stingray)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post this tech article. PICS! PICS! PICS!.

I would LOVE to do this to my '73 as well and don't want to start cutting stuff until I'm sure it can be done without permanently damaging anything.

THANKS AND CONGRATS! :cheers:
Old 09-09-2001, 12:39 AM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150! (73 Teach's Pet)

Teach

Glad you got it done.

Great feeling isn't it.

Congrats.

Terry
Old 09-09-2001, 01:13 AM
73 Teach's Pet
Instructor

70Stinger - I used #8 sheet metal screw speed clips part #665-1344 (they are "u" shaped and clip to a thin material) that I purchased at a NAPA store. There were 13 in the pack. They cost $5. I only needed two of them, but what is critical when you buy a speed clip, is that the distance from the fold of the clip to the edge of the screw hole is a decent distance or else you have very little material for the clip to clip onto, which can allow the clip to break off easily. At least that was my concern and observation of the short clips I looked at at the local hardware store. I also got 6 - #8 sheet metal screws that were a 5/8" in length. The 2 speed nut clips and screws were used to hold on the aluminum rectangular plates that mount to the bottom window opening . GM already had one speed clip in place to hold the plastic window molding in place. The other 4 sheet metal screws were used to hold the window latch escuthions in place.
I also purchased a quanity of four 1/4" - 20 speed clips to hold mount the window latches into place. I purchased a quanity of four 1/4" x 1/2" stainless hex head bolts and 4 external star washers to secure the latches to car with. I centered the latch left and right in the slot/opening in the overhead cross brace, then used an 1/8th" drill bit in a variable speed dremel tool to drill and grind the appropriate sized holes I needed to mount the top latches. I used the curved handled later style latches on my car because I found two sweet latches, but with broken springs for a buck a piece in dollar piles. I got only had onle rectangular handled early style latch in the back window deal. The early style latch has more mounting points, and appears studier in that respect, but I suspect would allow for less forward and backward adjustment, which is why I suspect that fhe actory may have changed the design to the two hole mouting latch. I traced the rectangular bottom mounting plate and scan and send it to you if you do not already have these. I think they cost like $15 a piece from Corvette America though. They are made of aluminum and are an 1/8th inch thick.

Corellian- - Iwill, I will,I will write that article for you, so long as you do the hard work and post the aritcle and corresponding picts. I'm not interested in taking the time to learn how to post the stuff, but I'll share the wealth (of knowledge, that is) DEAL?
No modifications are permanent enough to the car that they cannot be undone and hidden by interior pieces should you wish to change back later. I got one the two required notched interior roof pieces that have the latch handle slot cut in them in my back window package deal. Knowing that I will never change back to a sealed back window, I made the permanent change in notching the original interior piece. The condition and age of the original piece better matched the rest of the interior as compared the notched piece I got in the deal. I had to further notch that peice anyway to get it fit the escuthion the way I wanted it to. I used a fine tooth bladed band saw to cut the interior notches. I used a band saw because it was readily avaiable, but moreoverly the band saw blade does not reciporicate up and down, which is the action that I anticipated may pull the leather covering loose from the edges of the interior roof panel. More on this story later.

[Modified by 73 Teach's Pet, 11:14 PM 9/8/2001]
Old 09-09-2001, 01:13 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150! (1970 Stingray)

I thought all 68-72 Coupe's had removable rear windows. Am I wrong?
Old 09-09-2001, 09:06 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150! (Steve Straus)

Thanks Teach :lol:

Steve---I'm begining to think your correct. My '70 when I bought it had a "fixed" window. Only after I removed the fixed window could I see that the vette was prepared for a pop-out window. 'Ol Bubba probably removed everything he could and sold it----the 350-350 engine, the seat belts and now the rear window. I haven't seen new ones for sale and they ain't cheap used.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:28 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

You can get all the pieces needed off of ebay, I did. The pieces were also for sale at Carlisle. The removable window was standard on 68-72 Vettes.
I have removed my 73's window and installed the weatherstripping, last weekend. It's not difficult. Maybe today I'll mount the window hardware.

Roger
Old 09-09-2001, 09:30 AM
Anar76
Burning Brakes

Yea that was definatly a good conversion.
I did it to my `76 and it increased airflow tremendusly.
I bought 72 rear panels (where the latchs for the window are)
With the latch area cut out so it saved alot of work for me.
It really was an easy install, I had no problems.
Glad you had the same effect

Get notified of new replies

To Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150!

Quick Reply: Coolest modification you can do to a C3 for under $150!