C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Emergency Brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Emergency Brake adjustment

Can someone tell me the correct way to adjust the E-Brake on a 65 Vette. The handle pulls 4-5 clicks but still drifts some. The car has 3000 miles since frame off and new shoes were put on at that time for E brake. TIA
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

It sound like you have them adjusted but they're not doing much. You might want to try this from an old Chilton's manual:
"After installation of new linings, the shoes should be burnished. At a speed of 50 mph, apply the parking brakes until a slight drag is felt. Keep the brakes on for approximately 50-60 seconds."
Old 08-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Is there an adjustment for the shoes themselves? Is it the slot in rotors? Are they adjusted like the old type drum brakes? TIA
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtyeguy
Is there an adjustment for the shoes themselves? Is it the slot in rotors? Are they adjusted like the old type drum brakes? TIA
yes
yes
almost
Procedure from the service manual; remove wheels; rotate rotor/drum to see adjuster, tighten with screwdriver in hole aligned to star wheel by moving the handle away from the floor until the wheel locks - then back off 10 star wheel teeth (clicks). After that, adjust the cable under the driveshaft.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 AM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, I just got the car last night, and knew brake was weak, and I wanted to stay up all night( like Chrismas ) and play with it, but I wanted some opinions and a clear head and will fix it today when I am done work. Should I call out sick?????? Thanks again
Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Okay.I tried both and improved only little. I am wondering if I only back off 5 clicks, will it put to much drag on the rotors? Shoes r new adjuster new and cables new, and it just grabs. I adjusted cable also and still not enough to trust on a hill. Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

1. Loosen parking brake cables at equalizer until brake levers move freely to the "off" position.
2. Tighten adjusters until discs will not move.
3. Back each adjuster off 10 notches.
4. Apply parking brake from inside of car 4 notches.
5. Tighten brake cables at equalizer to produce a light drag with the wheels mounted.
6. Fully release parking brake handle and rotate the back wheels. No drag should be evident with the handle released.
7. Try burnishing the shoes.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:56 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

I think that backing off the adjustor 10 clicks is excessive. I just did mine and I believe after 5 clicks I could just hear a slight rub on one spot of each rotation. There is no way that new shoes are going to follow the curvature of the drum. I would make some low speed runs and pull lightly on the park brake handle off and on a few times, letting the brakes cool in between. Then go back and readjust them. That's how I have always done it on older cars without self adjusting drum brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To Emergency Brake adjustment

Quick Reply: Emergency Brake adjustment