Sponsored by:

Finally replaced the door seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:38 AM
hardtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally replaced the door seals

After dealing with water coming into the cabin, I finally tackled the leaking car issue. They gradually worsened over the years until I couldn't have gotten wetter had I left the windows down while driving in the rain.

I called Gene @ Fred Beans and he set me up with everything I needed. Thankfuly Gene knows Vettes.

I tried to reuse some of the parts on the passenger side but decided to replace everything on the driver side.

I spent to much time trying to clean all the old gunk off the passenger side pieces. Also had a hard time sealing all the leaks after reinstall.

Driver side went much smoother. Still a lot of cleaning off the body, but easy install since all the parts were new.

I didn't replace the doors weather strip since they are still in good shape.

Did several leak checks prior to replacing the interior. I think this is the driest it has been in here since I owned her.

Also found that water was leaking thru the rivets that hold the trunk hinge to the trunk. I am looking for something to seal it up that will also be visually appealing.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:56 AM
5W0P3
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, i wondered how hard that was, my driver side has a small snag in it. I think i'll wait till it gets worse or leaks before i tackle that!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:55 PM
LT Money
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running into similar issue

I have a 2000 coupe. Water was first coming in from below the passenger speaker. Think it is seal to the roof/hardtop. I am interested in what you wrote about the rivets.

Then I started to notice water leaking on the drivers seat. Yesterday it poored and I got a good amount of water along the drivers door roof liner. And back towards the speaker. I have to take it in somewhere but I am trying to understand what the issue is so I do not get hosed at the shop.

I was thinking of writing later when I get into it.
Please send me any info/tips: lawrencehays@gmail.com
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Looks like it was quite a job. Glad you got most of the water stopped.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally replaced the door seals

Quick Reply: Finally replaced the door seals