Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] ***First Look ECS Twin Turbo***

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default ***First Look ECS Twin Turbo***

Hey guys, wanted to give everyone a heads up as to what we have been doing. We are working with Rick at STS to come up with a kit that will work on the new Z06. We are starting with his base C6 kit and making a few changes to adapt it to the new Z. So far everthing has been going very well and we are very happy with the fit and finish. We are woking on making a kit to offer to the market once we have all the bugs worked out on fitment. We are going to be offering the first 2 as an in house install first and then look to get a kit made. We are planning on running 5 pounds and making 575-600 rwhp. We should be tuning this car next week so we will be posting dyno sheets then for you guys. The car will be out at Carlisle if anyone ones to see it up close. Pricing will be released in a week or so.. Any questions, feel free to post or call us.
Attached Images       

Home of the Fastest Supercharged C5 8.4 @ 158mph
Home of the Fastest Supercharged IRS GTO 9.0@ 155
Home of the Fastest Supercharged C6 9.7 @ 143mph

Proud Sponsor of the ECS Corvette Challenge
http://www.corvettechallenge.info

609-752-0321
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 PM
MHaynes772
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

How well do you think the motor is going to hold?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MHaynes772
How well do you think the motor is going to hold?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:46 PM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Webfoot
My thoughts exactly.
We are really only asking for 125-150 rwhp gain, we will be running only 5 pounds of boost and spraying methanol for added protection..
Old 08-11-2006, 06:51 PM
C5 Frank
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks very nice!! Good luck with it! I know there are alot of others that have had issues with power adders on the Z. Sounds like you are keeping it simple.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:29 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

what would be the benefits of a twin turbo, over a supercharger? A supercharger should make at least 125 to 150hp. I know supercharger kits are around 6 or $7k for the Z. I am very interested in the answer to this question, as I have absolutely no idea which would be more efficient.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

What is the piping in the wheel wells? Clearance problems?
Old 08-11-2006, 09:07 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Cool
Old 08-11-2006, 09:10 PM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by blandcastle
what would be the benefits of a twin turbo, over a supercharger? A supercharger should make at least 125 to 150hp. I know supercharger kits are around 6 or $7k for the Z. I am very interested in the answer to this question, as I have absolutely no idea which would be more efficient.
At the same boost levels turbos are more efficient. Since we cant run much boost at all on this engine we decided to not make a supercharger and do a TT. A supercharger takes hp to spin it so in simple terms, running a supercharger at 5 pounds you are using about 1 1/2 pounds to spin the blower. We felt that the turbos would be better suited at a lower boost to make the power were are shooting. Besides the fact that the sound of these GT32's spooling up is pure ear candy
Old 08-11-2006, 09:11 PM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by NORTY
What is the piping in the wheel wells? Clearance problems?
nope, its the ducting running from the turbos up front to the engine. These are rear mount turbos.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:15 PM
GregZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by blandcastle
Night and day difference. There is a reason that top fuel dragsters can only be supercharged...because a turbo would produce too much hp and speed to be 'safe'. A midsized turbo (70mm) could easily push over 900whp with a very good spool on a 7.0L motor. I have a 76mm turbo and that hits 30psi at 5200, so you are looking at about 3000rpms full boost at 30. But at 5psi it should be instant.

As for reliability with this system, i predict there wont be many problems. 5psi is so insignificant that guys are going to be getting this and going to 8-10 within the first 2 weeks. The motor should be able to handle that, i understand the compression is somewhat high, but 10psi is no stretch for this motor.
Within a year I'm sure tuners will be having packages with built bottom ends and lower compressions to boost up around 20psi which would probably be well over 1000whp. Turbos are very exciting and fun, especially when mixing it with a large dispacement motor.

hope that helps

Greg
Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
GregZ
Instructor

Also, forgot to add, a twin turbo system will have a great power curve compared to a supercharger. The SC always increases power linearly. It never bows out, thus resulting in minimal power under the curve. As opposed to a TT system that has great low end torque and a more steady hp curve with plenty of power under the curve. So a 150whp gain from each setup will yield completely different results heavily in the favor of the TT system.

Greg
Old 08-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Webfoot
Drifting

Sounds interesting. Any price on it yet?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Webfoot
Sounds interesting. Any price on it yet?
Should have final pricing in a week or so.. We will keep you guys posted
Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Great job Chris
Old 08-11-2006, 10:52 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Hey guys, wanted to give everyone a heads up as to what we have been doing. We are working with Rick at STS to come up with a kit that will work on the new Z06. We are starting with his base C6 kit and making a few changes to adapt it to the new Z. So far everthing has been going very well and we are very happy with the fit and finish. We are woking on making a kit to offer to the market once we have all the bugs worked out on fitment. We are going to be offering the first 2 as an in house install first and then look to get a kit made. We are planning on running 5 pounds and making 575-600 rwhp. We should be tuning this car next week so we will be posting dyno sheets then for you guys. The car will be out at Carlisle if anyone ones to see it up close. Pricing will be released in a week or so.. Any questions, feel free to post or call us.

Awesome!!!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:03 PM
supercar1
Intermediate

rear mounted turbos?? any pics of this? very interesting!

Get notified of new replies

To ***First Look ECS Twin Turbo***

Old 08-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Is that your car Chris?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:22 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GregZ
There is a reason that top fuel dragsters can only be supercharged...because a turbo would produce too much hp and speed to be 'safe'.
Greg
Small point, but... Turbos are great, but don't think that's the reason why top-fuel cars don't use them. Obviously, they could easily control the maximum boost level if that were the issue.

Once you get into nitro-burning cars, the exhaust pressure, pulse, and shock wave are huge and would require a gigantic turbo to not over-rev or blow up. In addition, if you watch top-fuel dragsters, you will frequently see a cylinder go out and huge amounts of raw fuel will pour out of the exhaust -- this would be deadly to a turbo.

Nitro cars are extremely hard to tune to hook up and need predictable power levels at every RPM and this is tied to timing of the engagement of each clutch disc. There is a precise boost level directly tied to engine RPM with a super-charger.

Finally, the other factor in super-charging is the top-fuel guys want to put on a show and nothing is quite as spectacular as seeing the 30 foot flames shooting out of each exhaust header at night.

That aside - I'd still be very interested in the option of adding turbo's to my C6Z...
Old 08-12-2006, 02:01 AM
GregZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgdoc
Small point, but... Turbos are great, but don't think that's the reason why top-fuel cars don't use them. Obviously, they could easily control the maximum boost level if that were the issue.

Once you get into nitro-burning cars, the exhaust pressure, pulse, and shock wave are huge and would require a gigantic turbo to not over-rev or blow up. In addition, if you watch top-fuel dragsters, you will frequently see a cylinder go out and huge amounts of raw fuel will pour out of the exhaust -- this would be deadly to a turbo.

Nitro cars are extremely hard to tune to hook up and need predictable power levels at every RPM and this is tied to timing of the engagement of each clutch disc. There is a precise boost level directly tied to engine RPM with a super-charger.

Finally, the other factor in super-charging is the top-fuel guys want to put on a show and nothing is quite as spectacular as seeing the 30 foot flames shooting out of each exhaust header at night.

That aside - I'd still be very interested in the option of adding turbo's to my C6Z...

yes, i agree that they could control them. But they would easily be running in the 3s in a 1/4 mile as absurd as that sounds. Maybe its cost, sponsorship, liability, but they will not allow the switch to turbos because of the hp increases. look it up, its a fact. I'm not trying to be rude, but it is what it is...turbos are just far superior to superchargers.

Quick Reply: [Z06] ***First Look ECS Twin Turbo***